Search

Mermaid Beach Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:21 AM
julie

Mermaid Beach Club

Would anyone be willing to share information on this hotel? The location looks perfect for us. Does the Surf Side compare at all? I read last summer about erosion at Surf Side, damaging the beach and stairs there. Is that still the case? How do the beaches compare? We are planning a trip with the kids, 3 & 9 either the third week in April or mid May. Is the weather very risky in late April? Keep in mind it's 28 degrees as I type.....

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:31 AM
julie

Sorry, my question is about Bermuda. I didn't realize that this message would post in the general Caribbean category as well.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 02:34 PM
patrick

Julie, my wife and I have stayed at the Surf Side beach club a few times and at Longtail Cliffs, which is next door to the Mermaid Beach Club. The beach at the Mermaid is bigger but you would find ample room, and a bit mor seclusion at the SSBC, plus it has a nice pool. The downside with the SSBC is that they do not have a restrauant although the units have small kitchen areas and that you do have to walk down the stairs cut in coral to access the beach areas. The restrauant at the MBC is not greta but it would do in a pinch. <BR>Another option would be the GRape Bay Cottages --there are two one is called Crest Home and the otehr is Beach Home. they are two bedroom single bath units located 75 feet from Grape bay beach, which is a private beach with about ten homes on it. This is closer to hamilton and adjacenet to the former American Consulate. It is nice because it is private and yet you have a cottage all to yourself. It will be more expensive than the others and can be booked through Bermuda Small Hotel Association. You also get daily maid service. My wife and I have stayed in both units on our last three trips to bermuda. One last item, Bermuda is very pricey now -- 15-yeras ago it was quite reasonable but no more. I know because I go every year and I'm leaving for a short golf vacation on Feb 1. Lastly, the weather is likely to be cool in April. We usually go around mid-May and by then it is warm enough for swimming etc. I'm from NH so I know what the cold is like but I have been in Bermuda in early May wishing I had waited a week or two.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Another Julie

<BR>We really liked the low key feeling of the Mermaid (not as dressy as other places). Agree about the restaurant, just average but still expensive. BUT! I read on another board that the Mermaid's beach washed almost completely away last season & that it was being remodeled into timeshares or condos. Can anyone veryify this? Are the units still available for rent? How about the condition of the beach? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Julie <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:21 AM
Julie

Thanks Patrick and Julie. I've read that the Surf Side has recently opened a restaurant called the Palms. It sounds nice and it's great to have that option. How did you like Longtail? We are also considering Stonington Beach. Any comments? I like the sound of Grape Bay too. Where would YOU stay with kids of that age? We are all very active, and love to snorkle (not the 3 yr. old yet). We would like to be on or a stone's throw from a nice beach.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:18 AM
Another Julie

<BR>Julie, the only other place we've stayed was Grotto Bay. Pleasant place, but not on the ocean. Water is calm for snorkeling but not much to see in the harbor, except a sunken boat just off shore. <BR> <BR>We found good snorkeling at Church Bay & at the beach between the fort & St. George golf club. There's also a snorkel park at the Dockyard, but we never made it there. the kids might enjoy swimming & snorkeling in the cave at Grotto Bay. The water's sparkling, but cold since it's underground, but there are pockets of warm water as you dive down to look at the formations. It's not deep. No fish. Place is lit but can be spooky. Very cool. Wear tennies or aqua socks cause the rocks are slippery. The cave is small & non guests can use it (free) certain hours during the day. Call & ask. Would make for good video of the kids. The little cave is not a major attraction. Just a little cave. <BR> <BR>Have heard only good things about the Stonington. Also, I agree with Patrick, the later you can push your dates back the better (except for pricing) if being in the water is high on your list. <BR> <BR>Patrick, which of the 2 cottages at Grape Bay do you prefer & why? Also, is Castle Harbour playable? <BR> <BR Julie