Search

Jewelry

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 09:32 AM
schneider

Jewelry

Does anyone have any recommendations (or cautions) on where to buy jewelry on St. Maarten?

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 11:56 AM
Cassie

Try Omni Jewelry - as you come onto the cruise tender pier, look immediately to the left side and you will see it. If you reach the 1st cross street you have gone too far. Owned by an Indian man called Cookie - our alumni group must have bought over $10,000 worth there last spring (60+ people) and everyone was very satisfied when they got home.

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 12:39 PM
Cheri

You can also trust the name stores like Little Switzerland, Columbian Emeralds. There are several stores that have branches on lots of islands. If you are worried, stick with them. Their prices are usually comperable.

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 09:14 AM
Carrie

Geeee...two of the my favorite topics...Jewelry & St. Maarten. <BR> <BR>As someone else mentioned Columbian Emeralds & Little Switzerland are two very nice stores, and are both in Phillipsburg & Marigot (Little Switzerland is also a great place for crystal and nice giftware). Other places in Phillipsburg on Front St are: Ballerina is very nice, and they have been around for years, nice merchandise and good prices. Diamonds (also good prices for liquor if intersted) also is very good, small place but have dealt with them for a number of years. There is also a place by the pier on Front Street, with "Diamonds" in their name. Mostly diamonds, hence the name, but nice things and a few friends now have purchased items and have been pleased. <BR> <BR>Hope you enjoy St. Maarten and Happy Shopping. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 08:32 PM
Lori

Any of the jewelry shops along Front St. and that area should be fine. Look for the karat mark on gold jewelry. If you want emeralds go to Columbian. The big name shops charge MUCH more usually for gold than the small ones. I have never had a problem with any of the stuff I've bought in the Caribbean. If you want to compare prices on a given piece, say a figaro link bracelet, (not on earrings because they don't sell by gram weight, more by complexity), get the price per gram of the item (assuming 14K gold across the board), and write down the name of the shop, the weight and the price. Then go next door. This gives you some way to compare between shops, since by looking at two bracelets (or items), the average buyer can't tell the weight. I highly suggest you shop at home first and get some idea of what you want, write it down and the price/gram weight. That way you know just how great a deal you're getting in the wonderful Caribbean!!!