Jamaica beaches?

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica beaches?

Okay, I know I'm all over the board trying to find a great vacation. I really love how Turks and Caicos looks, but still grasping for an all-inclusive and looking at Iberostar Rose Hall. What are the beaches and water like there? Looking for wide beaches and calm clear water; of course, TCI fits the bill, but feel like I have to look at everything... Should I look at Negril? We are just a mom, dad, and 22 yr daughter. We don't like the party scene. Just want to relax and snorkel...
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Negril has exactly the kind of beach you're describing. We used to go there all the time just to relax, snorkel, and eat at some of the tiny restaurants/bars on the cliffs. It was heaven to me, but my husband and kids wanted to try something new. Oh, and by the way, the party scene is pretty much limited to a few of the clubs on the beach and bars/restaurants on The West End ( the cliffs).

The only downside for some people is that Negril is a bit rustic. Most hotels are small family-run establishments, so if you're looking for Marriott or Hyatt standards, you may be disappointed. We find that part of the charm. Others would disagree.

And in case it's of interest, we visited Turks for the first time last year and loved it so much we're going back. But it is a much more expensive island than Jamaica- for everything. Not even close.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:04 AM
KVR

If you are wanting an AI in Jamaica, unless you are just a couple, I don't think Negril is the area that you are looking for. Most of the AI resorts in Negril are geared to couples and honeymooners. The people on this forum who consistantly recommend the Negril area do not usually recommend the AI resorts there on Bloody Bay. Just the non-AI hotels on 7 Mile Beach and the Cliffs. The 2 RIU AI resorts on Bloody Bay are low budget family friendly and not places I would recommend. Especially after staying at one of them.

Most of the 'nicer' family AI resorts are in Montego Bay. My first suggestion would be one of the Iberostar Rose Hall resorts. I did not find any decent snorkeling in Jamaica.

If you want really great AI resorts, good beaches, calm water and really good snorkeling, then Mexico would be the choice.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Was checking in because I know a bit about Negril. These first two posts really have it covered. Negril has a fantastic 7-mile beach but I don't think it sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

We love the Iberostar in Rivera Maya and returned many times, so we thought we would look into the Rose Hall resorts in Montego Bay. What are the beaches like there? Are there a lot of vendors on the resort's beach? We ran across them at the Mexico resort beach, but it wasn't overly irritating. Also, is the water calm or choppy? I sure wish TCI had more AIs! That is really the kind of beach we are looking for but got to be open to other options.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 10:36 AM

Hey Tropicfan1..Good day,you have great choices between Negril and Runaway Bay. I would recommend hotels in Negril and Runaway Bay. Montego Bay may not have the better beaches but is an area filled with hotels that would be suitable for the family. Rose hall resorts have a rocky area somewhat and may have less vendors on the beach as they are a little out of the busy town. You may find more vendors on the beach in Negril, this is where hippies use to come in the mid 1980s. you can make contact and i suggest places for stay