Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking for companies that book individual cabins on sailing charters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across a trip report where I got the idea that you could book a cabin on a sailboat, instead of an entire charter. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I was thinking of trying to do it in St Vincent and the Grenadines, Tobago Cays, etc.

I thought I could hopefully do 1 week sailing and 1 week resort (Cotton House, Petite St Vincent, or Young Island).

The company that was used in the trip report I read was http://www.islandtimeholidays.com/. The poster indicated that they wouldn't necessarily recommend them tho.

A fallback option is Windjammer Cruises, but it would be nice to find something more intimate.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:26 AM

I've done this sort of trip with the Moorings, both in the British Virgin Islands (where we and our friends turned out to be the only guests), as well as a one-way from St. Lucia through the Grenadines to Grenada (these days, a Grenadines trip with the Moorings would start in Canouan). A check on the Moorings' website (www.moorings.com) shows that they are still offering this "Sailaway Stateroom" package. You can read about my trips on my webpage at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I'll follow up on that. I went to your site -- what a great list of travel logs! Looking forward to reading some.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

also look into Tradewinds Travel, a division of RCI, that does shared charters on catamarans, based in Bequia.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Keep in mind when booking a stateroom only on a sailboat that you'll be sharing very close quarters with just a few strangers. Personality conflicts can become really apparent very quickly. It's not like a resort or a larger vessel where there are plenty of other guests and room to spread out. We had one couple who just didn't get along well with anyone else and it made things less enjoyable overall for everyone. I'm not trying to scare you and my experience was probably atypical. I'm sure most of the time everything works out fine, but just keep in mind if you've never done this before that you can't pick your shipmates.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

curiousx - Did see some reviews/info on Tradewinds but figured you had to own a timeshare to trade for it. Is that incorrect? Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM

No you don't need a timeshare although if you don't have one, you will get a sales spiel sometime during your cruise. It's not terribly hard sell though. A guy called Magnus is the Bequia contact and can explain to you how it works - here are some contact numbers and e's Telephone: (784) 457 3407, (784) 457 3524
Fax: (784) 457 3524
[email protected]

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:59 AM

The Moorings on their new catamaran has reasonable space but it is like being in a college dorm except everything is new, shinny and in first-rate condition.

We chartered a 40.2 ft. Pierson for 6 nights with a captain and cook but it cost about $8,000 in late April 4 years ago. The weather was perfect and it was simply lovely. But it is $1200++ a day but the ship was ours. The captain and cook are out of sight unless you want it other-wise.