Search

Islands near St. Lucia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Islands near St. Lucia

Has anyone visited St. Lucia and then visited any nearby islands?
We are planning our honeymoon to stay a week in St. Lucia and I am looking for nearby islans to stay for our second week.
Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!!
thank you!
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:33 AM

There's a high speed ferry connecting St. Lucia and Martinique. Everything else you would have to fly on a regional carrier. But because the smaller carriers do such a comprehensive job with covering the Eastern Caribbean, you really wouldn't have to pick a neighboring island for your second week. Check out the LIAT website--when I booked some interisland flights among Barbados, St. Vincent, and Grenada, the flights were very cheap--something like US $33 plus taxes each way.

Tell us what your interests might be so that we can make suggestions for your second week. St. Lucia is very lush and mountainous and beautiful. Would you prefer something similar, or something quite different? Grenada and St. Vincent might offer you a similar terrain, with Grenada getting the edge for better beaches and Vincy getting the edge for less development.

If you want something very different without having to travel far from St. Lucia, Barbados might be a good way for you to go. It's got a heavy British influence, some gorgeous beaches, fine dining, and it's more of a low-lying coral island.

Or maybe something in between, like Bequia in the Grenadines. It's a tiny island that is very hilly and with a number of beautiful beaches. Everyone seems to know everybody else, and of the islands I've visited, it had the most international mix of visitors which I found very appealing. The island is by turns pretty lush or somewhat arid, depending on the season. If you're very active, you could walk almost anywhere on the island. Or you could choose to take a taxi or the dollar bus everywhere. It's really quite lovely.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM

For our 20th. anniversary, we went to St. Lucia for a few days (easier to fly there - I'm the nervous type), took a plane to Dominica on Star Caribbean (though there is also a ferry), and just loved it. Very lush and mountainous, with some thermal features, great hiking (the Boiling Lake!), and lovely waterfalls. We also enjoyed kayaking and snorkeling at Champagne beach and Scotts Point.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:32 AM

I had not read that there was ferry service between St. Lucia and Dominica. Good to know--thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. For the second week, somewhere nice and relaxing with good beaches and nice dining would be wonderful. Good to know about the inter island transport options and thank you again!
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Bequia in the Grenadines might be just what you're looking for. See the post by ejcrowe. She has captured much of the essence of Bequia.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM

The post I referred to is her 2 weeks SVG, Bequia and Grenada.