Search

Jalousie St. Lucia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jalousie St. Lucia

My favorite destination used to be the Hilton Jalousie on St. Croix. Has anyone stayed here since the Hilton days?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM

I'm going in October. You can be sure I'll be paying attention to this thread. But you might want to peek at what was said in my "I can't decide..." honeymoon-related post...
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

It is truly my favorite hotel destination ever. I just loved everything about the property and the cottages and the plunge pools. Have a wonderful trip there in October. I hope any changes are only positive ones.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I read somewhere -- and of course now I can't find the link -- that the villas at "Coffee Bean Bend" should be completely rennovated by July 2006 with the remaining areas not complete until 2007.

LuxuryLink has another Jalousie auction up. There were no bidders on the one that ended Monday.

starr, in answer to your question, there are a couple Jalousie sans Hilton right here on Fodors. Funny I come here to the boards for reviews first. lol
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM

starrsville,

"It is truly my favorite hotel destination ever." Ours also, along with Ladera!

I've seen the plans for the renovations and they truly look lovely! Though, I do believe when complete, there will also be a very lovely BIG price increase ;-) !
Very mixed emotions here .

One thing that does concern me is they will be renaming (add on) it as a "bodyholiday" resort as their other St.Lucia property "the bodyholiday" @ La Sport. As, "the bodyholiday La Sport" is a "all-inclusive" ONLY resort, with the focus on the inclusive daily Spa treatments. This alone will increase the cost to stay at this resort. I am not a fan of prepaying for activities, and or spa treatments, that I may or may not get around to using.

I truly hope they consider keeping the option open for guests to choose all-inclusive or NOT.

perchy, Have a wonderful honeymoon at the Jalousie! It is lovely just as it is....

They are first working on and completing the cottage rooms in the 900's, 800's and 700's before they will move on to the other lower sections. Then there are plans to add additional rooms semi-beach and ocean front. I would suspect that these rooms and constrution won't get started before 2007.

I do believe I read a trip review on tripadvisor of a guest that said they stayed in a cottage room that had been recently renovated. You may want to request a newly renovated cottage room if some are available already.

Flowers

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Here is the Sun Swept resorts jump page to their resorts in St.Lucia.

http://www.sunsweptresorts.com/content/429.htm

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Thanks sailor/Flowers.

I found this on the Jalousie web site (DUH!):

"The Jalousie Plantation, which includes the resort and beach area, spreading over 192 acres, is a development that will remain sensitive to the environment from which it draws its energy. Each villa has unique characteristics that highlight individuality within clusters. While each cluster has a similar footprint, each has unique features. Presently, refurbishment work is ongoing. Villas in an area called The Coffee Bean Bend are already being completely renovated and due to be completed at the end of July 2006. The expectation is that the earliest completion of the Villas in the Passion Fruit Hamlet and Papaya Patch clusters is November 2006. The remaining Villas will be completed after the 2007 winter season."

So based on what you are saying, the upper villas are Coffee Bean Bend?

I am in the process of reading every single review posted at TripAdvisor from May 2005 through the transition from Hilton to SunSwept.

starrsville, some former Hilton stayers are not happy with the changes. At least they weren't during the initial changeover. (I'm still reading.)

A couple of TripAdvisor posters recommended their ocean view villa "108." In part cuz it is close to everything and because it is private. I am considering requesting this specific villa... part of me wants to be surprised.

I can't decide if we'd like higher up better (newer could be a bonus) or closer to everything better... (which is why I'm just inclined to be surprised and take what we get).

We are doing a modified American meal plan, which is breakfast and dinner. No lunch, but also (I am just learning) no drinks either, alcoholic or otherwise! I wonder if we should upgrade... it is sounding very expensive to eat there, and any savings eating elsewhere is lost with taxi fare.

Oh decisions, decisions...

