Reload this Page >

Just Back Sandals Antigua

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 03:39 PM
cara

Just got back from a wonderful 2 week WeddingMoon at Sandals Antigua,any questions?

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 06:38 AM
kay

would love to hear all about the resort,how about sharing a trip report with everyone? thanks

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Greenie

yes, i agree...why dont you share a trip report...that answers many people's questions right off the bat...these q & a posts are lazy

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 03:32 PM
bonnie

How was the food?

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 07:10 PM
cara

The food was very good. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I liked the Italian restauraunt best. My husband liked the OK Corrall.I was surprised the food was really good, we had a great time and will be back soon.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Marie

Hi Cara - We are planning on going to Sandals Antigua in July. Is there a lot to do?? Are the planned activities, parties fun? Did you meet other couples to hang out with? Is 6 nights too long?? As you can see I have alot of questions and would appreciate any information. <BR> <BR> Thanks so much - Marie

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 05:29 PM
cara

We stayed for 2 weeks and I could have stayed forever. We met a lot of nice couples. The food is very good. Sandals has different things going one ach night if you want to be kept busy. They have 2 theme nights.Sunday don't miss Shirley Heights it has a beautiful view. $20- per person from Sandals. After is the beach barbecue they set up tables on the beach and there is entertainment to follow.Some people bring a bottle of wine to the Jacuzzi and stay up all night, it really depends on what you like to do. They have karaoke a couple of nights. The International buffet is usually on Friday (very good). You will have a great time!

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 06:44 AM
C Denis

Did you venture outside of the resort? If so, what did you like/dislike about Antigua? Did you see inside the 'Rondoval" villas on the property? If yes, can you describe them please. The Sandals brochures, have just one picture of them and all you see is the bed. I called the resort directly and was told by a staff member that they are rather small inside, however they seem to have the best view of the ocean. I trying to decide if they are worth it? Please help.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 01:48 PM
cara

Our favorite activity outside the resort was Shirley Heights on Sunday there is a beautiful view of the island and Nelson's Dockyard. Pretty high up! St. John is okay for shopping we went at 10:00am and returned at 12;30 $5 each from Sandals. We did kokomo cats Circumnavigation 8hrs. way too long! We went into the Atlantic and it was so rough waves coming from all directions higher than the boat. The beach you go to is terrible and the snorkeling was horrible. Wadadli is a better boat sturdier. I just wouldn't pick a trip so long. The Jolley Roger was fun, rope swinging, walk the plank, a good luch steak, lobster, or chicken. The beach was better than the circunavigation one, but nothing like the beach at Sandals. They also offer snorkeling on this trip and its good because your back by 2;30pm. The Rondovals are nice. The oceanfront roome are numbers 301-307. There are only 7 ocanfront. Ask for the brochure of Sandals Antigua only, there have pictures of the inside of the Rondovol.We had a great time at Sandals, you'll love it.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 12:21 PM
Alex

I would be careful about reading anything from someone that writes a "Just back from.." type of post. They are either a travel agent looking for dough, or part of the resort, or lead extremely boring lives and would think anything is great. Just a piece of advice from your uncle Al.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 04:02 PM
cara

I am definetly not a travel agent and I did get married at Sandals Antigua on February 15, 2000, at 10:00am. I had a great time at the resort and just wanted to offer my knowledge to future travelelers. People on this board gave me a lot of great information about Sandals and Antigua and I felt it was my turn to give something back. And I'm sorry, but I lead a very exciting life!

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 07:52 PM
karen

Hi Cara, I'm going to Sandals Ocho Rios for a weddingmoon. Can you please tell me what your wedding was like? Any details would be appreciated. Like you, my wedding is also going to be at 10:00 am. I'm really curious...what the heck did you do for the rest of the day?!!! Also we're paying extra for a video but do not have witnesses. Do you know if they'll let the witnesses they provide take photographs with our camera? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 09:39 AM
cara

Are Wedding was at 10:00am, A flower girl comes to your room about 10 minutes before and gives you your bouquet. She can help you with any thing you may need last minute. She is an adult not a child and I thought that was silly, but I felt better having her there because we were by ourselves and very nervous. We look back now and it was so silly that we were so nervous. You walk down the aisle to music I picked the wedding march.Meet your groom ceremony begins. After you are married you go over to the cake. Toast each other Cut the cake. First Dance bring your own cd. Then you sign the wedding papers and its done. Then if you buy the pictures you go around the grounds. We were done with everythig by 11:30am. He was very hot after the wedding we changed into our bathing suits and had lunch and then went to the beach. It's good to have the early time because you don't miss out on the whole day. They have a sunset cruise at night I think it's around $40- per person. Our dinner was at 7pm We could pick Lobster, Filet Mignon and something else. It was great. Make sure you bring something for the top of your cake. You could buy flowers from them if you like. No one told us and we were running around town to find a bride and groom it was very difficult. We were very happy with the whole wedding. any other questions just ask. The video comes free. I don't know if the witnesses can take pictures, but you could ask. I know some other couples asked people to take pictures of them. You could ask another couple who is getting married and do it for them too.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Jamie

