LIFE JACKET vs SNORKEL VEST

Jul 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

LIFE JACKET vs SNORKEL VEST

For non swimmers who want to snorkel in deeper (15 feet) water is a snorkel vest a good/safe option as opposed to a life jacket?

I remember reading that snorkeling with a life jacket is kind of ackward and a snorkel vest is better.

Would your reccomendation be different if it is an adult or a child?

Thanks
Jul 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Both will work for adults and children but the snorkel vest will be much better since it is designed to let you swim with your head in the water. The life vest is designed to keep your head out of water thus making it more difficult to snorkel.

My spouse is not a good swimmer and uses a snorkel vest all the time with great confidence. One more plus, the snorkel vests are inflateable making them very easy to pack as they don't take up much room. You can buy them in any reputable dive shop, most "big box" sportinggoods stores or on-line. They are not very expensive and if cared for properly will provide you years of trouble free service.

They are available in sizes that will fit almost anyone from a small child to and extra large football player.
Jul 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM

bokill, i've had my snorkel vest for several years and i love it. i wear it deflated most of the time because of the salt water natural bouyancy, but it is a great comfort to know i can be floating in it with just a couple smalls breaths of air.
as well it packs nicely. a life jacket would be altogether too combersome.
advise them for kids and adults alike.
Jul 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Here's another vote for the snorkel vest vs. life vest. Several members of our family use them all the time in both shallow and deep water. Buy one for all the non-swimers in your group, you'll be glad you did and you'll wonder why you didn't get them sooner.
Jul 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. That one decision made.
Jul 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Agree the snorkel vest is better choice. You can also deflate them while snorkeling if you get the urge to dive down under water for a closer look at things. With a life vest you would have to take if off which is a pain.