Montego Bay

Nov 28th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Georgina

Montego Bay

My boyfriend and I are taking our first trip together to the Jack Tar Village in Montego Bay Feb 2002. We want some information about the resort, things to do, safety while there, nightlife, etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nov 28th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Penney

Martaritaville is great fun - good food and drink and adult water slide into the ocean.

If you really want to venture out, head to Negril - Ricks Cafe for the cliff diving at sunset.

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:45 PM
vlouisv

Better yet, skip Mo Bay altogether. Just head for Negril. You're going all that way already, what's another 1.5 hours? Mo bay is ugly, teeming with hustlers, and full of tourists. Plus the beaches are nothing to write mamma about.

I'd seriously think about a different island altogether, now that you mention it. Jamaica leaves much to be desired.

Nov 28th, 2001, 03:55 PM
MARGO

MY HUSBAND AND I STAYED AT ROUND HILL IN MONTEGO BAY. THE GROUNDS WERE MOST BEAUTIFUL, FOOD GOOD. THERE IS NOTHING TO DO IN MONTEGO BAY. THE MARKETS WERE TRASHY AND THE LOCALS SWARM YOU. WE WILL NEVER RETURN TO MONTEGO BAY. WE'VE HEARD THAT OCHO RIOS IS MUCH BETTER.

Nov 28th, 2001, 03:59 PM

GeorginaK, you booked a package tour for the price. MoBay is fine if you're selective about it. Since you're staying at Jack Tar to save money, splurge on other things NOT at the resort. Book dinner,dress up and go dancing with your bf at Round Hill/classic Jamaica with a Ralph Lauren spin. The Pier and Margueritaville are young,party crowd,rowdiest on weekends. Glistening Waters is also an option but most of the dancing/club scene is hotel-oriented. Go out to dinner at The Native on Gloucester Ave,albeit the tourist strip. You're a coupla hours from Negril which is worth a day trip but avoid the cliche crowds at Rick's and have lunch at Cosmo's or dinner at Charela Inn. OK/Rick's ok for drinks only. Bypass Dunn's River Falls in favor or Mayfields Falls or YS Falls.
Better yet, do some research and find out what you're in the mood to do that's outside the resort:horseback riding,snorkeling with stingrays, spa visits, gardens, waterfalls, restaurants,dancehalls -- how 'real' do you want to get.And then, hire an expert guide who can take you there and open your eyes in comfort. For the past 5 years, we've recommended Carolyn Barrett ,who's based in the MoBay area at Barrett Town,ironically, but who can take you anywhere on island to virtuallly anything you fancy. E-mail me and I'll send you a sampler of her excursions. For a week in Jamaica, figure you'll probably want to venture forth from the resort at least 2-3 times. Downtown MoBay, outside the Galley of West Indian Art, and restaurants like Richmond Hill, The Native,etc. have little to hold your sustained interest and expand the appeal of real Jamaica for you.

Nov 28th, 2001, 06:53 PM
pam

I really recommend going to round hill, even if it is just for dinner. it is a very elegant resort with wonderful service and food.

Nov 29th, 2001, 05:05 AM
chazz

My favorite spot in MoBay was Doctor's Cave Beach - very near Jack Tar, but a better beach.

Lots of good excursions available - plantation tours, river rafting, waterfalls, Negril, sail/snorkel trips, etc.

Dec 4th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Georgina

Thanks for the info. You appear to be one of the few that did not trash Montego Bay I would love to get some other information regarding tours ets. My email is [email protected].

Thanks again.

Dec 9th, 2001, 06:39 AM
tivertonhouse

Georgina/Did you receive sampler?
--hope you received.if not,please remail me and will resend. Had to go through your company's disclosure pre-service to send you

Dec 10th, 2001, 07:55 AM
ohliz

Nothing wrong with MoBay but it is a real city, not a remote beach/village setup. Also, the beaches are mostly private for hotels or public/you pay - like Doctor's Cave. The water is clean and clear and you can snorkel offshore there. No hassles at Doctor's Cave, it's completely developed for tourists now and non-concessions aren't allowed to sell anything. Not a "real" JA experience but one free of offers to sell you stuff.

Lots of good tours from MoBay - waterfalls, horseback riding, take an excursion to the south coast and see what not-very-developed-for-tourism looks like (lovely and is hassle-free also).

I second tiv's recommendation - get a private driver (we recently used Carolyn's husband Errol, great guy) and let him or her plan some trips with you. You'll have a guide who knows what's where and is safe, you can drink and THEY drive, you're on your own schedule, etc.

Negril is cool too, we used to stay in MoBay and go to Negril for the day a lot (we stay in Negril usually now).
Liz