Search

OUR LUCAYA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Christine

OUR LUCAYA

Has anyone stayed here recently? I am going in April and am curious how it is since the renovations.<BR>Thank you

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Danny

Christine,<BR> Go to http://www.fortunecity.com/oasis/bahia/443/index.htm. I've got an extensive trip report there on our 8 days at Our Lucaya and on GBI from 16-23 February. If you go to the links you'll also find 63 pictures from the trip and another 45-50 pictures of the island and Our Lucaya from other trips over the past year or so. It's my own amateur website and I hope it helps.<BR><BR>Danny

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Carrie

Hi Christine,<BR><BR>I got the email you sent me and will reply to you tomorrow. Danny's site is great so check his report too.<BR><BR>best regards<BR><BR>Carrie<BR>[email protected]

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:36 PM
michelle

I was there last month. Which hotel are you staying in? That makes a difference in the type of room you get. We had to complain about our old, ragged room and they upgraded us to one more suitable. The bathrooms are older but the bedroom area seems new and clean. It's all clean enough. There isn't room service or anything like that (at least in the hotel we were in). Our Lucaya is broken into three hotels under the same name but they share facilities etc...The beach is nice, as is the water, minus the shark attack last august. Be cautious I guess. The food OUTSIDE the hotel across the street in the marketplace is awful. We didn't have a good meal out. But there is a nice restaurant on the premises that is expensive but good. People at the hotel are nice enough and the pool areas and grounds are nice as are the bars etc...Definitely do the snorkeling trip at Paradise Cove. WELL worth it. Hope this is mildly helpful.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
cindy

Michele-<BR>Can you share with us which facility you were originally in and then where you changed too? Also, you mentioned both good/bad restaurants.... can you tell us the names?? Thanks!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:58 AM
michelle

Cindy,<BR>We were in the Reef Village (at $200 plus tax a night)and the "wing" on the lower floors in that hotel, at least to the right of the coffee stand, aren't remodeled yet. So they moved us within the Reef to upper floors where it was better. It was kind of a fight to get them to move us. They told us basically that the first room was the room we had the rate for....whatever, it was unacceptable. If it helps at all, our hotel was the worst (but like I said, not that bad once moved). The others are seemingling brand new. The good restaurants in the Marketplace are the Italian one around the corner from the English Pub (which is very mediocre--but I'm admittedly picky). You can't miss it if you walk by the marina. Ate there twice. Also, Pisces is the only other better one we had time to try among the failed ones...it's good for the island. There is another one by the scuba shop that is supposed to be good (ferrymans?). The lady who runs the nice clothing shop (I think it's L'Amour) in the marketplace told me. Sorry, bad memory. It's a French name. Avoid one of the Greek restaurants at all costs. In a word, it was FOUL. The one that has another restaurant at the International Bazzar, is the much better one. But still...The one called Samos or something, is the bad one. I'm sorry, I hope this helps. Again, the beach is very nice and the facilites are nice. In all, it's a decent getaway in my opinion. Would I go back? Doubtful. But it's fine if you spend a bit of money. Let me know if you have other questions. [email protected]

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Danny

Tried to email you but your alias is unknown to AOL. Reference Michelle's remarks. I don't agree with her. In my opinion the food is NOT the bad experience she seems to think it is. There are several restaurants in the Marketplace that are very good, and the two Greek restaurants she discusses actually have quite good reputations (Callie's and Zorba's). Other restaurants in the Marketplace that I think are good are Fat Man's Nephew, The Pub, Pisces, and probably the best one on the entire island, Luciano's (open only for dinner, reservations probably required). The other restaurant she talks about is the Ferry House, which is actually the restaurant at the Pelican Bay Resort. The food there IS excellent, but service was not that good and we were still hungry when we walked out, the portions were so small. I stopped recommending it to people for that reason. Food runs anywhere from 15-30% higher than you would pay in a U.S. restaurant because they have to import almost everything. The Our Lucaya restaurants ARE expensive, but good for the most part. The buffets at Willy Broadleaf's, in Breaker's Cay, are excellent (a little over $30 for two, including the tip, which is the case in most restaurants on the island and really ticks some people off). They also serve a buffet dinner with different international flavors of food most nights. Both Churchill's Chop Shop and Portabella's are excellent, but expensive. People we know swear the worst in the resort, for both rude staff and bad food, is China Beach. All oriental food. They have another nice restaurant that serves almost exclusively Caribbean food, Iries, but we have not tried it so don't know what it's like. Other restaurants I highly recommend to people outside the resort include the Stoned Crab (seafood, and right on the beach). Perfect spot for a quiet dinner. Pier One, where they feed the sharks every night and with a great atmosphere. The problem there is it will probably cost you over $40 just to get there in a cab. Ruby Swiss, over next to the Bahamia (soon to be Royal Oasis) near the Tower Hotel (to be Crown Plaza). Hope this doesn't just confuse you, but we have been going to GBI for 17 years and think we have a decent idea of what food is like in which restaurants. Just my opinion though.<BR> <BR>Danny