Reload this Page >

nature + cuisine + beach

Search

nature + cuisine + beach

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:49 AM
gina

nature + cuisine + beach

Where can I get a bit of the rain forest, great food, and be on the beach? All in one resort, that is.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 07:03 AM
Kim

Sandals St. Lucia!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 07:11 AM
gina

Prefer place which allows kids, and not a chain. Anything else?

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Adrienne P

Gina, <BR> Try Puerto Rico. Here are two resorts that I would recommend for your family: <BR>-The WestinRioMar(www.westinriomar.com) in Rio Grande. Rio Grande is 45 minutes east of the capitol of PR- San Juan. Here you have the El Yunque Rain Forest and Luquillo Beach (the most famous beach in PR). You are also about 1/2 hour from ferries (in Fajardo) to the islands of Culebra and Vieques. Old San Juan would also be a great day trip. <BR>-- You could also try Wyndham El Conquistador Resort and Country Club in Las Croabas (www.wyndham.com). This is approx. an hour east of San Juan directly on the eastern coast. I have heard rave reviews about this resort. <BR>-- Unfortunately, they are both chains, but they do meet all your other preferences. Good Luck! If you need any additional info about Puerto Rico,feel free to e-mail me directly. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR> <BR>P.S.- Costa Rica might be another place to consider.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:52 AM
gina

Thanks. Isn't there anything like this in French or English-speaking Caribbean? <BR>I have been looking into Pink Sands, Cap Jaluca, Malliouhana, La Samanna. I've been to Young Island, but I would like a bit better. Help!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:34 PM
L

I returned from St. Lucia about a week and a half ago. We stayed at the Hilton Jalousie Plantation, which is in the southern part of the island and seems like it might be what you're looking for. Obviously, the Hilton is a chain but it doesn't have the "feel" of a chain AT ALL. All of the rooms are individual villas, and kids seem very welcome. The food is not amazing but we ate at some very good restaurants, a few of which were truly fantastic. The rainforest is literally right there. The staff at the hotel was accomodating and incredibly friendly, and everyone we met on the island was nice. The hotel is first class. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. St. Lucia is probably lushest island you'll fnd in the English/French speaking Caribbean.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:38 PM
penny

Gina, Malliouhana has a new kids pool on Meads Bay, Pirate Ship and all. Anguilla has no rain forest, arid and dry, but beautiful beaches, food and people. Malliouhana and Cap Juluca are much nicer than La Samanna.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:27 AM
Paul

The lushest (i.e., beautiful tropical rainforests) islands include Dominica (which I think is the most beautiful of all, for this), Guadeloupe (Basse-Terre), St. Lucia and Martinique (northern half). Forget about beaches in Dominica. Guadeloupe has some fine places fronting it's huge rainforest, such as Le Jardin Malanga, but you'll be a mile or two from a beach (black sand) beach, beautiful Grande Anse in Trois Rivieres. Most beautiful beach hotels are on Guadeloupe's other island, Grande-Terre, and it's about 1 hr drive to the rainforest. Martinique has beautiful rainforest in the north, but its best beaches are in the south. Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia has a lovely beach, and is fairly close to the rainforest.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:10 PM
gina

I had heard that about Jalousie. Though I know Anguilla is arid, Cap Jaluca looks heavily landscaped (from pictures). Regarding the French islands, it's really that you can't have it all, then, isn't it? <BR>What about Pink Sands?