Reload this Page >

Just back from St. Martin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Patty

Just returned from a weeklong trip to St. Martin. To tell the truth I was a bit apprehensive before we left due to the many negative posts. But we had a great time. The accommodations were great (Grand Case Beach Club). The weather was perfect. The islanders friendly and best of all the food was fantastic. Even the plane (AA)was on time. My overall impression of the island was that it was trying very hard to get back on track after all the hurricane damage (much of it still evident). It was much drier than I imagined and there was no lush vegetation. But then again, there were no bugs either. Finally, I would like to say that I never felt threatened or unsafe at any time. If I had the chance, I would return.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 01:23 PM
Jane

Patty, <BR> <BR>Could you please repost this message as specific to St. Martin, rather than Caribbean in general. It doesn't come up when St. Martin is the only country shown. <BR> <BR>Thanx for your time.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Tom

I'm sure the American woman who was gang raped and robbed felt safe too as she drove her rental car across the island with her husband. Safe indeed until the men stopped her car and pulled her out of it and gang raped her.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:55 PM
Jane

Tanx Tom, <BR>for bringing a positive post to the top. Your a sport.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Harvey

We have also just returned from St Martin and cannt understand this fixation with crime on these boards. <BR> <BR>We live in a fairly midsize midwestern town and I felt as safe there as i do at home. <BR> <BR>So a crime occured there? I have plans to visit New Orleans in September. After hearing about the fruitcase basketball player that wanted to start a riot on Bourbon Street, am I supposed to change my plans? <BR> <BR>Would I rather be on an island where an unfortunate rape occurred at 2am or on Bourbon Street during a riot? Tough choice? I think not. Maybe I'll just bag it all and go to Antartica.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 04:27 PM
Louis

After all that I have noted on the Caribbean site -- Welcome home safe and sound. However, for you all that have returned alive, it is time to explore other safer islands since you have survived the worse of the lot from the view from some except, perhaps Jamaica, which is worse according to others. I have not been to Jamaica, but I have been to the dutch side of St. Martin. Perhaps I have this wrong as I have never been able to it keep staight whether St. Martin is French or Dutch. True, the hurricane destruction was out of this world. However, this part of the Caribbean has never been noted for it lush growth. You really need to go much further south.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:14 PM
Jane

The threat to people has been greatly overplayed by a few individuals - with a cause they will not reveal. It is unfortunate that Fantasy Island does not exist - oh I'd love to meet Tatoo (didn't he pass away - it must of been on an island in the Caribbean, victim of crime.) <BR> <BR>People, you hear many accounts of travellers to St. Martin who say they felt safe, you see the same crime article umpteen times. One article, several traveler's account. You run the numbers. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 10:10 AM
Randy

Since you stayed at the Grand Case Beach resort, you must have eating up/down the street in Grand Case. What restaurant would recommend for a 25th anniversay?

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 10:19 AM
chas

Randy: <BR> <BR>Without a moment's hesitation, we would recommend L'Alabama. This is not to say anything negative about the other choices, our personal favorite. Between the food, the decor and the service (Pascal and Karin will charm you all night). <BR> <BR>If by some chance you may hint of this special occasion, I'm sure they will fall over backwards for you.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 01:23 PM
John

He was a football player. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Bubba

John: <BR> <BR>Huh? Hit in the helemt one too many times were you?