Reload this Page >

Kids in DR and how to avoid getting sick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:44 AM
kathy

Want to take my children to DR end June/early July, but I'm concerned about them getting sick. I wouldn't mind taking the chance on myself or my husband, but would hate to see them get sick while we are there. Any suggestions on how to avoid this, or any feedback on your experience in DR would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:19 AM
gail

Do not know specifically about DR, but when we went to Egypt with kids a year ago these are the steps we took andd avoided being sick. Most illnesses when travelling are related to bacteria on food and food preparation surfaces or in the actual food itself. (Like contaminated water). Cooking destroys ost of these bacteria, as long as the food is cooked hot enough and stays hot. So, avoid anything raw (salad, veggies, fruit) unless you can peel it yourself (like a banana). Drink bottled water and make sure the cap is sealed when you get it (to avoid someone filling it with contaminated water). Dairy products can be iffy. Fresh juices are probably OK, but make sure they are not concentrates where they use local water to mix them. Ice cubes, the same thing. We did not find these restrictions so severe as to limit our good time, exept we did miss fresh fruits and veggies - that might be hard in a tropical place. Many people say nice hotels are safe to eat anything in, and that will have to be your call on whether to trust it or not. Consult your kids MD about what you should do if they get a sick - depends on their ages, etc. We brought Pepto Bismol and never took it but gave it away freely to others on the tour. Other stronger things like Immodium are for real emergencies when dehydration is present, since the bacteria does actually need to work its way through your system.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
debbie

hi there, we just returned from the Paradisus and were concerned also. We all took Probiotica for 2 weeks before we left and while we were there. My husband and myself each had a day of slight diahrrhea but nothing to keep us from doing anything. Kids were fine and we ate everything including salads since they are vegetarians! We brought everything with us Pepto, Imodium, Pedialyte, Tylenol, Penicillin, etc and we were fine. You can read my trip report on www.concierge.com Go and have a great vacation - we had a ball!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
kathy

Thanks Debbie. What is Probiotica? Is this something you need a prescription for?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:22 AM
Sandye

When traveling with our three kids, I always take some chewable Equate tablets from Walmart (they're like Pepto but can be given to smaller children) and depending on the size of the kid, I give them each a chewable tablet or 1/2 of one before we head out for breakfast everyday. Keeps their tummies settled, the runs at bay and certainly won't hurt them.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:55 AM
Susan

Why would you risk taking your children to a place where it is a very good possibility that they will become very ill?<BR><BR>Do you realize that in the DR after a storm their sewage system backs up into their water system?<BR><BR>Now what degree of cooking can kill that amount of bacteria?<BR><BR>And further more, you say you don't care if you or your husband get sick...woow, you are one heck of a woman!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:14 AM
dlc

I agree; why take the chance.<BR><BR>I've thought about going to the DR but extensive research convinced me that the chances of GI-tract problems were significantly greater there than on many other islands in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>There are lots of gorgeous islands where hardly anyone gets sick. I can only take a trip once every 2 years, so I want to maximize my chances for a positive experience.<BR><BR>I'm also less willing to put up with "a little diarrhea" at age 50 than I was at 20.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:02 AM
xxx

I've been thinking about planning a trip to the DR wiht my family. Mainly because the AI prices are so much less expensive than resorts on other islands. The reason we haven't gone is because of the risk of getting sick. It's funny that you mention you don't mind if you or your husband gets sick but not the kids. That's how I felt until I realized, if my husband or/& I were sick who would watch the children? I'm sticking to Turks & Jamaica for now. Done Barbados and didn't care for Almond but loved Beaches in Negril. Good luck

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:09 AM
debbie

i was nervous about taking the kids but they had a great time, did not get sick and cannot wait to go back. Anytime you go somewhere new there is a risk of illness. Probiotica is made by Imodium and puts good bacteria into your digestive tract. It worked for us. It seems like the people who get sick are people who eat and drink to excess.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Boopsie

Sticking with Turks and Jamaica? My husband who has been to Mexico many times with little or no ill effect got very ill in both Jamaica and on Provo. You can never tell and there is no foolproof place!!!!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Susan

Boopsie-<BR>Thanks for the advice. My husband and I only travel to Aruba because it is safe, clean and they have the largest water desaltation so the water is like purified water bottle.<BR><BR>I'm with you though, why risk and chance a very expensive vacation.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Susan

In fact, i've been tossing ideas of going to St. Johns & Turks & Caicos, but now I decided i'll be ONLY going back to Aruba and Maybe Cayman Islands because I heard it is also safe there.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:36 AM
larry

OK, there are people who have become ill in Aruba, and people who have visited the DR with no problems.<BR><BR>However - it's all about probabilities. If you read lots of trip reports, guidebooks, bulletin boards, etc., it becomes pretty clear which places offer a better chance for a problem-free vacation.<BR><BR>I've stayed in Jamaica, St. Croix, Aruba, and St. Thomas with no ill effects. I did have some problems in Kenya and Tanzania, but that was a trip I'm glad I took. If you feel the DR has something unique to offer that you won't find elsewhere, go for it. But if you're picking it over other Caribbean destinations just to save a few bucks, I would think twice.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Mary

I just returned from a volunteer mission in DR with 40 college students. As the only adult I was more apprehensive than most. I did not get ill, but 25% of the students got very ill. We were in a remote location with poor facilities. There did not seem to be a common denominator to their illnesses, but things to avoid are dairy products, especially any ice-cream from street vendors (even wrapped goods) water, ice, fresh fruit and veggies, unless eaten at very reputable places. I am returning to work there for two weeks in June and to be honest I am not sure I would risk the health of young children there. I love the place and the people, but you have to be so careful! If you do go take lots of Immodium. Certain innoculations are suggested and we took malaria pills, too