Luxury Resort in the Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a couple in our late 40s-early 50s. We are looking for a true luxury resort in the Caribbean. It should be 3-4 hours away from New York, with the direct non-stop flight.
We are beach people, not pool, so looking for a long stretch of sand, we are into swimming in calm waters and long walks on the beach. We appreciate great athmosphere, good food, service, elegant accomodations, etc...Open to all-inclusive but not necessarily. Though if it's not all inclusive would like it to have restaurants on premises or nearby so we don't have to rent and drive a car. Also, would like a resort to be not far from the airport. Appreciate your help and suggestions.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 04:44 PM

all inclusive and great food don't really go together.
jet blue and american both have nonstop to barbados in 5 hours. sandy lane is gorgeous, or the fairmont royal pavillion.
american flies to st. thomas in 4 hrs. the ritz is nice.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM

What kind of budget? In the past, someone will ask for true luxury, until they realize the prices in the Caribbean.

Don't know what time of year you're looking at, but Turks and Caicos would fit the bill. Perfect beach, excellent restaurants, terrific resorts, but again, with a nightly budget helps make recommendations.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Virginia for your suggestions, i will look into those.
Blamona, this is for end of Jan-Feb. I am am trying to find the 'right' places first and then will try to find a deal for it. I don't mind paying but for something that is real value. There are so many posts here, on tripadvisor, other forums where people say it was nice but not worth what they paid. So looking for something that is really worth your money. And hopefully i will be able to find some deals for such places for Jan-Feb. I did search for luxury resorts on this forum and some Fodorites mentioned Secrets. Is it something I should consider? I've never been to Turks. What are the recommendation for Turks? I know there is non-stop flight to Providenciales from NYC.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM

or...fly to St. Maarten - take the ferry or hotel transportation and head to Anguilla.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM

On Turks & Caicos check out The Somerset www.thesomerset.com
it has all that you are looking for and more, great dining, can walk to other restaurants, excellent staff and beautiful suites.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:04 AM

www.caneelbay.com

www.nisbetplantation.com

www.couples.com Swept Away Negril for AI

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:20 AM

I would second qwovadis' suggestion of Nisbet Plantation. The only caveat is that you will fly from JFK to St. Kitts (SKB), and then will do a taxi/ferry shuttle arranged by Nisbet over to Nevis (very efficient, but I want to give you full disclosure).

Nisbet is "all-inclusive" in the sense that the room rate includes breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner (but not alcohol). But all meals are a la carte and excellent.

Nisbet is not "luxury" in the Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons sense (but if you need that, there is a Four Seasons on Nevis, though it's beach is not nearly as nice as the one on which Nisbet is located). But the rooms are very comfortable, spacious and well-appointed -- true Caribbean style with louvered windows, tropical motifs and beautiful view. Above all, the service is warm, genuine and personal without being obsequious or fawning.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:21 AM

Forget to give you the link to my webpage, which has two trip reports and photos from recent visits to Nisbet. http://islandtime.homestead.com/
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:29 AM

It's always best to give us your budget. The reason so many people make comments that a resort 'wasn't worth it" is simply because they don't realize the price structure throughout the Caribbean and what "luxury prices" actually provide. Also, if you really want luxury and good food avoid the so-called "All Inclusives" - they are never "worth it". Lastly, many really "luxury" resorts are fairly secluded so walking to shops and off-premisis restaurants is something you may have compromise and getting there may entail more travel than you indicated you want to make.

There are many upscale resorts in the Caribbean and some offer meal plans. Check out the following resorts that are located on islands you can probably reach non-stop from NYC:

Sandy Lane - Barbados
Casa De Campo - Dominican Republic
Amanyara or Parrot Cay - Providenciales (Turks & Caicos)
Ritz Carlton - St. Thomas
La Samana - St. Martin
Anse Chastinet or Ledera - St. Lucia
Jumby Bay or Carlisle Bay - Antigua

Resorts that require either a ferry ride or connecting flight when flying from NYC:

Caneel Bay - St. John (must take ferry from St. Thomas)
Peter Island, BVI's
Little Dix Bay, Virgin Gorda (BVI's)
Cap Juluca or Cusinart - Anguilla (no non-stop flights from NYC)
Four Seasons, Nevis
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 10:05 AM

I'll add the Ritz Carlton on Grand Cayman to RoamsAround's list. Seven Mile Beach is a very long stretch of gorgeous beach and there are nice restaurants all up and down the beach. I don't know if you can get a direct flight from New York but my guess is yes.

