Search

Nassau vs. G. Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Trisha

Nassau vs. G. Cayman

Am interested in comparing Nassau and Grand Cayman's "outdoor activities".<BR>Who has better snorkeling?<BR>Would be travelling with husband & 2 teenage sons who like to be kept busy on vacation. We're middle class people who save our money to really have some serious fun. Am considering Comfort Suites in Nassau, or a condo on the northern portion of 7 Mile Beach. Am aware of Stingray City and the turtle farm for excursions at G. Cayman. What's there to do in Nassau?<BR>Also, if anyone is aware of cost difference, please let me know. Seems like we would be spending a good amount of cash on meals regardless of where we go. We definitely will be eating dinner out every night. Grand Cayman seems to have more choices for restaurants. True?<BR>Any opinions/info out there would really be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Kim

Trish, I have an excursion sheet for Nassau if intrested you can email me .

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Gail

If you are staying at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island, you will have full access to all the facilities at the Atlantis Resort. You teenagers will have a blast there! Atlantis has about 11 pools, several HIGH water slides, great beach.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
xxx

Hands down Cayman has the better snorkeling! And check on the turtle farm - pretty much destroyed in Hurricane Michelle and not supposed to be finished rebuilding until June 2003.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:49 AM
kaya

Grand Cayman definitely has better outdoor activities, especially if you have two teenagers with you. Stingray City is an amazing adventure to experience. Take a daysail and go conch diving for lunch. Take a ferry ride to Rum Point. Fun, fun, fun! GC's beaches are by far better than Nassau's- GC has the famous and beautiful Seven Mile Beach. Driving is very easy in GC (hopefully you're accustomed to driving on the left!). <BR><BR>As for food, GC does have an array of restaurants- high end to local food (local food was very very good!). You can save money by going to the market to pick up sandwiches and sodas for lunch (they sell styrofoam coolers). <BR><BR>If you're on a budget, I suppose Nassau would suit your wallet. But if money isn't an issue, I would highly recommend going to GC. You and your kids will have a wonderful time in GC. <BR><BR>Let us know which one you choose!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Daniel Williams

hi<BR><BR>In choosing between Nassau and Grand Cayman, I think you'll have to ask yourself what you're looking for. Nassau is a city of about 250,000 people, while the total population of the entire Cayman Islands is around 35,000. I don't know Grand Cayman except from research, but my understanding is it's for a peaceful vacation with beautiful beaches and water activity. Nassau will have more restaurant and nightlife options for you than Grand Cayman (although there seem to be enough restos on GC to keep you busy from what I understand); cost will be less prohibitive in Nassau, but Nassau's not a cheap destination either, particularly if you want to stay by one of the nice beaches. The beaches I saw on New Providence Island (Nassau) were quite beautiful and there is plenty of watersport activity available; although I can't compare the snorkeling GC vs. Nassau, I do know that divers/snorkelers at my hotel near Nassau had a great time.<BR><BR>have a great time whatever you decide. DAN

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Trisha

Thanks to all who replied!<BR>Definitely leaning toward G Cayman. Have been to Nassau with my husband, just for a day excursion from a cruise ship. It was a wonderful day, but, I think I'd like to broaden our horizons and go somewhere we've never been. Perhaps one day we'll get to hang at the Atlantis. Who knows?<BR>A condo at Grand Cayman sounds like it would be perfect for us. Won't be going until next year, so we're still in the browsing mode.<BR>Thanks again everyone!