Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Barbados: Couples Barbados vs Colony Club Holetown - which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we choose to visit Barbados which of these is preferred or most likely to suit a couple of couples looking to do some activities around town as well as enjoy the resort? I hear Holetown is nice but that The Gap is where to be. We're in our mid 50's but would like good dining, some shopping and a flavorful music scene if possible. Also which resort is easiest on activities? We don't mind an occasional 'slow day' but we want at least some swimming pool fun or drinking games, darts, pool or something to keep us in an island'y mood.....TIA for the help....
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 10:40 PM

The Gap is where to be if you are a young family or in your 20/30s. The beach by Couples is wide and long but could be a little rough for swimming. Great for water activities though. Colony Club is in a much better location for swimming and is on the west coast, which is the place to be. Music scenes, shopping and dining options are all over the island, not just concentrated around the Gap. In fact there are several restaurants and upscale shops around Holetown.
I would definitely choose Colony Club over Couples but Americans are only familiar with Couples so tend to go for brand names they know. Have you read the hotel descriptions to see what activities they offer?
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 06:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We had dinner one night at The Colony Club but did not stay there. We were very impressed with the swim-up rooms along the pool and always said that we would return one day just to stay in one.

The West Coast beach is the place for us. We've stayed on the South Coast and found the water way too rough.

The Colony Club Hotel and grounds are beautiful but seem somewhat quiet. I'm not sure but I don't think there will be drinking games or darts. There will be plenty of water sports on that gorgeous beach though.

We stayed at Tamarind Cove which is a "sister" property in the Elegant Hotel group and we could go to the others in our dine around program. Tamarind had live music every night. The night we ate at Colony Club there was no music but maybe that was an off night. The food was excellent.

IMO, Colony Club is more upscale than Couples. I've never been to a Couples but from their ads I would think you will find more lively action there.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 06:49 AM
KVR

It depends on what you are looking for. The Colony Club is a family NON all inclusive hotel. From their website breakfast is included. Couples is an adults only all inclusive resort. Couples has more restaurants and bars on their property than Colony Club. The Couples properties in Jamaica get very high recommendations.

As an American, I DO NOT go with brands names that I know. I go with what the hotel has to offer, location and price. I have been researching Barbados for awhile and will eventually get there, since I prefer adults only AI resorts, I would go with Couples.

Also, Couples is one of only resorts that offers included complimentary off site excursions and activities. You will get more for your money at Couples. Another reason I would go with Couples. Here's a list of their activity schedule:

http://couples.com/barbados/couples-...activities.pdf

Here is a list of their inclusions:

http://couples.com/barbados/inclusions.php
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thx for all the info everyone!
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 06:54 PM
KVR

Since Couples just sold out to Sandals, then I would say forget it. I have never been a fan of the Sandals properties.