I'll also add that while we loved our stay at Caneel Bay on St. John, I wouldn't consider it luxurious. It's certainly nice but luxurious, no. The fabulous beaches make up for it, however, although the food was nothing to write home about.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Roamsaround, Sharona and everybody else, now I have a list to work from.I looked up several places from common suggested list and I think I like Parrot Cay the most. Though wouldn't rule out any others yet. I am wondering if places of this caliber have promotions/deals from time to time. I am open to travel any time at the end of Jan or February and I don't want to travel during school holidays/breaks.
Any suggestions on finding those deals? hotel directly? Do travel agents nowdays have deals the same as on the internet or online deals are always better? I have a travel agent who I work with for years, wondering if I should contact her or search on my own.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

I was talking to my travel agent. Somerset on Grace Bay is having a promotion now. Any thoughts on the place?
The rate includes breakfast. Are there restaurants around in the area or we would have to use Somerset's restaurant only?
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM

We have stayed at the Somerset many times-LOVE IT....
2 great onsite restaurants and you can walk to MANY from the Somerset. Great staff, beautiful suites, excellent beachfront, wonderful pools, clean and still newish! They will stock your unit for a small charge as well.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM

I strongly recommend Boasse Luxury Resort in curacao. I loved it.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Jumby Bay---a private island, non stop flights on Delta,
or Continental to Antigua, a five minute ride to the ferry dock, and an 8 minute crossing on their private ferry service. The rooms are wonderful-the resort was closed for one year. No cars, walking paths, bikes----and calm calm Jumby Beach. The food and drinks are excellent. It is the only all inclusive I would consider--very upmarket. Its pricey-but it might be exactly what you are looking for.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Jumby Bay looks great on the pics. Will look more into that, but for now I think I am leaning towards Somerset on T&C. Are Garden View rooms there ok? I read in some reviews that Garden View Rooms are small and have an odd locations. Does it make sense to go for one-bedroom oceanview? the price difference is huge. Is it worth it?
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 06:45 AM

Somerset garden view rooms- they are the 2nd or 3rd bedroom of a larger condo, still better than a basic hotel room but no outdoor space. We always rent the 1 bedroom English Cottage-a full condo, 2 baths, wonderful Viking kitchen, 3 tv's, loft space etc. The oceanview suites are very expensive but, the garden view cottages are excellent imo. Wonderful property no matter which room you stay in !!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Somerset is terrific, and so worth doing a 1 bedroom oceanview.

Gorgeous architecture, many restaurants to walk to in the area. Next door to Regent Palms with terrific spa and the now excellent Parallel23 and Plunge Restaurant, next to that the popular Mango Reef on a deck on the beach with live music on Tuesday nights. The other side has the excellent Bay Bistro. Close by is Vix, Vino Tempo, Yoshi and Thai. Somerset itself has O'Soleil, with live music on the patio on Friday nights.

The beach was made for you-miles in both directions, I walked it myself every day until Wed. AHHHH I miss it already!
8-)
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I would like to thank all of you who contributed and helped me to get oriented. In the end we booked Regent Palms, they had a better deal for basic room than Somerset, 3rd night free and the room has a terrace. We are planning to walk around and see Somerset and definitely have dinner there and also explore other properties nearby.
I understand that driving is on the left side on T&C. If we don't rent a car is it expensive to get a taxi and go to the restaurants. I know in Aruba for example, most of the restaurants are about $10 ride from the high rises. Is T&C similar in that respect? What are the restaurants that we should visit that require a car and are reasonable by taxi? And how much is a taxi from the airpost to Regent Palms?