just back from wow,GRENADA

Feb 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

just back from wow,GRENADA

We just returned from six too short nights in grenada.We stayed at blue horizons. we toured a lot of the island by cab which was fairly inexpensive.LaSagesse is a great spot, we spent a whole day there,they pick you up at your hotel free of charge,Spend the day on their beach,nature tour and lunch,inexpensive and worth it.It seemed about 90% of the people vacationing there were europeans which we found was great,Not knocking americans which we are,but they are very laid back,freindly,not pushy.Could go on and on.Gorgeus island,great beaches,great weather,but the best part was the people,Both tourists and locals .Go before it becomes popular and they destroy it.
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM

As a fellow Grenadaholic I would be most appreciative if you would share a few more details about your trip. How did you like BH? Where did you eat? What did you see?

How is the cricket stadium coming? Will it be ready in time for WCC finals?
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Would love to hear more the places you visited so I can pick up some tips. I know what you mean about the europeans. Antigua is the same way which we love.
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Where did you decide to stay, mymoosie? What dates will you be down there?
Feb 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM

ej - this is a link you will find interesting.

Sooo Caribbean (in a funny way) -

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2429938.shtml
Feb 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Hi ejcrowe -
We are booked for a week at Lance
Aux Epines Cottages 6/8-6/14. We plan to tack on a few more days before that at Flamboyant.
Also going to hop to Carriacou for a couple of nights within that timeframe, and also spend a couple of nights at Big Sand in Union Island.

Did you book your flight for May yet?
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:52 AM
santharamhari

ejcrowe,

I will be in Grenada for the World cup super eight games.....staying at the Villa Caribella....what do you think?

Any recommendations for 8 nights? we have cricket on three of those days....

Cheers,
Hari

Feb 11th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Grenada is fantastic. I love it there. I have friends going in a few weeks and I am trying to help them with what to do / see, etc. It is such a beautiful place and yes I appreciated the fact that there were so many Europeans there. We met some great people during our trip.

Feb 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM

mymoosie, the LAE cottages are in a good location. I'll be staying right down the road from them in May in a self-catering apartment. I've not booked my airfare yet. Apparently AA is not running their usual sale because of the WCC, so it looks like I'm looking at US $650 or so per ticket. Yikes!

Diana, thanks for the link. I'll check it out right away!

Hari, I'm not familiar with the Villa Caribella, but it sounds familiar. Did you rent through www.SpiceIsleVillas.com? If so, that's why it sounds so familiar. For non-cricket events, I'd suggest a day beaching and hiking and kayaking at La Sagesse, followed up by a meal in their restaurant. Fish Friday in the village of Gouyave would also be quintessentially Grenadian. For really fantastic local food, try Boots Cuisine, which is out of Boots' home.
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM
santharamhari

Yes, i did book thru them....thanks for the suggestions....

Hari

Feb 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Santharamhari: Please write when you return and give us a full report. I post on the Africa forum also and of course recognized your name! We are going to Grenada - hopefully - for Xmas 2007 (and Africa June 2007!) Very interested in hearing your reviews and of course recommendations! thx D.
Feb 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Okay, I meant to post back about the link that Diana listed here. Those poor bandmembers! How awful for the Chinese officials in attendance! How embarrassing for the Grenadians. And how amusing it is for all of us outsiders observing the gaffe.

For those of you who do not want to follow the link, here's the basic info: China donated the equivalent of millions of US dollars plus sent hundreds of workers to build the big stadium for the World Cricket Cup this spring. At the dedication ceremony with Grenadian and Chinese officials present, the local band mistakenly played the national anthem of rival Taiwan, not the Chinese one.

According to the article, however, Grenada is not alone on the world stage in such an error. Something along the same lines happened here in the US when Chinese officials were visiting the White House.