It's down to two islands

Search

It's down to two islands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's down to two islands

My wife and i have narrowed our choice for a november vacation to two islands. Those two are the cayman islands and St. martin. I favor the grand cayman as my wife favors st. martin. We both are looking for a great beaches,shopping,and food without breaking the bank. We priced them both out and find that it is cheaper to stay in st. martin but not by much. I keep reading posts that the cayman can be a bit pricey to eat and do other activites. Hopefully someone can help us out with a few things.

1. Has anyone stayed at the divi or Sonesta great bay?? If so how was the hotel,pool,food,beaches, etc.

2. We have looked at the coutyard marriot in the cayman and have found that it's a bit more to stay there than the other two mentioned. However is it a great place to stay?? Are the beaches better there and how is the food prices??

Thanks to all who take time to read this and help us pick a great vacation..
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM

While it's possible to do visit almost any island "without breaking the bank" you are going to find that will be significantly harder to do on Grand Cayman than on ST. Martin. Grand Cayman is one of the more expensive destinations in the Caribbean so bring your wallet, credit cards and, above all, MONEY. FYI - You'll also have more dining opportunities in all price ranges, on St. Martin than on Grand Cayman.

Topographically the islands are very different - Grand Cayman is relatively flat and arid with the major beach being a very long, hence the name 7 Mile Beach. St. Martin is hilly, somewhat lush with lots of smaller cove like beaches. You'll have more shopping opportunities on St. Martin.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I'm going to jump in here with my two cents. I've been to both islands and I MUCH prefer Cayman to St. Martin.
We find St. Martin to be too fast paced. There is traffic everywhere and just crazy drivers. It's not that clean and the last time we were there the people weren't very nice.
Cayman is much more laid back and 7 mile beach is gorgeous. The people are very nice too. Food is going to be expensive on any island-and there are cheaper options you can find in Cayman.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

If there are cheaper options then please post especially if you have been to the island as we don't know much about them except from what we read.

thanks
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 02:24 PM

I have only visited St. Martin on a day trip from Anguilla and am planning my first trip to Grand Cayman for December.

After a lot of research (and because I wanted to keep to a reasonable budget, I chose the Courtyard Marriott in Grand Cayman, but my expectations for it are along the lines of a decent Courtyard in the US. I'm not expecting it to be "great" but obviously that is subjective. I think that the part of SMB where the Courtyard is located is supposed to be pretty nice (wide, not rocky) and a little less crowded, which is an important consideration for me.

I found this link that provides a lot of good information about dining choices and prices (see the sample menus and links) in Grand Cayman: http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/ - dining and entertainment guide. Keep in mind that most of the prices in restaurants are in Cayman Island $, and that USD are worth less ($1 CI = $1.25 US). So, you need to multiply the menu price by 1.25 to get the US cost (i.e., an item listed for $16 on the menu is $20 US).

If you are concerned about the cost of dining out all the time, you can save a lot of money by bringing some food from home, and/or buying things at the grocery store there to allow you to have some less expensive meals. Also, there are fast food places, other casual places offering takeout, and grocery store prepared items that you can buy less expensively and eat in, or as a picnic. I bring mostly non-perishable snack foods as a matter of personal preference, because I don't really like to eat large breakfasts or lunches or eat these meals at the times others do. Also, I don't want to waste valuable beach time in a restuarant. If you have a refrigerator, you also can save money by bringing your own drinks to the beach. The Courtyard has mini refrigerators. Another similarly priced hotel, Sunshine Suites, has kitchenettes, as does the Grand Cayman Beach Suites (more expensive, it used to be a Hyatt). Condos also are another option that some people prefer for the extra space and kitchen facilities.

Regarding SXM, I also have read a lot of trip reports about St. Martin (French side) dining costs being high for Americans because of the low value of USD relative to Euros, so that may be something to consider, assuming you are from the US.

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM

If $$$ are a concern, then you are probably better off going to St. Martin which also has the edge with regard to shopping and eating. I have been to SXM three times and Grand Cayman once. I would definitely go back to SXM not so much to GC.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:23 AM

It depends on what you like. St. Maarten is defintiely fast paced, but there are many quiet places too. There is no place better for good dining.
And there is lots to see and do on St.
Maarten.

Regarding st. Maarten hotels, both hotels are nice.but I would recommend Divi Little bay over Great Bay.
Do not take a food plan at either hotel however. eating at hotels on st. Maarten is not the way to go.. there are simply too many other dining possibilities all over the island.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Great reply my wife and i were just talking about wheter to do the AI and have read that the food isn't that good at the hotel.. Are there other rest. close by to the hotels or do we need to rent a car??

thanks
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM

defintiely rent a car.
Divi is about a mile out of town. people do walk to town during the day but I would not recommend it at night.
There are some good restaurants in town and there are fabulous restaurants and beaches all over the island. With a car you can go to all of them.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
KVR

Just wanted to throw in that we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott when it was orginally a Holiday Inn and we thought it was fine. It's a standard hotel and not luxury in anyway. It has one resturant/bar on site and one across the street where the beach it located. There are no rooms with a balcony. We opted for a first floor room that opened to the pool. Our room had a small frig. At that time, the HI offered an AI plan and we loved it. We enjoyed the food and the convenience. We had to sign for everything and then they removed the charges from our account at check-out. It came to $1,400+ for a 6 night stay.

I understand that one of the Marriott's started recently offering an AI plan, but not for sure which one. I would difinitley check it out. We've been to Grand Cayman twice and love 7 Mile Beach. One of the better beaches we've been to, but outside a decent priced AI, it's just out of our price range now. St. Martin has never made our "to go" list. We prefer Mexico. Most bang for the buck and really great AI hotels.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 04:51 AM
JYD

Go to http://www.everythingstmaarten.com/
and you can do extensive research on Saint Marteen. We have stayed there for a week and had a fabulous time. The restaurants are outstanding. Shopping is good on the french side. Beaches are outstanding. We will definitely go back there. I have no desire to go back to Cayman. Yes, there is some traffic, but at certain times of day, not all the time.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM

This is a request for information. Plan on going to the Caribbean in March and staying in a really nice condo (two bedrooms--three beds, 2 baths overlooking the water, etc.) Am seeking possible condos available one week during March 2009. Seeking fair price, excellent accommodations. Father and two grown sons. Please reply. Could be St. Martin or similar.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM

JYD
You say shopping is good on the French side.
I beg to differ a little bit. There is nice shopping in Marigot but with the Euro rate now it is harder to find bargains. Front street in philipsburg has many more stores and opportunities for better deals IMHO, although any European products are much more expensive these days.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM

We have been to both SM and Caymans. Other postings have been pretty accurate about SM. We stayed in SM for weeks (lived aboard our sailboat there). We loved the French side and food there is great. Yes the Euro vs Dollar isn't great but we talked with some friends that said some places recently were offering 1/1 exchange rates! The beaches are widely varied and there's much to do on SM. Yes, it's a Caribbean island and not the cleanest everywhere but the French town of Marigot is really quite enjoyable.

Be sure to take the ferry from Marigot to the island of Saba while there. This island is really a very beautiful and special place! Be prepared to walk some hills while there.

Check all of the areas you might go to by using Google Earth and "flying" around them. This will give you great views of the topography.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:35 AM

I don't know a thing about St. Martin's or the Cayman Islands...yet! But I do know about ARUBA....Some of the "best beaches" in the Carabbean. So many great and good restaurant's at very reasonable prices. Shopping is super, the people are wonderful and La Cabana Beach Resorts is the BEST because you won't go bankrupt staying there. 4 trips there so far and am looking forward to 5 next year. Bus transportation is cheap and taxi's are reasonable. It's one very happy island.
Ed
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM

I'd skip both of them and go to Saba which is located about 20 miles from St. Maarten. It is less expensive, not commercialized, very quiet and a real get away. We went to St. Maarten this Spring with intentions of spending most of our time there and a little time on Saba. We ended up doing the reverse and can't wait to visit Saba again.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM

Having visited St. Martin this winter and Grand Cayman about 10 years ago, I have to say a choice is no contest. I would never return to St. Martin for any reason whatsoever. We had a car, so we were able to tour around daily. The traffic and roads were terrible and the developed areas were mainly seedy and/or dirty. The food was mediocre at best. The beaches were mainly busy, and the snorkeling everywhere was disappointing. While there is abundant shopping, most of it is junky. On the other hand, Grand Cayman food was great everywhere from the cheapest to the most expensive places. It IS possible to eat there for not much money. For example, there was a roasted chicken place on the beach road that had great chicken and sides for very little money. The shopping is more spread out than on St. Martin, but I found it to be much nicer. The snorkeling was outstanding. Looking at various resorts, it appeared that the ones not so highly rated were often very nice, just not containing some ammenities such as restaurants. We also felt a lot safer on Grand Cayman. And there was more to see. I guess if all one wants to do is relax on a beach, either is fine, but for everything else, Cayman wins hands down.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM

we visited st maarten and stayed at a hotel (which also sold condos and I believe is moving towards total conversion) on Great Bay. It was just between the town and Divi -- we walked over to check the grounds at Divi and found it very pleasant though quite spread out (did not give a crowded feeling). You can leisuely and very easily walk to town, and even extend the walk towards the cruise ship area. We found walking around the town not to be a problem, just be confident and cautious like anywhere -- but we did this only during the daylight hours. Even though we had a an all inclusive plan we love to soak in the local atmosphere and often went into town for drinks and lite fare and at the town beach area sat on patios and 'people watched'. We even took the local bus system to see the planes arriving low overhead over the beach area (twice!! A must do, sipping beverages at the beach bar) -- what a hoot -- like converted volkswagen minivans -- and you pay by the distance when you get off. Very friendly drivers and locals taking it - - check with your hotel for the stops... not well marked. Lots of shopping,(yes expensive Euros on French side), everywhere and take side trips to see the whole island and even catamarans around the islands.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM

ginnyfrye-
Your take is dead on. I couldn't agree more with everything you said. We have to fly into St. Martin every year on our way to Anguilla, and quite frankly we can't get off the island fast enough. What you said is very, very true.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM

While I'm by no means a St. Martin apologist, and while I disliked it so much on my honeymoon in 1989 that I didn't go back again until 2007, I would say that -- despite it's shortcomings -- I'd pick St. Martin over Grand Cayman (which I also visited in 2007) any day. In fact, I even went back to SXM in 2008 for 3 days, after a 5 day stay in Anguilla.

It really does depend on what you like, and -- especially for St. Martin -- where you stay.

For me, getting away is about going somewhere that is different from home. My principal complaint about SXM the first time around was that while it had nice beaches, it also had congestion, traffic, chain restaurants and crowds. The next two times, we stayed in the village of Grand Case on the French side, and what a huge difference that made. We felt as much in the Caribbean (the real Caribbean, and not the cruise ship port wonderland) as the Mediterranean. We stayed in an exquisite little hotel (Le Petit) on a pretty beach, surrounded by green hills. We ate out every night and had AMAZING meals (ginnyfrye, did you get to Grand Case? No one I know who's ever eaten there has complained about anything but, perhaps, the price). You can spend $$$$ for meals in Grand Case, but you can also spend very little at the lolos and more casual places. Everyone spoke French, but they appreciated our good faith efforts to communicate in tortured Franglish. I did some targeted shopping in Marigot for French stuff (Chanel, Longchamp, L'Occitane) and was -- at least as of March 2008 -- given a rate of $1/1 Euro, which was a nice savings. So, while the island as a whole is not necessarily our cup of tea, we found a little corner of it that gave us something worth returning to.

As for Grand Cayman, part of what attracts many other people to it (it's clean, safe, familiar) is what is not appealing to me. We stayed in a nice hotel, on the beach, and got around by rental car. We didn't eat at any US chains. But I just didn't feel like I got away from it all. And that sort of familiarity comes at a price (though I'm certain you can avoid paying it).

When you plan your trip, don't let cost be the deciding factor. A creative and interpid traveler can find something that will please them at the budget they've set. But do ask yourself what you really want out of your trip, and choose on that basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -