Reload this Page >

Least expensive Caribbean destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Low

What's the least expensive destination in the Caribbean?<BR>Will not consider Mexico.<BR>Trip for family of four who wants to snorkel, explore, and be active.<BR><BR>Total Budget = $4,500. Would like to stay 1 week, flying from East coast. Want to go next Spring. Any suggestions?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Susan

Aruba is really nice, but can be expensive too.<BR><BR>I think if you take a charter package such as travel charter you could get an all inclusive package which would include all of your meals, etc.<BR><BR>They have a couple resorts that are all inclusive called<BR><BR>Bushiri, Divi Divi & Tamaran (I'm spelling that one wrong).<BR><BR>Those are probably roughly $800-$1000 per person, and will include all of your food, drinks & sports. <BR><BR>Another place that may good is LaCabana. In there it has a kitchen so you can cook. I think it is about $800 per person.<BR><BR>There are alot of other condos. All are nice.<BR><BR>Let me know if you need any other help.<BR><BR>Susan

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Tammy

Yes, you can do Aruba for that price. Prices drop off after Easter and then low season begins. We got a great deal from an agency someone here talked about Travel Unlimited http://www.travelunlimited.com

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:15 AM
adele

It might be hard to stay in that budget for a family for a week unless you can use frequent flier miles for the airfare.<BR><BR>A couple of years ago we went with the family to Frenchman's Cay in Tortola and had a great time. They offer packages which include a villa (all of their accomodations are in 1 or 2 BR villas), jeep rental, breakfast daily and some combination of lunches/dinners. During low season the packages were about $2499 - 2999. Long Bay Resort on Tortola has similar packages but are a bit pricier.<BR><BR>The kids still rave about the vacation and ask when we can go back.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:20 AM
sandy

Aruba. not much exploring or great snorkling there but good beach and very inexpensive. Find a timeshare person who wants to rent and you will get such a deal (negotiate too). All kinds of bargains for week packages including air too. the price is one of the big atttactions of Aruba.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:34 AM
linda

Check out Vacationexpress.com and also sunshinetours.com for the Cayman package. They fly charter planes and have air/hotel packages that are very reasonable. We used VE and they were wonderful. My friend has used Sunshine 3 times for Cayman and loved it.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Mary

It seems to me that the cheapest caribbean destination, overall, is the Dominican Republic.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Joelle

French Carribean islands (Guadeloupe and Martinique) are quite cheap compared with the other islands. But you have to be prepared to struggle a bit in French!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Penney

I agree with the Dominican Republic.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Parrot Mom

Dominican Republic by a mile..more for your $$ compared to the rest of the Caribbean and Mexico..Tourism in Punta Cana and La Romana is booming and rightfully so.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Nancy

Agree with Dominican Republic - maybe also Puerto Rico.<BR>Many direct flights to San Juan.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:57 AM
tobago

I'm biased....<BR>I'm just a tourist but I love Tobago so much I set up this site all about it....get up to 10% off accommodation thru us...<BR>check out www.simplytobago.com<BR>Over 100 images of the island<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Anon.

You're just a tourist? My ass!!!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Jackie

A friend spoke of a family vacation on St. John's Island at Cinnamon Bay. You can do a web search for more info. Sounded beautiful.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Low

Thank you for all of the suggestions!<BR><BR>I am definitely looking into Aruba, had not even considered this island. (I had thought since the Bahamas were the closest to Florida these islands would be the least expensive).<BR><BR>When looking at a map of Aruba's beaches, how does one decide East or West end? Is there a beach that has "less wind"? Have never been there, and I don't know anyone who has travelled to Aruba.<BR><BR>Would Baby Beach be a good choice to find lodging near? <BR><BR>Any additional info would be great! <BR>Thank you, Low budget

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Sue

The hotels are either in the low-rise area of Eagle/Druif Beach or in the high-rise area of Palm Beach. Baby Beach is just for fun! The wind has never been an issue. Trust me you'll be thankful as it will keep you much more comfortable!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:02 AM
Shirley

The least expensive way to travel to the Caribbean from the east coast is on a charter. Check out applevacations.com and GWVTravel.com. Sometimes you can get something around $499, $599 OR $699 pp for seven nights including air and all meals and drinks (AI). We have been on several of these charters. Punta Cana, DR is usually very inexpensive. We stayed at the Allergo for $699 pp AI last February.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:36 AM
freewoman

Baby Beach is a wonderful beach to go and spend the day, but there is no lodging there. In fact, it used to be a private beach for the subdivision which you have to go through to get there. When the refinery was owned by Exxon the people who worked for Exxon lived in the subdivision and Baby Beach was a private beach.<BR><BR>I believe the only lodging you will find on the beach will be west of Oranjasted (sp).<BR><BR>You might also want to check out Club Viva Fortuna on Grand Bahama. We are going there in June and I got all inclusive for a week for less than $1,000 per person.<BR><BR>But I have read many mixed reviews of the place. Some say it is wonderful and they go every year and some say "stay away." So we've decided to see for ourselves. If it is decent, it will be a great, cheap place to hop over for an inexpensive vacation.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:48 AM
anon

I personally thought Aruba was mucho expensive. If you want a cheap destination it's going to be Mexico. Cozumel has so much to see and explore and the snorkeling is excellent.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Danno

How about the platform tents at St. John. Maho Bay or something like that. Wonderful island and great beaches all around. The air fare will kill you unless you have frequent flier miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -