Move to Cayman's and work as an interior designer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of moving to the Caymans after finishing my masters degree, probably not for about three years though. In the mean time, I want to get to know everything I can about working as an interior designer there. I think I have a pretty good feel on living there without having visited as of yet (im working on a trip for december) but I am concerned about my work field. I would llike to own my own interior design firm after a while and was wondering if there was anyone that could provide me with some information. My bachelor's will be in interior design and I plan for my major to be in business management. I am also looking into purchasing real estate. Now your turn!
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM

curious why you would choose to move somewhere you've never been?? what is it you think you'll like about it? what is the feel on living there that you have? i don't mean to be dismissive but it's highly unlikely you actually do and a week or 2 vacation in a resort in not particularly indicative of what real island life is like. i'd suggest you spend all next summer there - at the least. get a rest/bar job, have an apt, do laundry, shop, etc.
here's some reading to start on: http://www.caymannewresident.com/page_id_5.html
fyi: that $150,000CI they require for persons not wanting to work converts to US$187,500

there's a section titled 'establishing a business' on the left: " For a business that is not a 'Local Business', acquiring the T&B Licence is a matter of discretion for the Trade & Business Licensing Board who will consider, amongst other things, if the business will compete with local Caymanian owned businesses and whether it will bring any benefit to the Islands. A T&B Licence is rarely granted to a non 'Local Business'.
If you want to start a business but don't know a Caymanian or a Caymanian Status holder to go into business with, then it is possible to advertise for a Caymanian business partner and become a minority shareholder in the 'Local Business'. The relationship between shareholders can be governed by a shareholders agreement which can determine how shareholders will deal with profits etc"
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM

designlove won't be able to work on Grand Cayman without applying for and be granted a Work Permit. These are hard to get for permanant positions and virtually impossible to get for a "summer job".

The same website (www.caymannewresident.com) that Virginia referenced with respect to starting a business on Grand Cayman has information on what it takes to apply for a Work Permit.

If designlove is a US citizen he/she will find it infinitely easier to relocate/live/work/start a business in Pureto Rico, Vieques, Culebra or on any of the US Virgin island as he/she will already have "legal status". All other Carribean islands will have similar laws and restrictions as Grand Cayman so the immigration/work permit process is the only route available.

Similarily, if designlove is a citizen of an EU country then he/she will be able to easily relocate/live/work/start a business on any of the French or Dutch controlled islands.

All other islands are independent nations or federations - all with pretty strict rules regarding outsiders living and/or working on those islands.