JUST RET'D FROM ATLANTIS!

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 08:06 AM
demi

JUST RET'D FROM ATLANTIS!

My husband and I just spent 6 days and 5 nights at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas (Paradise Island). What an amazing property, and it's still not finished. Our room was in the Beach Tower with a great view of the ocean and one of the many pools the property has. The resort is still underconstruction though. Specifically: Cave Beach is closed, Cafe Martinique is closed and the Ocean Club is closed, therefore ruling out dining at the Courtyard Terrace. Down by the Coral and Royal Towers they are also doing construction on and near the beach. It does not interfere with your sleep or use of the facilities at all. That's how large the resort is. <BR> <BR>Several people in this post has claimed that it is expensive. Fear not as we are east coast people and found the prices condusive to what we're used to. This does not mean to say that all of the restuarants are like this. They vary in style and price like most places. It's what you chose to eat. However, if you are a smoker I suggest you bring from hone as the average cost of a pack is $5.50. <BR> <BR>Personally, we highly recommend the resort and saw no reason to leave the premise and venture into town. The only time we did leave the property was to do the Blue Lagoon/Dolphin Encounter tour since we love sea life (and highly recommend it if you love dolphins.) It's worth the money. <BR> <BR>As for the people, rooms, service, and kindness in general; we found everyone to be extremely kind and polite at the resort. In fact, that are constantly asking you if you are comfortable and happy which I applaud. <BR> <BR>Our general take on the place was Las Vegas meets Disney World built for all ages! It's breathtaking! Hope this helps anyone who is curious.

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Tracy

Did you happen to venture over to see the Comfort Suites Hotel adjacent to the Atlantis. We are looking into this hotel or the Atlantis.?

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 05:41 AM
demi

Yes Traci - we did see the comfort suites - they are directly across the road from the main entrance to the Beach Towers of Atlantis. ALl of hteir rooms have kitchenettes which I hear comes in handy if you have a family or are on a budget. They're nothing special mind you. Hope this helps.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 05:52 PM
Deb

We are planning a trip in April with our 12 year old son. we will be in the Beach tower, is this far from the pool with the big slide? Any recommendations for restaurants that we should definitely try? (Keep in mind a twelve year old, we aren't looking for real fancy) when is the construction supposed to be complete? We've heard about the dolphin trip, sounds great. Any other fun things we should check out? We like to snorkel. If anyone has recommendations for restaurants near the hotel (especially cheaper breakfast places), please reply.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 11:48 PM
Bob

Demi; Try the Hurricane Hole shopping center to the left of the Paradise Island Bridge. Cute little deli with inexpensive sandwiches and soup, plus pizza, etc. Also, Domino Pizza delivered to our rooms at the Comfort Suites when we stayed there; probably will room deliver to Atlantis as well. Also, walk down a short path to the right of the P.I. Bridge, and take the small ferry boat across the harbor to Nassau, and stock up on snacks for the room at the Winn Dixie food store. There is also a Dunkin Donut across the street from the British Colonial Hotel. Have fun. Bob

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 12:03 AM
Bob

Deb; Sorry for confusing you with Demi.Forgot to mention, call Bahama Divers and schedule a snorkeling tour with them. We go scuba diving often throughout the Bahamas, and found the waters off Nassau interesting. On one trip, there were snorkelers along because the reef was so shallow; I believe it was Cannonball Reef. Beautiful coral formations and dozens of different reef fish species were Id's in only 8-25 feet of water. They will probably pick you up at your hotel as well. If not, they will pick you up at the Comfort Suites, which are a one minute walk from the Atlantis(right across the street). Do not snorkel if the dive boat is going to the Lost Blue Hole. We scared up 48 Caribbean Reef Sharks on that dive as we ventured into that beautiful blue hole 50 feet under, and they all cruised to the surface. I wouldn't want to be snorkeling and splashing around the surface by the dive boat on that excursion. Ask Bahama Divers for a time when they go out for snorkeling only...the thrill of a lifetime seeing all the coral, sponges and reef fish on safe, and shallow dives. They've been in business in Nassau for over 30 years and are safe with beginners. Other 12-year-old ages snorkeled on that trip to Cannon Ball Reef. There are other great snorkeling trips as well. Will also take a video of your family for you snorkeling among multi-colored reef life. When your son experiences true coral reefs, he'll know he's in a Caribbean habitat. Once again, have fun!