Little Dix or Cap Juluca

Search

Little Dix or Cap Juluca

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Dix or Cap Juluca

I know preferences can be more of a personal thing, but I was wondering if you could provide your opinions. I am trying to determine which will be most luxurious and remote. I am interested in solitude, great beaches, snorkeling and food/wine. Some resorts we have enjoyed in the past are: Jade Mountain, Eden Rock, Sandy Lane, Pink Sands, Elbow Beach and Maroma.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM

I really think with the places you've been that Cap Jaluca would be your pick. Both resorts offer solitude-but I think Anguilla has better beaches and certainly more food choices. I don't think you can go wrong with this pick.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM

I've been to both of those resorts multiple times and all I can say is they are each terrific places. One is not "better" than the other they are just different. The biggest difference comes from the topographical make-up of the islands themselves. Anguilla (where CJ is located) is flat, arid and scrubby with little natural vegetation. The island is coral/limestone based and boast 35 fantastic white sand beaches, over 80 restaurants (some among the best in the Caribbean) and is very quite and laid back. Virgin Gorda, on the other hand, is hilly, moderately lush and has many golden sand beaches that are more "cove-like" in size (ranging from less than a few hundred feet to 1/2 mile or so in length). For the most part they are lapped by gin-clear calm waters in varying shares of turquoise, light blues to dark blues. A great number of these beaches have fantastic snorkeling reefs just yards off-shore. In addition the island has a variety of restaurants. Like Anguilla it is remote and quiet.

A far as the resorts themselves CJ is on a 3/4 mile long stretch of a pure white sand beach lapped by bright blue turquoise water. The sea is usually calm but because can develop occasional swells. There's very little "off beach" snorkeling at the resort so you'll have to venture off-resort for your snorkeling fix. You should know, however, that the best snorkeling on Anguilla does not hold a candle to the snorkeling you'll find on Virgin Gorda.

LDB is on 1/2 mile stretch of golden sand nestled in a cove between two hills. The water there is very calm and there's a reef stretching the entire length of the beach. Because of the abundance of natural vegetation on the island the beach at LDB is much more picturesque than the beach at CJ. The water around the reef is quite shallow so it's not one of the best snorkeling spots on the island. The resort is in a very private area so you will find the remoteness you are seeking. The food at the resort is quite good and there are enough "off-resort" restaurants on the island to satisfy almost any pallet for a normal vacation stay.

Your only real solution to the dilemma you are faced with is to make a second trip to the Caribbean - stay at LDB on one visit and go to CJ on the next. You won't be disappointed at either place.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Lots of good advice--and it is a hard choice. I know some of the resorts you mentioned, and they are
a diverse group. I have been to Cap Juluca many times--adore the hotel and island. I have only been to LDB once--again a great spot.
IMHO I would select CJ, as it is such a stunning romantic hotel and
lots of great dining on easy to get around Anguilla. Snorkeling is the one interest that you cannot do off
the beach at CJ--not much sea life.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. Roams Around---you really laid this out for me. I think I am leaning toward LD.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM

I've been to Sandy Lane, LDB and Cap, and much preferred CJ to LDB. The beach at LDB is narrow, and because of the trees sunshine is limited. Chairs are close, and several times other guests woke me up to ask if I was using the float. At Cap, there are plenty of floats, and lots of space between you and your neighbor. I thought the service at CJ was much better than LDB, and food in AXA way better than VG, although the food at LDB was excellent. The people of AXA are also friendlier than the people on VG, most of whom were not form the BVI or USVI.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:19 AM

I think "RoamsAround" overstated the quality of snorkeling in and arouind LDB. But, Anguilla basically has NO snorkeling. At LDB the Baths an outing the resort offers is a good snorkel but you have a bit of a walk after the van gets you to the immediate area then an incline path down to the water. Once there it is well worth the walk down and back. It's not long just a little challenging if you are seniors. There are only a few other places where the coral is still alive so that the colors of the coral are varied, you find a large variety of fish, sea fans, sea anenomes and sea fans. But if you charter a power boat (we used a fellow named Mitchell) for about $680 for 6-7 hours and go to Cooper and Norman Island and Nail Oil Bay you will have a great snorkel day.Yes, it is expensive but you have to catch what is left of the living coral in the Caribbean before it all dies off which the scientists predict will occur in 5-7 yeears.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Stan - I think you may have misinterpreted my comments about snorkeling at LDB. I said "The water around the reef is quite shallow so it's not one of the best snorkeling spots on the island". I wonder how that could be considered an "overstatement". I thought it was clear my intent was to say the snorkeling at LDB is not very good.

I certainly agree with you that there are many other places on Virgin Gorda where snorkeling is much better (Savanah Bay, Mahoe Bay and Spring Bay to name a few) and that snorkeling is very much better at places like the Indians, Cooper Island and Norman Island. Also, like you, I was not impressed with the snorkeling around Anguilla.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM

RoamAround; We are on the same page. But, I would say Cooper and Norman and Indians are really the only 3 quality places that are close but not equal to St. John. If you have not gone to Anegada, don't. The coral is in very bad shape.