Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Island that can be reached from northeast US on big plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two in our family of 4 (parents, 2 teenagers) will not willingly get on small prop plane - prefer something at least 60-100 seats. Other than Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Nassau, looking for island reachable by big plane - looking to spend about 5 days, preferably with something interesting to see when we tire of beach and water sports. Not interested in all-inclusives. We understand some of the most beautiful places would be impossible with this limitation - just looking for any other suggestions. Thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:25 AM

St. Maarten/St. Martin can be reached by jet directly from several US cities including Miami, NYC and Raleigh/Durham.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:39 AM
Sunnyboy

Depending on where your are originating from all of the following destinations can be reached by large jet directly from one or more of the major US hubs: Provo (in the Turks & Caicos), St. Martin, Antigua, Aruba (also probably Bonaire & Cauracao), St. Lucia, Grenada, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Barbados, Trinadad, Jamacia, Nassau (I'm not a travel agent so I may have massed one or two others).

Not all of these islands have daily flights and not all are available from every major hub - you might have to route yourself through New York, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale or San Juan (check with your travel agent, the airline web-sites or one of the on-line booking sites such as Travelocity or Expedia for schedules and dates).

Also, as a point of information American Eagle, Liat, Carribean Sun, Caribbean Star fly ATR's or Dash 8's between the major islands and the smaller ones. These are twin turbo prop planes which hold between 40 and 72 passengers. If these are not too small for you it will open up even more possibilities.

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:01 AM
scs

Don't forget about Bermuda! It is a really quick trip from the northeast - 2 hours.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:06 AM
Jed

Look for the thread, "nonstop from Philly".
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:14 AM

Conact a local travel agent and find out what options are available. They would probably have the most updated info for your area.

Also check with some of the online travel agencies like www.libertytravel.com.

Call any of the large airlines and ask what islands they service and what equipment is used to get there.

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:25 AM

I won't get on a prop either! If you are flying out of Boston, you can book a charter through GWV or TNT for a direct flight to just about any of the Caribbean destinations. We have flown directly to Provo, Turks & Caicos, Aruba, Jamaica and Cancun, Mexico all on charter, and all through GWV. I
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:43 AM

You can also get to Grand Cayman on a jet, usually having to transfer in Miami first.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:46 AM

Old Prejudices and Misconceptions sure to hang around and die hard.

Today's MODERN turboprop aircraft is absolutely as safe and comfortable as any commuter "jet" or big "jet".

Both use virtually IDENTICAL engines, a turbine engine. In the case of what we refer to as a "jet", the engine drives a ducted fan (high by-pass) that pushes the air rearward to provide thrust. In the case of the turboprop, the turbine engine drives a gearbox with a propeller on it.
The turbine engine with either of these two thrust systems have identical MTBF numbers (mean time between failure). In other words, the chances of a problem are the same.
With modern NVS systems (anti-noise and vibration systems) such as on the Dash-8 Q300 or Q400, interior cabin comfort is airliner quality, if that term could be used. And a modern turboprop also achieves better than a 30% higher fuel efficiency than the jet because of the inherent efficiencies of today's modern propeller design. Take a close look at the Q400 Dash-8 propeller design and note the SIX Scimitar shaped composite blades. Hardly old-fashioned. On stage lengths of up to 600 nautical miles, the modern turboprop is a cost saving, and just as fast alternative for an airline to use.

People do remember the days of the old PISTON powered prop planes and continue to assume that today's modern turboprop has the same noise/vibration and reliabiliity problems. We want low-cost fares but also want the airlines to fly the higher cost (initial and operating) equipment because of past misconceptions.

As for me, I'll get on a Dash-8 or ATR without any qualms at all.

Steve

p.s. And yes, to set the record straight, I am a pilot and used to work for an aircraft manufacturer.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:04 AM

Continental flies direct to Grand Cayman from Newark. Nice, safe island. I wouldn't suggest St Martin/Maarten for teenagers -- too much crime.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:12 AM

Add the Dominican Republic to the list of places that can be reached from many points on the East Coast without getting on a small plane. Also, among the not-as-accessible destinations, Vieques and Culebra can be reached by flying to San Juan, driving to Fajardo, and taking a ferry from there.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:30 AM
cdt

Interesting post by Steve/Canuck.

I'll happily fly on everything (including the Goose from St. Croix to St. Thomas) but my spouse hates anything with a propeller.

In our area (flying out of Albany NY) many of the turbo-props are being replaced by small regional jets (e.g. the 50-seat Canadair). This pleases customers like my spouse and they're allegedly economical for the airlines.

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions - we certainly are willing to connect somewhere (originating in Boston).

As for comments on relative safety of small planes - I have no disagreement. But as with many things in life, dislikes and fears are not always rational. What we are trying to really avoid is those small 16 seater planes that feel like Flintstone-mobiles. (Last flight on one of those was JFK to Boston in a windstorm)
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:18 AM

If you take an early flight out of Logan to San Juan, you can catch the early afternoon flight (1:30ish) on American Airlines to Antigua on a 737. Antigua is large enough to offer both touristy and off the beaten path options. If you want to be where the action is, stick with Dicksinson and Runaway bay areas. If you want gorgeous beach with quiet atmosphere and money is no object, check out Jumby Bay, Galley Bay, or Curtain Bluff. If you want an AI that doesn't feel soulless, check out Cocobay resort on west coast. If you'd like an old-fashioned family-owned resort with nice blend of activities and quieter pursuits, check out Long Bay Hotel on the east coast. (It's my personal fave for mid-range hotels.) Reasonable rates, very good food, old-time Caribbean charm.

Antigua has moderate shopping available in st. John's, the capital. There's also Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbor for a bit of history. Sunday nights for sunset on Shirley's Heights are filled with BBQ and local musicians--if you linger after sunset, many tourists depart and locals show up.
Depending on the time of year you're there, there's a nifty little Italian restaurant/art gallery on the east coast called Harmony Hall--it also offers boat transfers to an offshore island for good snorkeling.

Wherever you go, have fun!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:00 AM

As noted before for Cayman you can get there non-stop from Newark, but from Boston you can get a morning flight to Miami and connect on the one hour flight to Cayman and be on the beach by mid afternoon.

Cayman will also soon start non-stop service from Chicago, and rumour has it that by next summer Boston will be the next non-stop
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 03:32 AM

Check out what GWV or TNTare offering.., At this point they maybe "sharing" destinations..Meaning if your heading to one place...the plane makes a stop at probably Aniqua or the Turks..We are big Dominican Republic fans.. Then again.. have you throught about takng the NCL Dawn from NYC....it races down the coast to the warm weather..
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:50 AM

American Eagle uses turbo-props w/i the seat capacity you noted and that puts practically the whole Carib. w/i reach from a major like San Juan.