Just returned from a week in Bermuda!

Aug 14th, 2000, 07:14 AM
KT

Just returned from a week in Bermuda!

What a spectacular vacation!! My husband and I just returned from spending a week at the Pompano Beach Club on the south shore of Bermuda. It was our first time to Bermuda and we are already trying to figure out when we can return. The resort was wonderful and the island beautiful, friendly, clean, and with plenty to occupy our time. Thanks to other "posters" who gave advice on where to stay and what to do! If I can answer any questions...just ask.

Aug 14th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Joseph cameron

We are going to Bermuda later this year, and would appreciate any suggestions about moderately priced restaurants, as well as things you especially enjoyed seeing. Many thanks, Joseph

Aug 14th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Musman

Moderately priced food:
Fish sandwich at the Ice Queen

Early-bird suppers at restaurants along Front St.

The pizza place at the entrance to Horseshoe Bay

The restaurant at the Dockyard (soup, quiche, pie)

The sandwich/ice cream shop by the old church in Georgetown

The purple catering truck, hard to find, but worth the trouble!

Favorite things to do:

Shop!

Walk the old railway trail, esp. the portions along the ocean

Ft. St. Catherine

Visit the other hotels (so you'll know where else you'd enjoy staying on you nest trip!)

The spectacular beaches on the South Shore.

Sounds strange, but the cemetaries are very neat & church services are wonderful

Spectacular golf

The Perfumery & Gardens & the Botanical Gardens, both lovely even in the winter

I could go on & on & on ....

Aug 15th, 2000, 07:19 AM
KT

Some moderately priced restaurants that we enjoyed were the Frog & Onion Pub at Dockyard for lunch and Tio Pepe's on Middle Road for a wonderful Italian dinner. We had the MAP, so we ate at our hotel and several others for dinner 4/7 nights. The hotel food was very good, but not as enjoyable as getting off the property and doing a little exploring. Some things we especially enjoyed were: exploring Hamilton, the views along the road to Dockyard, watching the glassblowers at Dockyard, the view from Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, renting a 13' Boston Whaler at the Somerset Marina and exploring the inlets, harbours, and islands, taking a snorkel cruise, and of course the wonderful beaches and ocean. We did rent a scooter and found it to be a great way to have the freedom to get around where we wanted, when we wanted, without having to rely on buses or ferries or taxis (expensive). Please let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great trip!!

Aug 15th, 2000, 04:03 PM
Nan

Can you recommend a hotel? Do you know anything about the Reefs? What a dine around plan? Thank you

Aug 15th, 2000, 05:39 PM
Parrot Mom

Yes, the Reefs is highly recommended..but go to
http://207.201.156.73/cgi-local/index.cgi that is the site of the BOP, Bermuda Obsessed People...I too am going back for the 8th time in less than three weeks by crujise ship.. BTW nobody has mentioned the highlight of the island..Swizzle Inn...

Aug 17th, 2000, 05:34 AM
KT

As far as a hotel recommendation, it really depends on what you are looking for in a resort--do you want a large "chain-type" hotel with many services and amenities or do you want a smaller "cottage colony" with a more intimate feel, etc. As mentioned in my first post, we stayed at the Pompano Beach Club and recommend it highly. When planning the trip we narrowed it down to either Pompano or the Reefs, and I don't think you would be disappointed in either one. We stopped by the Reefs to check it out and it too looked lovely. We did have the MAP dine-around plan and used it 4/7 nights. We ate at Pompano twice, Ariel Sands once, and Cambridge Beaches once. The food at all three was very good. However, we like to also experience the flavors of local restaurants, and knew ahead of time that we would go off property for several dinners. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful trip. Please ask any more questions.

Aug 19th, 2000, 11:14 PM
Donia

I was interested in Pompano Beach Club and the Reefs too, but got the impression that the guest rooms in both places weren't that nice. What did you think?

Aug 22nd, 2000, 06:41 AM
cb

Can only speak about The Reefs. The rooms are not The Four Seasons, but are very nice...bright, clean, and most offer spectacular sea views (The Reefs has a great locatiion). See for yourself at www.thereefs.com. We go every year and the place has been consistently very good, including gourmet food and a great beach side restaurant, Coconuts, and a nice, convenient beach. Reserve early at The Reefs, there is rarely much available last minute. Among our favorite free places to visit in Bermuda for memorable views are Scaur Hill Fort Park and Astwood Park. For something out of the way try a natural area such as Spittal Pond or Blue Hole Park. Spring for the small tab and go to the top of Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for the best panoramic view of all of Bermuda. Enjoy!

Aug 22nd, 2000, 03:09 PM
KT

From the research I did, looking at websites, and posting on this board I get the general impression that the hotel rooms in Bermuda are not of the "Ritz" standard etc., because most of the hotels are older properties. That said, the rooms at the Pompano Beach Club are older, but newly renovated and very well kept. Our room was clean, bright, and comfortable and the views from every room there are spectacular. If you check out the Pompano website www.pompano.bm the pictures of the rooms are very accurate. Enjoy your trip!

Oct 30th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Judi Larkin

Hello,
Just returned from Bermuda after spending 4 days & 3 nights there. Not enough time. For the 1st time, I think you need to spend @ least a week there. So much to do & see.
I loved it.
Stayed @ Grotto Bay, very clean, pretty views & food just ok. Went all inclusive, would not do again, ever. This is the 1st time I went allincl. We had to rush back to eat b/c we already had paid for our food! I went with a girlfriend who always goes all inclusive. She loves to just lay on the beach. I like to explore the island, try the wonderful food @ the many restaurants. I wouldn't stay @ Grotto Bay again b/c I liked being on the South Shores with all the beautiful beaches & nearer Hamilton.
Ferry ride around the island is a must, you get to see so much.
Shopping @ the Dockyard was wonderful. We missed the Dolphins, heard they were there.
Loved Horshoebay beach.
At least one taxi ride is a must do. Just watch your meter, shared the taxi with 3 other people & he gave us a set price. Had the guy try to charge us way over what he told us originally, I said something & he agreed to drop the price & turned off the meter. He did give us a little history along the way. He took us to see his friend's pet pig. A huge pig who sat down for his food! Very interesting. hmmmm
I loved St. George's, very quaint with all it's beautiful churches.
Loved Swizzle Inn, but thought they're rum swizzler too strong. Grotto Bay had a much better swizzler! I did like the Swizzle Inn's dark & stormy drink though.
Loved the most efficient buses, enjoyed the ride to Hamilton, beautiful vistas.
Loved the coral walls & winding roads.
I would have liked to see the perfume factory, shopping in Hamilton, ( only went to two stores there ). I would have liked to see the lighthouse, the Botanical gardens, & explored more hotels & beaches.
Only drawback is we like to go on a vacation in the winter to get away from NE weather, & Bermuda is too cold then.
Our other seasons are too nice to get away. Wish they had better weather, I also like to sunbathe sometimes, but I also love to explore.
I would go back to Bermuda if the opportunity presented itself. In the meantime there's a whole US still to see!

Oct 30th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Parrot Mom

Okay..picture of pig at the Bermuda Obsessed People site..http://www.keyguide.com/cgi-local/index.cgi .. also if your in N.E. you must go to the BOP party this coming weekend.. at Houlihans in Framingham.. read note by Fran on that site.. it's a blast..