(Anybody here post a Jalousie review at TA? Cuz I'm probably reading it. lol)
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM

900s Coffee Bean Bend
800s Passion Fruit Hamlet
700s Papaya Patch
600s Star Fruit Way
500s Ginger Lily Walk
400s Orange Blossom Hill
300s Banana Tree Grove
200s Tamarind Turn
100s Coconut Cove

I do think that anyone that stayed there as the Jalousie Hilton, like we did, will have a very emotional response to seeing changes made to this resort.

Flowers
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 01:59 PM

Addressing perchy's question,

We were in St. Lucia in 2000 and are dying to go back. I think the villa you choose depends on how close you want to be to the ocean/pool etc in terms of walking distance - though all are very private. The higher up villas are more secluded and have higher views of the Pitons. At that time the hotel had a golf cart service they used to bring guests to the resturants onsite and the beach, etc.

We actually stayed across town at the Mago Estate and came and used the beach/restuarants there most days for a fee. No beaches in St. Lucia are purely private as a matter of law. We even considered moving over to the Hilton because we liked it so much!

We really liked the food there from the reaturants on site and ate lunch at the place close to the beach every day. The food was excellent and hospitality great, expect to pay Hilton resort prices for food and other items.

If you don't have a car, going into Souffriere is an adventure and not close. There were a couple places back then downtown to eat that were relatively inexpensive - 20 US for 3 course meal and wine. We rented a car from a local businessman our hotel connected us with and drove all over the island, which was quite an adventure, but if you stay at the Jalousie you will not need to leave much.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM

Thanks, bb.

Our latest questions to ponder:

Whether to upgrade from our Modified American Plan which is Breakfast and Dinner only and doesn't include lunch or any beverages (not even juice or soda).

Also, whether to take the helicopter transfer. I've read your luggage goes without you (or vice versa) and I wonder how safe that is... Or should we just do a helicopter tour from the hotel?

Looking forward to writing an extensive trip report... lol
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM

hi, perchy--

It's hard to advise you on adding the lunch plan or not. What is the difference in cost? Lunch is the least expensive meal Jalousie offers, so you may well come out ahead by not getting it, especially if no beverages are included with the meal plan. As I recall, coffee and tea were included with the cost of the breakfast buffet, and a juice selection was actually a part of the buffet, so for breakfast at least you should be all set.

We took the helicopter transfer. On the way to the hotel our luggage was with us, but on the way to the airport it went separately. I don't recall exactly, but I think it was waiting for us with a Jalousie rep at the airport--there was no wait at all for it. But when the airline counter asked if our bags had been under control since we packed them, we automatically answered yes. It was only later I realized I had inadvertently told a falsehood. Those were in the pre-911 days.

Don't know if you're a FF mileage junky or not, but be sure to ask if Jalousie still participates in any airline programs now that it is no longer part of the Hilton company. They probably don't, but it's worth asking.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks, ej. It's going to cost an addition $650 for 5 days worth of drinks and lunches. I read on the TA board the daily lunch buffet is $40 pp! I guess it doesn't add up to $650 (more like $400), and I imagine we may not do the buffett every day if we have to pay out of pocket.

For a honeymoon, this is a real treat. We wouldn't spend like this for "just a vacation." (We just don't have the funds.) I'm thinking an $80 lunch would cause sticker shock vs. paying the $650 and trying not to think about it. lol.

But saving money is saving money, too.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Hmm, I think things must have changed since my visit there in 2001. I don't recall that a lunch buffet offered except on the Beach BBQ day, which we didn't partake of, so I can't recall how expensive it was. Our lunches were mostly sandwiches and salads, and I don't think anything cost more than $15 per person back then.

Even though you might spend less money by not doing the AI plan, I think you're right that the sticker shock of prices might keep you from fully enjoying yourselves on your honeymoon. Honeymoon or not, I sure would be thinking twice about a $40 pp lunch every day, not including drinks!

You'll have a wonderful time no matter which option you choose, and I can't wait to hear all about it upon your return!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Reading the Trip Advisor reviews, it sounds like Jalousie bought The Bang?! If so, that'd make 5 restaurants for the property.