COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Need Advice from you Experts!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 09:33 AM
Sandra

Need Advice from you Experts!

Where should my husband and I spend a week vacation in late March or early April? We are 30 with no kids and want to go some place beachy that has a good pool. We want to snorkel but he doesn't do well on boats, so it would be great if we could go somewhere with good snorkeling available right off the beach.

Hubby has to eat on a set schedule so I'm thinking we should go to an all-inclusive resort or else rent something that has its own kitchen. We don't have the luxury of wandering cities that are new to us looking for restaurants.

We don't have a particular budget in mind but we are not rich and would like to keep costs down as much as possible! We can't afford Atlantis but I think we might be able to afford a Sandals. I'm very interested in any input related to Cancun (especially: when do Spring Breakers take over?). I understand Mexico is pretty cheap.

What are the hotel costs like in the USVI?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Sandra

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 10:00 AM
Sandra

A couple more questions... are there any inclusive resorts on Isla Mujeres?

Is Allegro Resort Cozumel recommended? The prices posted on their web site seem good.

Thanks again,
Sandra

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 12:39 PM
Mariarosa

Sandra,
Try posting your questions in a board with more Mexico travelers. For example, post it in the Fodors Latin America forum or you might try:
www.cancun.com
www.cancunandrivieramaya.com

Good luck!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 01:56 PM
CB

Try looking at the Dominican Republic. I have not gone yet but plan to do some research. There are a number of great all inclusive resorts and the DR is supposed to be one of the cheapest islands in the caribbean. I have read many articles from various travel magazines and books that recommend the Dominican Republic for its bang for the buck.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Sandra

Thank you Mariarosa and CB for the helpful information!

Sandra

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 09:18 AM
jerry

cozumel was great for my wife to go snorkeling for the first time.(she does'nt swim very well)we spent our honeymoon there.all you need is a moped (rental)to see the entire island.you'll find small beaches everyplace.its a great place to relax

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:17 PM
mike

ST. John has a great assortment of villas with pools. Try caribbeanvilla.com or cateredto.com

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Kim

We are Sandals people all the way and have been to a few of the resorts. I think a Sandals would be great for you food is everywhere all day long and the beach at Sandals Negril is awsome 7 miles long and wonderful sunsets. I think I would stay away from Cancun at that time of yr (to many spring breakers) and you dont have to worry about getting sick in Jamaica. Email me if you would like specifics I would be happy to respond!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Jackie

I haven't been, but the out islands of the Bahamas might be just what you're looking for, like maybe Abaco or Harbour Island. They have a lot of restaurants, but also have a lot of lodgings with kitchenettes, which makes eating on your own schedule easier. Quite a few of those places have pools, too. I believe there is snorkeling right off the beaches there, and the prices are among the most reasonable in the Carribean. Good luck finding something appropriate.