Search

Kamalame

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Jim

Kamalame

Has anyone stayed there? I found its web site but I haven't seen it discussed anywhere. I saw a good rate and was wondering what it's like. I have to double-check how to get there. I believe it's off the coast of Andros? Thanks!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:31 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:40 PM
whatthe

what's the cryptic ttt mean in so many of these messages?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:41 PM
xxx

"To the Top."

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:48 PM
x

Has to be one of the worst website designs ever.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Tell all

So, please tell about Kamalme Cay in Andros, Bahamas. It looks incredible. Have been to Harbour Island was not that impressed except the beach. <BR><BR>Has anyone stayed at Kamalme Cay. Want to surprise my husband for b'day.<BR><BR>Please give any info you can provide.<BR><BR>thanks so much!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:18 AM
Anne

Has anyone recently been to this resort. Would appreicate any and all info. We are looking for a quiet beautiful beach/resort. Cottage/villa to rent steps from "azure" water. <BR><BR>Have been to Harbour Island and was not too impressed except for the beach. Is this a prettier island.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:26 AM
Robyn

Not impressed by Harbour Island???? What didn't you like about Harbour Island? You have to remember that the biggest draws for the Bahamas are the beaches and the water. There's not much going on otherwise. HI at least has shops and restaurants to choose from. Kamalame Cay is absolutely isolated with just a beach and water. So I am not sure what you lacked at HI that you think you would get in Andros.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:34 AM
Mary

Personnally, I think Fodor's staff did an excellent job designing this website. So user friendly and so far the best one I've seen or used.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:38 AM
x

I was talking about the KAMALAME website.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:05 PM
Mary

Should have known that. Duh.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Ann

Wow, don't bite my head off cause I wasn't all that impressed with Harbour Island. I loved the people, Coral Sands was a great place to stay. I just didn't think other than their 3 mile beach that it was beautiful or tropical looking. I didn't see much for shopping. The restaurants were great. We haven't been in 2 years.<BR><BR>After going to Bermuda, Hawaii and St. John, I just didn't think HI compared.<BR><BR>We are looking this time for just a beautiful small resort and the water for a quick 3 day getaway. Kamalame looked very lovely and just wanted to know more about it.<BR><BR>Sorry if I offended those of you that love HI.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:52 AM
NYC

Just got back from Kamalame last night!<BR>It is SPECTACULAR, truly a gem. You must go!! It is off the coast of Andros, you can either take a sea plane, a charter from Nassau or a boat (approx 45 minutes).<BR><BR>I highly recommend the ocean front cottages - completely secluded, private beach right outside your french doors. In fact each cottage is set far enough apart that you could not see anyone else. They give you golf carts to ride around the island on, to give you an idea of how spread apart everything is.<BR><BR>The food is excellent, the staff is very friendly, the owners are wonderful people. The water is beautiful - bone fishing, deep sea fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, even wing shooting are the activities. And a very nice pool &amp; beautiful Tiki Bar where they have buffet &amp; live band on Saturdays.<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Beantown

Finally, someone reported about Kamalame. Can't wait to go. Sounds gorgeous. How was the trip down there? Was it difficult to get to the island? Any other info would be so appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:41 AM
NYC

Flight time on the sea plane/charter is about 10 minutes from Nassau. We took the boat from the hotel going (they met us at the airport), which was easy as you dock right at the hotel, and coming back we took a charter flight as the waters were rough - taxi to the airport was approx 20 minutes and we flew w/ Fred Curry of Andros Air, $250 for the trip, and a driver will take you from the tarmac to the other end of the airport for your flight out. OR, there are 2 scheduled flights a day to/from Nassau/Andros Town, on either Bahamas Air or Western Air, prices about the same about $50 each way - at 8am-ish or 3:30pm. We would've taken those flights but they didn't work out with our flight schedule. When you book w/ Kamalame ask them to make all the arrangements for you.<BR><BR>Beds are incredibly comfortable &amp; the owner's wife was an interior decorator so the furnishing are beautiful... the photos on the website are accurate but don't quite do it justice even, in my opinion. The beach by the cottages are secluded, calm and clear. Nice supply of shells and sand dollars too!<BR><BR>The island is a thin strip of powder white sand and many coconut trees. The horse flies were the only issue - nasty sting - but each room has mosquito coils, A/C and a bottle of Skintastic spray which if you apply liberally does the trick. Breakfast is continental buffet with eggs, sausages etc. to order. Lunch is one choice with a dessert, and dinner is appetizer w/ 2 choice of entrees, dessert and after dinner drink. Wines were very good and all food/alcohol is included in the room rate. Each room is stocked w/ a refrigerator w/ water, soda, beer. And fresh baked cookies delivered to your room daily.<BR><BR>Dress at meals is casual - some people were even barefoot, and dining is communal. There are 3 separate tables that seat about 8 each. Or you can dine privately as well. They will accomodate any request - be it at your cottage, on the beach, etc.<BR><BR>Any more questions, let me know.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Beantown

Great indepth report. Only other report when you say &quot;horse flies&quot; is it only certain times of the day. Or are they all day long on the beach?<BR><BR>Thanks for all you help.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:48 AM
NYC

Beantown - <BR>Horse flies were around pretty much all day long - both on the beach and on the water - but not at night. Mosquitos were only an issue at sunset.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got married at Kamalame Cay and it was the most relaxing and romantic vacation we have ever ever been on. We made 2 phone calls to arrange our wedding with the resort, and that was it, it was all taken care of! The staff made it a beautiful occasion (we brought or told none of our family and friends that we were getting married-so the staff were our honoured guests, and the owners our 'witnesses'!)

My husband has a very high stress job, and this was just what we needed! The staff (including the hands-on owners!) are available to accomodate most any request!
It is a unique experience, don't expect shopping and crowds, this is an isolated place, with an incredible beach, to let it all go, and be pampered! There are a few activities to be had: bonefishing, diving, long walks on the beach, etc!
NYC description of the resort and destination are right on.
Deep Woods off is a suggestion for the mosquitos!
There are CD players in the room, so bring some cd's to enjoy!
Beautiful destination for the vacationer who truly wants to relax and see life from a new perspective. Highly recommended!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there snorkeling right off the beach here? If so, how is it?