Reload this Page >

The TRUTH about Jamaica!

Search

The TRUTH about Jamaica!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:51 AM
14VK8SHN

The TRUTH about Jamaica!

Ok, I have been to Jamaica several times, I read Jamacia Gleaner every day, here is my humble assessment of Jamaica - It is a beautiful island that is MOSTLY unexplored by the typical tourist. The vast majority of tourists are confined to their cozy man-made, high-priced, greedy resorts. They are pampered by underpaid loyal Jamaicans who try and do their best to satisfy both the tourists and ultimately the American owned corporate jerks they work for. The only time they get away from their confines is to ride a resort bus over to Dunns River Falls or Rick's Cafe or Margaritaville. On the way they see the sea of blight and poverty in certain areas and frown. They are offended when vendors practice free enterprise. They hear about the rioting and killings and rampant drug war and give thanks that it mostly happens in Kingston and other townships AWAY from their friendly confines. They are not aware that the government and police is mostly corrupt and unfair. They have no idea of the history, the exotic beauty, the culture, or pure excitement the island offers. They will go, stay in "safe" confines, be gluttons, apply sunsceen, climb a waterfall, watch great sunsets, get drunk, be pampered and could care less if it was Jamaica or any other island. Sadly they will never know the true Jamaica.

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this post should not be titled "the TRUTH about Jamaica", as it really has very little in it about Jamaica.

What it SHOULD be titled is something like "My unsolicited one-man's opinion about the 'typical' Jamaican Tourist" or "what is wrong with cozy man-made (??) high-priced, greedy resorts"

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:38 AM

My reply to 14VK: Speak for yourself only!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:35 AM
mm

Sound's like an accurate portrayal of the 'typical tourist'. Fortunately, I believe most fodorites are not typical.

MM
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:45 PM

To the original poster, to each his own. Some people are content to experience JA from the confines of an all-inclusive resort with an occassion trip to one of the common tourist traps on the north coast - well so be it. That is their idea of a fun vacation. The rest of us are bold and adventurous and gladly go in search of the true Jamaica coming away with memories that last a lifetime. Like I say, to each his own.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Here's an interesting self descriptive quote from one of 14VK8SHN's previous posts: "Computer surfer dregs only go to sites where registration isn't required. I know because I am a recovering nastyholic. And I used to do nothing but piss alot of people off. It was an addiction".

Note the past tenses used.