Reload this Page >

May Honeymoon---Need Opinions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 09:04 AM
Josh M.

As some of you may remember, I've been researching the perfect location for my honeymoon in May for quite some time now. I really want to finish this up this month, and I've narrowed it down considerably. I have found that I really like the sound of The Buccaneer on St. Croix, as well as the Calabash on Grenada, Bitter End on Tortola, and maybe the Cinnamon Reef or Sonesta on Anguilla, although I haven't found much info on these. <BR> <BR>So, how is St. Croix as an island??? I don't want to be in a place full of high-rises and commercialization, but more classy and fairly quiet, with great natural beauty. <BR> <BR>Bitter End is just about out of my price range, but I might be willing to splurge a little extra if I feel it's worth it. <BR> <BR>Grenada sounds like a neat island, and The Calabash looks pretty nice, although I wish it were closer to the beach. I also have yet to find flights that have reasonable times and prices to Grenada. <BR> <BR>Anguilla also sounds pretty nice, but sounds like it's a pretty barren island with only beaches to see. Am I wrong? The Sonesta sounds alright, although I'm not sure if it's too hotel-y for me. I was kind of looking for something more Caribbean, or villa-like. And Cinnamon Reef also sounds nice, but there is very little info or reviews on it. <BR> <BR>Any opinions or suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated. I feel like I've really searched out every island online, but only personal experiences truly tell the tale. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help, <BR>Josh M. <BR>[email protected]

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Eva

Josh, <BR> <BR>I have been to the BVI, St. Croix and Grenada (but not Anguilla). Of those 3, Grenada offers the most in terms of natural beauty. Lush vegetation, mountains, waterfalls, beaches (both white and black sand), and a picturesque harbour at St. Georges. I have not stayed at the Calabash, but do know it's located on L'anse Aux Epines, a decent beach (though with a grassy bottom, so not great for splashing around). You may wish to consider some of the resorts which are located right on Grand Anse beach if proximity to the beach is important to you. <BR> <BR>However, paradise does have its price. Of the three, Grenada is the hardest to get to -- limited and expensive flights. If you are flying from Dulles or JFK, you might consider flying BWIA. Air Jamaica also offers flights, but they require many changes of plane. The only other option is American, through its hub in San Juan. However, the only AA flight from SJU to GND gets you into GND at 9pm!!! <BR> <BR>Although it may seem like a lot of trouble, its definitely worth the trouble to get to Grenada (I am going for the third time in a few weeks). If you aren't so sure, then go for it in the BVI (also lovely, but not as lush as Grenada), and if the Bitter End stretches your budget, there are other good options that will provide you with a memorable honeymoon. (All 3 of my trips to the BVI have been sailing charters, so I can't really speak to land accomodations; however, if you visit www.traveltalkonline.com, you are likely to get some good suggestions.)

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 11:46 AM
Josh M.

Eva, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that Grenada is worth it, but I just couldn't believe the times and prices to get there. Coming home (to Philadelphia), the only flight out is at 6:05 am! I don't think so. <BR> <BR>So, this may have limited that choice. I'm really disappointed, as I've heard so many great things about Grenada. <BR> <BR>I haven't had much luck at all finding anything in the BVI's that I liked, or could afford. Bitter End was the closest to my price range and desires, but still not as ideal as I had hoped. I may think some more about getting a villa, but most of them aren't on the beach. <BR> <BR>I'm still hoping to hear some reports on Anguilla, specifically the Sonesta and Cinnamon Reef, so that may help me out as well. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Josh M. <BR>[email protected]

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 12:17 PM
Eva

Josh, <BR> <BR>Check those Grenada flights again. A few days ago, I got an itinerary change from American Airlines. My return (to BWI) changes from a 7:00 a.m. departure (UGH!) to a 9:00 a.m. departure. It's worth a try . . . <BR> <BR>Eva

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 06:14 AM
Matt

Josh, <BR>If you're looking for small, quiet, excellent service, nice beach. Try Jamaica Inn, Ocho Rios. They have two cottages you need to get info on. The blue cottage or White cottage. In staying in either of these cottages you'll receive service better than anyone else in the hotel. And that's saying a lot. The food there is excellent too. A great place

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Brad in Miami

Bitter End in Tortola is a great hotel. The BVI's are just lovely. However, as you have discovered, air service to the islands you are considering is very expensive. For cheaper airfare and a great hotel, check out Coyaba in Montego Bay. It is a first-class hotel in a small, laid back environment and might be just what you're looking for. Its beachfront and very typical Caribbean. Plus, you'll save as much as $1000 on airfare alone. Sonesta in Anguilla is also nice (I've been there) but it is a large resort and certainly not Caribbean in style.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Louis

It would appear that you want a lovely outlook within a modest budget in a friendly safe area. I think you might both enjoy a package at Frenchmans Cay on Tortola including auto. This give you a very large variety of things to do without breaking the bank. http://www.frenchmans.com I would chose it over the Bitter End Yacht Club unless you intended to use it a base for sailing. If you are in that area Biras Creek is the best choice but it is not inexpensive. Also I don't realy like the leeward side of the island around Bitter End as there is not enough breeze.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Josh M.

Thank you all for your responses. I'll check each of them out a bit further, but I have yet to see much info on ST. CROIX! Anyone? Anyone? <BR> <BR>It's exciting to hear about the flights to Grenada! I'll look into it again! <BR> <BR>I had considered Frenchmans a while back and had read some pretty negative reviews (www.where2stay.com), and some of it just seemed a little ordinary. Aside from the view, reports on the bed and bathrooms weren't so hot, and this is, afterall, my honeymoon. <BR> <BR>Josh <BR>[email protected] <BR>---------------------------- <BR>&lt;http://www.FlickerTube.Com&gt; <BR>Your Internet Video Station! <BR>Movies, Shows, Cartoons, Webcams, Music <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 11:17 AM
jbrooks

One the BVi's have you thought about splitting your stay on more than one island? On Tortola, you could stay somewhere on the less expensive side (Ole works inn on Cane Garden bay, one of the nicest beaches in the caribbean, has a romantic honeymoon tower for about $135 per night) Then, you could go over to stay on Virgin Gorda at Little Dix, or Peter Island, or Biras Creek which may be out of your budget for a week but for 3 or 4 nights could work? Just a thought! This is what I like to do as the islands are so close its easy to get to.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 08:32 PM
gail

Josh, can I make a recommendation try this website www.runawayhill.com It's our favorite place in the Carribean and I have been to lots of islands, but always come back to this small island in the Bahamas. <BR> <BR>Runaway Hill has 10 guest rooms, pool, RIGHT on the most perfect beach. Not much commercialization of the island but some really nice people who go back year after year, (like us) because the island, people and this resort is as close to perfect as you can get. Oh and I forgot great food too. <BR> <BR>When you look at the pictures, you will see the porch overlooking the pool and beach and there is where breakfast and dinner are served. <BR> <BR>Just my two cents but worth a look see. <BR>If you have any questions, please let me know. <BR> <BR>gail

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Diondra

Hi Josh, Of the islands you've mentioned, I can comment on the BVIs...I've stayed at the Bitter End a couple of times. <BR>I, personally, love the resort. Do you like to sail/boat? If so, its heaven. Your rate includes use of the resort fleet. <BR>My last trip (September) was during the doldrums...not enough wind many days to sail <BR>The resort is lovely, I prefer the secluded hill side rooms. <BR>Beach is very, very small. <BR>I'd suggest you consider staying on Tortola...I think the prices are more reasonable than Virgin Gorda, in general. I've heard good things about the Long Bay Beach Resort. Also, check out the Sugar Mill. <BR>The BVIs are some of my favorites! Friendly, safe. Do take a charter sail to the Baths and visit the Bomba Shack often. If you are at the Bitter End, ask someone to boat you over to the bar on the rock in the middle of the harbor. Best rum punch and BBQ! Cheers!!