Reload this Page >

Little Dix vs. Caneel vs. Cap Juluca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2000, 07:55 PM
Tracy

Which is better? We are planning our October honeymoon. (I know it's a hurricaine risk) We want an upscale, non-touristy resort with great snorkeling.

Old May 9th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Karen

Tracy, Cap is down and out for the count. Think the anticipated reopening is November but given "caribb time" and how that works, not sure that is a good "guess." Caneel is larger than Little Dix with Little Dix having a more "intimate" feel. The BVI's are more pristine but getting more and more crowded every year ... it's not a "secret" anymore so it might be good to go before it is changed forever! Caneel has seven beaches on property so you can switch every day, if you want and there is a shuttle that runs around the property and between the areas, Caneel Beach, Hawksnest, Turtle Bay etc. regualarly. If you want the best of the USVI and proximity to shopping and more "excitement" head to St. John or even better, do the "split" sampling both but making up your own mind where to go for the return trips! There are some lovely up-scale resorts other than Little Dix that you might want to look at too ... Biras Creek, Peter Island, Guana. Scubamom.com has the info you might find helpful!

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 09:00 AM
stacy

I am not sure when Cap Juluca is opening, but its simply incredible. By far the best choice. I went there on my honeymoon in '98 and haven't found a place yet that rivals it.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 11:21 AM
Anne

We just got back from staying on St. John for the 4th time. We stopped by Caneel for a drink and it was stunning. It's so non-commercial and has great landscaping. Low-key, classy place! You can't go wrong with Caneel!! I've been to Virgin Gorda but not to Little Dix... I hear they are comparable. Remember, St. John is 3/4 national park so there's lots of unspoiled nature. Check out Coral Bay for the off-beat. We love the BVI also (we stayed on Long Bay on Tortola; not as nice as Caneel) and find it more off beat.The beaches aren't as nice on Tortola--although we loved smugglers cove! If you go to the US or British Virgins, be sure to do some sailing. WOW.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 06:13 PM
CMB

It all depends what you want...Cap is down but Anguilla has lots of other great resorts--and is a very friendly island. Cuisinart is one to check for sure. Dix is good too...we sailed by there last year, while staying at Biras Creek. Biras is total seclusion and wonderful food....Anguilla has many resorts and great restaurants. Little Dix is on its own and also very nice. Hard to go wrong....

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 12:21 PM
mich

Just in BVI and USVI last month. Stayed at Little Dix for our honeymoon last year and loved it so much we went back! But had to check out other places for future reference. Not too impressed with Biras Creek (nice but the beach can't compare with Little Dix, and far away) No brainer there. Little Dix (and Savannah Bay just a little ways up) are two of the best beaches in the world. Virgin Gorda is remote and worthy of 3-7 days stay. St. John is spectacular, more tropical with mongoose, birds, donkeys, goats everywhere! But 5 times as many people, yet is good in the off seasons. Caneel Bay is now my favorite (yet I liked Little Dix beach more) so stay for 4 nights at Caneel, 3-4 at Little Dix. That's if you want the best of both worlds.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:27 PM
dameson

It is hard to judge what you and others call great snorkeling. By my standards, none of these propertiess have great snorkeling. Of the three, Caneel would be the best. The last time we were by Cap Juluca it was not quit finished. Looking at its location, I would not expect any interesting snorkeling as all I saw was sand. Forgetting other destinations, I suggest that you split your stay between Caneel and Little Dix. You will enjoy both based on other considerations. They are both different. Little Dix will take you to some snokeling locations that are outside their property. Also they will take you down to the Baths. Even though they are now overcrowed, they make a nice excursion. Caneel also had, when we were last there, some snorkeling trips. Just don't expect too much from in front of the resort properties. Little Dix might still have a 5.5 foot barracuda hanging around. It used to hang under a yacht that anchored in front of the property. There was also a 4 to 5 foot one that hung around the dock and swimming raft at Caneel Bay. These are fun to see if they are still there. It is not often that you see one this size. Do take protection to wear against fire coral, moon jelly fish and sun. Dancer's tights or panty hose and long sleeve tee shirts are enough.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:38 PM
Louis

I should have mentioned that we liked Little Dix the best of the two. The rooms on stilts among the trees are lovely and I think the most desirable. Make certain that you stay away from any children's area. There is some action at Cruz Bay on St. John. There is nothing of note near Little Dix. However, the Olde Yard Inn had a mighty good restaurant. For my money as good or better than Little Dix. That has been some time ago. It is the best alternative for dinner near Little Dix.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Sheila

I have just returned from the BVI. Very friendly islands! Little Dix is a beautiful resort and great beach. The rooms on stilts are oceanview cottages with hammocks! They are to die for. The beach here is a beautiful cresent of powdery white sand, however, they do not have a pool. I'm mostly a beach person but I also like to get in the fresh water of a pool for a change from all that salt water. I also went to Peter Island Resort - this place is fantastic!! The rates here include 3 meals daily and the staff will even pack a picnic lunch for couples who want to be dropped off at the honeymoon beach..very private and solitude. Snorkeling in BVI was good, but they are most known for wreck dives and sailing. Peter Island Resort would definately be my top choice of honeymoon resorts because of its many nooks and crannies for private getaways...plus the meals are delicious. Feel free to e-mail me with specific questions of either. I actually need to pick up my photos tomorrow.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 06:11 PM
Michele

Cap my be out because of the hurricane..if is opened, it is a bit ritzy but nice. Caneel is understated class-laid back ,great beaches and lots of land. I have never been to Little Dix,but alot have mentioned the split-they have that as a package, you may want to look into. ANother nice resort in Anguilla is Malliouhana. Good Luck!

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 08:01 PM
doc

Been to all 3....Cap Juluca is by far the best. It is opening in October and they have GREAT rates through December 17th...HURRY!

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Anne

Tracy-Where did you end up going? Was this forum of assistance? Would love to hear your opinion. We are planning our anniversary and are still undeceided. I love the experience on this forum. It really fills in the gaps that my research lacks in guide books. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 04:39 PM
Karen

Yup, Cap is reopening ... but sold out until December 17th ... limited availability due to not all units being ready. Price for "soft opening" dates was $350 a nite!!! One of the restaurants is converting to Pacific Rim, fusion-style food ... think it is Pimms. Only one restaurant open until Decmeber! I, too, find the three quarters of a mile bike ride between the beach and the rooms at Biras rather taxing on these old knees but the small beach is lovely and I found some of the best snorkling there ... especially the rays which are wonderful to watch and you don't have to worry about children there!! Actually Scott's Beach at Caneel provided good snorkling especially at the end toward Paradise Beach - but not great - might want to try Honeymoon Beach instead. You do have the advantage of the other beaches to snorkle on St. John as well - Waterlemon, Salt Pond, Haulover are just a "sample." My favorite rooms at PIR are defiantely the beachfront ones and the picnic lunches at White Bay are to die for!!! Haven't been since the Tradewinds (the dining room) was enclosed - not excited about that!!!! Wonder where Tracy went ... wish she'd let us know!!!