Search

Looking for Airport Information....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Airport Information....

Hi Everybody,

I was hoping someone can answer my questions regarding American Airlines 7:10 AM flight from Philly to Miami.

We are flying from Philly to Miami where we catch another flight on American to Curacao and there is only about 45 minutes between flights. Do both flights typically run on time or should I be concerned? And do you think transferring our luggage could be a problem?

I also posted this on the airports board, but I know this board gets more reading/responses than airports so I hope you don't mind the double post.

Thanks in advance for your responses!!!

Nancy

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 02:08 PM

As you are flying American Airlines both times your luggage should be checked right through to final destination. I have no experience of Miami airport but I would be very concerned about the 45 minutes. We once had an hours connection time and of course our first flight was late( and it doesn't have to be a long delay for there to be a problem). We made the connection only because the second flight was delayed, but my heart rate could not have been healthy!
Do you have a later flight you can catch? You may want to go ahead and hope for the best but it would be wise also to plan also what can be done if the worst happens.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fiona. Anybody else traveled this route?

Thanks,

Nancy
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:00 AM

If the connection is a "legal" connection, that is, the airlines let you book it...then you should stick with your plans. It is always a good idea to know when the next flight is in case you have a problem. Since you are departing PHL at 7:10 AM, there will hopefully be no backups at that time of time( who knows what the weather will be)On this kind of trip, I would be sure to carry at least 24 hours worth of clothes with me, just in case.
While no one can guarantee your luggage, it should be OK with a legal connection. At the worst case, it will be sent to you on the next plane. Stick with your reservations!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Emily C
good definition of "legal". We booked our holiday with a tour operator. The airline told us that THEY would not have given such a short connection time.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:32 PM

I may be way off base, but I thought a "legal international connection" was 90 minutes.....no ?
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Sunnyboy

I'm surprised the airline let you book an international connection with only a 45 minute layover as the minimum connection on AA is usually 1 hour. Since you are connecting to the same airline you can make it if everything goes right but be prepared to be a little stressed. Here are a few hints.
Make sure you get your boarding passes for both flights when you check in at Philly. If you are checking luggage make sure it is "checked" through to Curacao. Better yet consider taking only carry-on (most people over pack any way). I've been going to the Caribbean 3 or 4 times a year for 18+ years and learned a long time ago if it doesn't fit in one standard size roll-on you don't really need it. Back to the hints - try to get seats toward the front of the plane, this will give you a few extra minutes. Wear comfortable shoes (sneakers are good), Miami is a big, busy airport and AA uses several different terminals (I don't quite rember if it is 3 or 4). You will probably arrive in one terminal and depart from another quite a distance away as most international filght depart from a different terminal than the domestic flights. There is a slim chance you won't have too far to go but don't count on it. Be prepared to "sprint" through the interconnecting walkways and do not go out into the main ticketing area otherwise you will have to waste valuable time clearing through security. It can get a little confusing since some of the entrances to the connecting walkways are near the exits to baggage claim and the main ticket areas so read the signs carefully and try to avoid going thru doors marked "EXIT". You will find a map of the airport in the back of the American Way Magazine (you'll find it in the seat pocket on the plane). Look at it carefully before you land. Also just prior to landing the Flight Attendant will probably announce the arrival gate and read off a list of connecting gates. That will help you plan your route. Keep in mind that even if your plane from Philly gets to the gate on time you may not have the full 45 minutes to make your connection. Flights usually "close" for boarding about 10 minutes prior to "push back". I've made connections in Miami with less time so I know it's do-able. Good luck!

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Nothing is a guarantee, but since you are departing at 7:10 am the flights do not have a chance to get "delayed" yet. The only thing would be weather delay. It is quite close though, there should be at least 90 min between flights. Your luggage is checked straight thru to Curacao, but the baggage handlers need time to unload sort and load the baggage on the flights. I would definately pack carry-on luggage with 24 hours worth of clothing (bathing suits, dinner clothes, casual clothes) like another poster said. When we fly non-stop, we check everything. What we also do is put the resort name, phone number and dates you are staying right on your luggage ID tags. This way they will know where to send your bags in case they get delayed, it will save them time.
You can never tell with airlines...on a return flight thru SJU, we swore our luggage would not make the flight as we barely did and there it was...the first bags out of the shute at JFK.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. My husband's and my mother are traveling with us for the first few days of the trip and I have arranged handicapped transportation to get them from terminal to terminal b/c of health issues. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks again for the input!

Nancy