Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Marion is going to Jamaica on Sunday - Do we have any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marion,

I hope you have a wonderful vacation while we in New England freeze

Wear good suntan cream.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Have your driver btw. North and South Coasts stop in Haddo, just before Whithorn on the B8 inland route/cross-island road, at the Coconut Water/Jelly man. And then again, in Scott's Cove to check out the fish and bammy. Watch for people holding up bags of fresh fruit at roadside, or a bag tied to the end of a long stick at roadside, how country Jamaica advertises its wares.
Happy trampoosing. Walkgood. Travel better.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 03:57 AM

HAVE FUN !
Sandy
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 04:13 AM
owa

Marion I know you will have a great time. Too bad we missed each other, but I will be thinking of you on the 26th when you are only a few hours from us. An early "Merry Christmas". Owa

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Have a fabulous trip, Marion!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Have an Irie time!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Marion--safe travels!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 05:46 AM

We will miss you, have a wonderful vacation!!!
Brenda
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Eat lots of jerk chicken & enjoy!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Marion: Hmmmh... advice...do not sit in the sun for more than an hour at a time even if you are wearing sunblock. Do eat plenty of food. You need to keep your strength up to turn yourself over on the towel. If you see something in the water you do not know the Latin name of, don't touch it. Do not rush around. You have a whole month to get to it. Do not mix. If it's Red Stripe, stick to that for the whole day. If it's rum, then stick to that for the whole day. And remember, life is too short for cheap wine. Have a wonderful time!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Have fun Marion , relax , treat yourself well !! Think of me as I sit here in cold Montreal ALLREADY under a foot of SNOW !!!! lol . Safe Travels , Faith .
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Have a wonderful month in Jamaica mon!

Christie
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Alya,

Thanks for posting such a thoughtful message !

And to all my Fodor's friends who have posted I thank you too ! Since I am currently in *anxiety mode*, your kind messages have helped me to feel empowered ;-)

I remember HowardC and Penny offering words of encouragement on my first solo trip to Anguilla !

My *anxiety* has little to do with the flights. I have my own personal remedy, once onboard...those cute little bottles, ya' know.

I just hate the airport experience. Schlepping the bags and the security checks. Those *random* checks usually include me.

And I will forever despise the infamous "shoe bomber" ! You actually want me to unbuckle all these cute little buckles on these cute little sandals ?? And the *inner* voice that says...don't make a scene or you'll be in a detention cell rather than in Jamaica ! So think good, peaceful thoughts for me while I'm in Boston and Charlotte.

My flight is so early on Sunday, that I'll travel to Boston tomorrow. I wonder how those cute little sandals will feel in the Boston snow and ice ;-) ?

I wish you all a safe and happy holiday season !

Thanks again for your thoughtful messages

Marion

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Have a great trip...and please take lots of photographs for us
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Have a fabulous trip Marion! I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Have a GREAT trip!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Marion, I hope it's not too late for you to read this before you leave. I know you'll have a wonderful time. Am I correct in thinking this will be your first holiday season down there, solo? Even if you get homesick for your girls I know that the warmth of the Jamaicans will quickly push back all thoughts of home. Will you be the entire month in one villa/location?

Please bring lots of warm memories and photographs. And be sure to take notes as you go along so you can favor us with a trip report upon your return.

I"ll miss your posts, which are feisty and insightful by turn, and sometimes both in equal proportion!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Thanks EJ,

Yes, it will be my first holiday season without my adult daughters and without my dad.

I'll be at one of Tiverton's properties (Coquina) from 12/14 through 12/28. I'm looking forward to being in a community based location at Christmas

I look forward to spending this holiday in a compleyely different way. I expect that most Christmas carols are universal, but also look forward to learning and sharing some that may be unique. And I'm sure I'll find some *little ones" who'd like to listen to a dramatic reading of "The Night Before Christmas" That, and the "Grinch" are my favorites....no surprise to anyone about my love of the "Grinch" !

Your Christmas wish for me should be that I'm able to go to Pelican Bar Sasha has made so many wonderful suggestions, and I need to be brave !

I hope your holiday season will be filled with love and joy !

Marion

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM

oh a full month. my dream come true. i know you will have a wonderful experience to come home and share with the fodorites. nice that maine/mass had some snow to make your leaving seem all the more timely. merry christmas. don't forget we women are invincible!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Marion,
Sounds like you will bring some happiness to some children while in Jamaica!

I want to go to the Pelican Bar if I ever make it to Jamaica..please let me know what it is like.

I would love to spend Christmas somewhere different one year..probably when the kids are older.Sounds like you will have a great time.

Christie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -