Just Back From Harbour Island

Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:04 AM
Belinda

Just Back From Harbour Island

Those of you who will remember my last post will know that we very nearly did not make it. However, my husband was determined to go and we left on Thursday and got back Sunday. The trip from the North Eleuthera Airport to the main dock on Harbour Island is a blur. Taxis and water taxis whisk you so fast you don't even have time to think.

Harbour Island is VERY Pretty and VERY Friendly and safe. Truly a special place. The beach is worth all the superlatives.

Stayed at Pink Sands which is a beautiful resort with good food -- very quiet and sedate.

Rented a golf cart and tooled around the island. Some random notes.

Tried Ma Ruby's for lunch and guess what? No CHEESBURGERS AVAILABLE. Oh well, had a delicious conch burger instead.

Stopped for a drink at the Valentine Yacht Club and Marina. Very pretty setting.

Nice shopping at Briland Ambrosia.

All in all a wonderful time.

Jul 25th, 2001, 12:02 PM
tweedy

I AM SO GLAD you got to go. Our little gem of an island is really being discovered.

Yes it is a bit funny when you land at Eleuthera, as the taxi's have done luggage SO MANY times, it all happens very quickly and the trip in the taxi to the dock is fast too, but the boat ride over is memorable as is the trip back. I never want to go home when I am on island.

NO CHEESEBURGERS? LOL. oh no, Must have run out of meat that day, but that's ok, you will just have to go back.

Did you get to Seagrapes or Gusty's? Did you get over to Runaway or Romora for dinner?

What's the news from the island? lol.

Thanks for the trip report and again I am so glad you had a good time.

tweedy

Jul 26th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Belinda

Well, I tried to get to Gusty's but they were only open certain evenings that week. The general feeling was very sleepy and laid back. I always seemed to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. When we tried Gusty's it was closed. When we went to Romora Bay Club, a private wedding was going on. Same with the cheeseburger story. I guess that's the only downside of going to a place in the off season. The locals were in holiday mode. Getting ready to go on their holidays. Still it was a great time.

Jul 27th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Shamless

Whew! Thanks for posting. I thought for a minute that we would go a day or 2 without a posting about Tweedy's promotions of Pink Sand's Harbour Island.

Jul 27th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Thank-you

And who the hell are you! I for one enjoy reading the posts on Harbour Island! i have never been there but will go one of these days. It is nice to have experienced people on this board-like it or not! Most of us do! Thanks Belinda and Tweedy for sharing! Shameless Grow Up!

Jul 30th, 2001, 11:57 AM
tweedy

Shameless, do you have a favorite place you go to for vacation? Is it beautiful, and you feel at home when you are there? If so I am sure when someone asks a question you probably post a response.

In real life I am an exectutive search professional and need my time on a beach whenever I can, things are usually pretty busy here. I like this board, because I can be on the phone and read posts at the same time. A sort of destress program, lol.

What we don't need here is the same kind of nasty comments that happen on other pages on this site, that' why I stopped going to the US board. This board is all very friendly people with a love of the carribean.

Aug 16th, 2001, 07:32 AM
gina

Is the island arid or "rainforesty"?
Are there animals or birdlife?
Jellyfish?

Aug 16th, 2001, 09:00 AM
tweedy

Gina, the island is really too small to be rainforesty but come to think of it some areas of the island not developed do sort of have a rainforesty look.

The island looks like a small carribean Martha's Vineyard, sort of. Most of the homes on island date back to the late 1700's and early 1800's. There are some nice hills for vantage points to see the ocean. There are bikes to rent and golf carts to see the island from one side to the other.

The beach and the water are what bring people to the island. I always find it rather amazing, that even during high season, you can walk the beach and see few people, especially in the ealry evening, when the water and beach are the most beautiful. Pink sand and clear aqua water.

Let me know if you need any more info.

tweedy

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Sara

I don't think one could describe Harbour Island as in the same class as
Martha's vineyard...far from it..other
than a gorgeous beach...the island is
not very picturesque...very run down...

We would go back because of the beach
and the friendliest people...great
food..but it doesn't look anything
like the Cape or Bermuda or Hawaii..no shopping to speak of either...

It's a relaxed island for people who
love the beach...or anything related
to water sports..other than that..it's
pretty low key...

Sara

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Shameless

Sounds pathetic in your description of the island. According to this Tweedy person, she says it's a gem. But you say it's run down, guess one should look in bringing a tent and shack up on the beach.

Aug 16th, 2001, 12:07 PM
tired

Shameless, your continual posts of negative comments on this and other posts(i.e. Cartwrights Cottages and Eleuthera) are starting to make for a dismal appearance. If you dont like what the messages are saying , then move on, Eleuthera and Harbour Island and indeed are quiet places , very proud places with proud people indeed so please take your comments and leave.

