Reload this Page >

Jalousie Hilton - St. Lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 1998, 05:55 PM
Dave Kelly

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? If so, how was it? If price is not a serious problem, is there a better place to stay? <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 05:18 AM
Lara

<BR>When we were in St. Lucia recently, we heard comments from visitors about how Jalousie was fine, but Hilton was still working the kinks out with service, food quality, etc. If your trip is later in 1998, Jalousie might be a good choice at that time. <BR> <BR>We stayed at LeSport and were told by the locals that it is considered one of St. Lucia's nicest resorts. We had a difficult time deciding between LeSport and Jalousie, particularly since Jalousie is running some good incentives and the price was much lower than LeSport's. <BR> <BR>If you need more info, there were some recent postings on Jalousie on the rec.travel.caribbean newsgroup.

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 08:57 AM
kate

We stayed at the Wyndham Morgan Bay and adored it (just got back 2 days ago). Very affordable in the summer. The food was great, the bar was great, the staff...I could go on and on. Anyway, we toured near the Pitons, which is where Jalousie is located. The chef at Wyndham (who is unbelievable, trained in France, a St. Lucian native) used to work at Jalousie, I believe....but we spoke to him and were discussing Le Sport (which is not supposed to have the best food!). He told us...well, he kind of shook his head and told us we wouldn't want to stay there, it wasn't the best place to go. He's a local, so maybe he knows something, or knows people who work there??? In any case, I've heard good things too. But keep in mind where you want to be on St. Lucia: the Jalousie is way, way down. We stayed near Castries, the capital, up north. Lots to do, lots of places to go for food, shopping, local stuff. Also consider flying into the airport near where you'll be. We were 10 minutes from the small airport up north. However, the international airport down south is supposedly surrounded by horrible unpaved roads. I'd definitely stay up north, although we did tour by boat and visit a lot down near Soufriere. Good luck!

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 09:45 AM
kelly

Will let you know in two weeks! Looks great, plus we are paying about $2500 less than at a less comparable all-inclusive. Jalousie has advertised movie screenings, day trips, patios classes, horseback riding... I doubt you will want to leave much. Plus, it has its own helicopter pad, so for a little extra you don't have to suffer the drive from the airport. <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 1998, 08:56 AM
kelly

Just got back yesterday. It was absolutely WONDERFUL!! We will return every year. We rode out the hurricane in San Juan (Thanks to American Eagles fabulous planning) and were there until Thursday, and the Hilton made up for all of that and more. <BR> <BR>The food is excellent (but hotel expensive, I would guess we spent about $150 per day for the two of us). Service is flawless, the rooms are wonderful, spa beautiful, I cannot say enough. <BR> <BR>I will say, it was 5 star all the way and elegant, but I noticed after we left. At no time did it feel stuffy, did anyone make you feel inferior, or were we uncomfortable. <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 11:27 AM
Lisa

<BR>What is the beach like at Jalousie? I read recently that it was man-made - any truth to the rumor?!

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 01:04 PM
Kelly

I do not know if the beach was manmade, I would guess not. The resort was place in between the landmark "Piton" mountains that was a park. The beach is white sand, closest to the grand piton mountain. Snorkeling is great, the beach is beautiful. Part of the reef is roped off from boats. I think the beach may have been built in the sense they removed the pebbles and built barriers around the edges for landscaping. <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 01:41 PM
Ron

When I was there 3 years ago, before it was owned by Hilton, there was no white sand. The beach was a fine gray gravel, comfortable enough to walk on, but not something you'd want to bury yourself on. So I guess the white sand was brought in. But the setting is just so spectacular, that we're returning in December, white sand or not!