We were at Sandals Antigua in January and met a couple on the flight there who were getting marrried. After meeting with the wedding cooordinator and seeing the price of the picture packages, they asked us to take pictures for them which we gladly did. Sandals didn't have any problem with us doing this that I know of. (At least nobody said anything to us). It was really a neat ceremony to watch. Congratulations and best of luck ! Enjoy !

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Sandy Nelson

We were also at Antigua in January and were witnesses for our friends wedding there. We were very impressed with the ceremony, the wedding couple have a choice of location on the property where they want the wedding to take place (ie., beach or gazebo). Our friends chose the gazebo (as did most the other couples getting married there that week) and Sandals did a wonderful job of decorating the area with flowers, there was a clothed table with two high-back chairs set up and decorated with flowers, with the cake and champagne, etc. There was a separate table (also decorated)for signing the paperwork. The officiant was wonderful and very moving, it was no way a "quickie" wedding, and the Sandals personnel had no problem with me taking lots of pictures before and after the ceremony and we got another person (who had become part of our "group" while there) to take a video at the same time, plus they also had the property videographer and photographer, too. The groom was even "miked" so that the video had sound. A real nice touch. The Sandals personnel also graciously allowed us to share the champagne and h'orderves with these other friends who dropped by to watch, too! That evening was a wonderful dinner that the wedding couple is able to select and pre-order (which they allowed us to join, too). All in all it was a very classy affair from start to finish - I can only presume the quality will be the same at your location. I would advise, however, that you check in immediately with the wedding coordinator at the property once you arrive, I know that on Antigua there is a mandatory resident requirement before a ceremony can take place and they bus the couples into town in time to get everything in order, you'll need to inquire about that sort of thing. It was well organized once you knew the program...

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 09:41 PM
karen

thank you (all of you!)for all the great wedding info. I never would have thought to take a cake top! Unfortunately the video is no longer free! Its 150usd. Do they video you after the ceremony too or just the ceremony? Also, we would like to rent a tuxedo. Did you do this? I'm concerned about the time factor. We arrive June 26 evening and get married June 28 1000am. Is that enough time to get a tux rented? (probably from Ocho Rios)

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 07:04 AM
cara

They video the ceremony, the first dance, the toast, cutting of the cake, signing of papers. If you ask before time I'm sure you could get them to video you after, I would have loved to have video on the beach. We bought the tuxedo, I think it was around$500- for everything. Ask the wedding department about renting one down there. Have a great time!

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 08:10 AM
phil

Hi. My wife and I spent Christmas and New Year's Eve at Sandals last year and yes, although we had a fine time I just find it hard to gush on and on about a prefabricated resort without much real substance or style that is made for the specific purpose of herding in as many foreigners as possible to make a quick buck for the owner(s). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my stay, but what I enjoyed most was getting off the compound and actually seeing the island. I don't know about you all, but I go away to different places to feel like I am somewhere else and to learn and experience things unlike those I already have at home. Yes, the food was good at Sandals, but a typical meal out in town or off on the other side of the island was far superior, just for the fact that I was eating with locals and tasting a dish that didn't look like it came from some chain restaurant in the states. OK Corral, come on, TGI Friday's serves up the same slop in any strip mall. I don't think I would go to a Sandal's resort again. They are clean and safe and nice and comfortable, but a bit lackluster and fake at the same time. I mean, really, to go to a resort like this and not leave the resort is a tragedy as far as I am concerned. You really could be anywhere, but nowhere at the same time. <BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 03:32 PM
Carrie

Cara or anyone that was at Sandals Antigua in Feb 2000, can you tell me how the weather was for your stay? My fiance and I are looking into going there for our honeymoon which will be at the end of Feb. 2001. Thanks.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 06:15 PM
Cara

It was warm, not too hot. I would have preferred a little bit warmer water. WE WENT TO Jamaica in April the year before and I stayed in the water all day it was so warm, I didn't feel that way in February in Antigua. It wasn't quite hot enough for me. Maybe 85 degrees the highest. We had a wonderful time though. I was miserable when we left. The temperature was perfect for my husband he can't take high humidity, and there was none when we were there. I would definetly go to Antigua rather than the Bahamas, we were booked to go there, but found out the water,(ocean) would probably be to cold to go into.If you have any other questions email me, we really had a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -