Search

Mexican Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 06:43 PM
Charlie

Mexican Caribbean

Lucky me, I just won a 3 night trip to the Iberostar Tucan Resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.Has anyone stayed there who can give me some thoughts and/or afterthoughts? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Karen

You might want to post under "latin american" and get more responses than here even tho it is still Caribb! We were just north of Playa in March for a stay and it is a great area. Playa is enjoyable with many great little restarants and we did Tulum/Coba, Chichen-Itza (by plane it is a half a day), Cozumel and wasted some time checking out Cancun. It is a very interesting area, the people are great and we had a wonderful time!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Leila

Lucky you! Playa is a great town with beautiful beaches and alot to do, while weve been there 4 times, never stayed at the Iberostar, but from the trip reports and pics Ive seen on this following website, you should have an excellent time! <BR> <BR>http://www.xaac.com/playaboard/ <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 12:51 PM
Charlie

Wow ! Leila thanks for the web site and info. I found answers to questions that I didn't yet know I had. Thanks again !!

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Jackie (in Rochester,NY)

You might also want to check out the message board at www.cancunandrivieramaya.com. There are lots of Iberostar fans on that site. <BR> <BR>Jackie <BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:08 PM
mary

I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan shortly after it opened (almost didn't go due to Hurricane Mitch) for a friends wedding and it was aboslutely beautiful. I heard it's even better now. Marble floors and bathrooms, lush grounds with waterfalls outside of the restaurants, wildlife, great pools, etc. Service was great. Say "hi" to Felipe at the stage-area bar. He was the best. Always had my brandy alexander waiting for me. Got tired of the food, however. It seemed they catered to the Europeans style of eating. But I could be wrong. Couldn't wait to get back to Wisconsin and have real cheese, milk, etc. Didn't even seem to be very authentic Mexican food. Don't get me wrong, the presentation was gorgeous and you could always find something. But the food is really a minor issue when you compare it to the entire resort and you'll love it nonetheless. Spend a day at Xcaret--a 15 minute ride. That was the highlight of our trip. The $10/$15 ferry ride from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel was fun too. For more info. on the resort, check out www.wheretostay.com. Once you're on the Iberostar page, arrow down to the start of many fantastic reviews. Hope you have a great time. I can't wait to go back. I would definitely stay there again.