Aug 16th, 2001, 01:11 PM
joan

I disagree with Sara, in that I found Harbour Island to be quite picturesque. We stayed several years ago at the Landings, on the harbour side. Beautiful sunsets, lots of going-on right at our doorstep with the ferry arrival, and lots of neat old island-y houses.

P.S. Tweedy, keep on posting, you always manage to get the feel of HI across when you post!

So, shameless, do tell, where is YOUR favorite spot???

Aug 16th, 2001, 08:21 PM
tweedy

Thank you Joan. That was a nice post. I have to say I have been all over the carribean, and fell in love with Harbour Island in 1986 and have been going back each year.

To me it does look like some of the quaint places I have visited in the Northeast. Most of the older homes date back a ways, and after all the storms over the years, they are still there. Built well by boat builders. The Methodist Church on island is interesting in that the roof is a hull of a ship turned over and placed atop the church.

Not much shopping on island, but there are a few nice shops now and an art gallery.

Since the ferry start-up there have been a few more shops opening and there are some good restaurants.

Aug 17th, 2001, 01:54 AM
angela

Silly question!! Where is Harbour Island - is it one of the Bahamas Islands. Sorry for my ignorance.

Angela

Aug 17th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Shameless

Tweedy, your descriptive of Habour Island sounds like one of a travel agent and continues to promote the same businesses on the island, yet you claim to be an executive and have no ties whatsoever yet here is a partial quote from you...
Author: tweedy ([email protected])
Date: 7/25/2001, 4:02 pm ET

Message: I AM SO GLAD you got to go. Our little gem of an island is really being discovered.
Funny how your responsive/promotional posts outnumber all the others and yet very few including this "Joan" if she really exists seem to keep boasting about such a place. All we are getting is bias opinions from you which make for an ad. Give it a rest!!!

Aug 17th, 2001, 05:42 AM
joan

Tweedy: Ignore shameless! We wouldn't want this person to go to HI anyway.(Isn't it funny how the really nasty posters don't answer direct questions, and never use a real name or recognizable moniker?)

Aug 17th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Shamless

Well Joan, looks like you are advertising as well. Your anon. posts dont have any vaildity either and if your attitude of dictating who is and isn't welcome to "YOUR" island, than it doesn't sound "YOUR" island is a friendly place to visit either.

Aug 17th, 2001, 06:23 AM
sara

I agree with Shameless...I asked people
about Tweedy when we were there....I
believe she is helping in promoting
the island...and there is nothing wrong
with that...

I think I was most honest in my description of HI...the beach is gorgeous...is you stay at Pink Sands
or Coral Sands or any of the others
along the beach...it's great....
Other than that....the island is not
that pretty...the restaurants have
great food...people are great...

I just think Tweedy and Joan should
not misrepresent the Island as far
as beauty....that's all....again,,
I said we would return if we wanted
about 3 days just to relax of the
picturesque beach and go out to dinner..

Tweedy....can you even say that HI
even comes close to pictueresque as
in Bermuda or Hawaii or even St. John..

Sara

Aug 17th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Belinda

As an impartial observer who just returned from Harbour Island, I would have to say that it is idyllic. It reminded me of a laid back Bermuda. And although some of you may have found the island scenery lacking, it was more than made up for by the lovely safe feeling of the island. Everyone, (locals and tourists) were friendly. It's very safe!! It's small so you can get around it easily. I don't think that Tweedy overstates it.

Aug 17th, 2001, 11:32 AM
tweedy

If you look at postings you will notice I never start a thread, but do answer questions on the island. I have been going there a long time and many of the people on island know me because I have been bringing a chorus down to the island to raise funds for the Methodist Church which lost it's roof to Hurricane Andrew, and for the Harbour Island Day Nursery (day care center), so the women of the island can have a safe place to bring their children while they work.

I do not work for a tourist agency, I recive no money and I really resent your implications that I post even under different names.

If you don't want to read anything on the island, don't. There are LOTS of other postings on many other islands. Harbour Island is where I feel at home, and I have been to many islands in the Carribean and go back there, so to each their own. I don't begrude you your piece of "home" and it is not fair that you are down on anyone, including me for posting.

Many people over the years that have asked questions have emailed me directly or posted here that they have had a wonderful time.

The island has alot of history, wonderful people, and beauty, but so do many islands in the Carribean.

Harbour Island was highlighted on the Oprah show last year, and is the site of many ad campaigns and swim suit shoots.

In the last 5 years, I have helped raise over $20, 000 and co-chaired a hurricane relief fundraiser in New York and won the Consul General's award for some of the work I have done. Not tooting my own horn, just curious, Shameless what do you do to help others?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO