Just back from Tobago and Grenada!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi<BR><BR>I'm just back from a week in each Grenada and Tobago for my honeymoon. I don't have time to do a proper trip report yet, but if anyone wishes some questions answered, feel free to ask. In Tobago we stayed in Coco Reef and in Grenada we stayed in Laluna.<BR><BR>Angela
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:26 AM
M2

Congratulations, and please supply info on what your liked and didn't like about Grenada and also some comments on Laluna. Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:34 AM

Hi Angela,<BR>We are considering a vacation at LaLuna next winter so I too would be interested in your opinion -- both pros and cons. We are looking for laid back, no glitz, good food and attentive staff. Does Laluna fit these criteria?<BR>Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Angela, <BR><BR>I'm headed to Trinidad and Tobago in July and I'm dying to know what you thought. I'm a 26 y.o. male and I'm heading there with my best friend. I wanted to go somewhere &quot;untouched&quot; and I've read that Tobago is one such destination. We're staying at smaller places (Blue Mango and Manta Lodge). I hate crowds, I don't mind gettin' my hands dirty, and I really like to get to know the natives. Did I pick the right place?<BR>
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Hi, Whistle,<BR>I visited the Blue Mango for a tour and lunch this February, and, while I haven't stayed at the Manta Lodge, I've stayed at the nearby Blue Waters Inn twice. At neither place will you find crowds. Both of these small hotels are at the fairly isolated north end of Tobago. The middle of the island at that end is a mountainous protected park. That area is lightly settled -- just little fishing villages and no McDonalds! The Blue Mango offers fantastic views. You will have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:52 AM

HI Angela!<BR>I was in Grenada last year and I�m thinking about spending next holiday in Tobago. Can you (briefly) compare these two islands? I�m interesting in beaches, people,tourist development (lesser is better), public transportation ,PRIZES , etc. Thank you very,very much.David
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Oonarose, <BR><BR>Thanks for the information on Blue Mango, etc. I'm hoping to hire a guide for a &quot;tour&quot; of the forest in the middle of Tobago. I'm really looking forward ot the trip! Be well!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:05 PM

This &quot;no time to post trip report&quot; stuff really makes me mad!<BR><BR>People are posting questions, never to hear from orig. poster again. sheesh
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 03:13 PM

Dear Greenie,<BR><BR>Hear, Hear!!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys, I'm back again. Sorry it's taken so long but I've had so much work to catch up on (depressing) and I decided I deserved a short holiday over Easter!! I'm sure you uinderstand, Greenie!

Anyway, we went to Grenada first (1 week). We flew Virgin Airlines from London, via Barbados. As I said I stayed in Laluna. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. It was perfect - the staff were so friendly and did everything to make you feel relaxed and happy. The only rude person I encountered was the owner! - I heard him several times shouting at staff infront of guests. I personally think this is unprofessional. He is Italian, and his wife is from Trinidad -she was lovely. I even got introduced to their little girl Luna! They spend their days at the hotel and mix with the guests which is a nice personal touch.

The accommodation was excellent - little separate cottages (12 in all if I remember correctly) with a high pitched roof, four poster bed, large decking outside with private plunge pool, large comfy settee inside and out. The bathroom was so cool, it had little windows in the shower so you could see out over the whole ocean - brilliant and so different. The restaurant was lovely with views of the beach, the food was very, very good, but not excellent in my opinion. The bar area had large settees and a big day bed and was so relaxing. The beach was nice and just a short walk (2 mins) down the beach is a restaurant (which I cannot for the life of me remember the name of, it will come to me!!) which was excellent, and nice for a change. The hotel had live music on the Friday and Saturday night. The whole ambience of the place is pure relaxation, it was one of my favourite places ever to stay.

The island is small, not as developed as the larger islands. We went to see the Concord Falls which was interesting. It is only a short walk to get to from the parking area of the falls, to the actual waterfall.

We hired a jeep for the week (from Sunsation Tours), which I highly suggest you do. It means you can see the whole island at your own pace. Be warned though, there are NO signposts anywhere!!

We also tried the Aquarium Restaurant (close to La Source hotel) and it was extremely good. We got a seat overlooking the beach and the food was wonderful. We came across this place when out driving and just booked it for the next night.

We had a look around Spice Island Hotel. The beach was bigger and better than Laluna (Laluna has a lot of trees so you get lots of leaves on the sand, which isn't a big problem, but looks not as nice). The restaurant was beautiful but had a very limited menu. It is very close to other little cafes and a good shopping centre.

Also had a look at Rex Grenadian. Not impressed at all. So spread out, not a great beach, food not great.

I liked this island more than Tobago because it is slightly more developed (which others may not like!). Shops and restaurants in Tobago were to backward compared to Grenada, and there just wasn't as much to do. WHISTLEHAPPYTUNE - Tobago sounds like exactly what you are after.

Sorry, but my lunch hour has finished, I shall finish this off tomorrow, and write anout Tobago.

Hope this helps, and sorry it is so
long!!

Please feel free to ask anything I have missed.

Angela
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:55 PM

How did you travel from Grenada to Tobago?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

We flew with an airline called LIAT. A very small plane, but it was only a short ride - about 20 minutes if I remember correctly.

Angela
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Angela,

We are looking at combining 4 nights at la luna with 4 nights at either Spice Island or La Source. Did you get a chance to check out La Source? Also, we are big beach people - was the beach at La Luna too shaded with the trees?

Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Tim

There is a long stretch of totally unshaded beach at LaLuna, so don't worry!

We did go to La Source while we were in Grenada, but because it is strictly AI the gateman would only let us drive straight through the property - literally in one gate and out the other, so I can't give you any guidance at all, I'm afraid.

Spice Island was lovely though - it looked very quiet and relaxing, and as I said before, the beach really was fabulous. The dining room was lovely too. All the little tables for two were facing right out over the beach and looked very romantic!

I really want to go back! You are so lucky you still have it ahead of you. Make the most of it!!

Angela