Island for my friend :)

Jan 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Island for my friend :)

Hi everyone,

You all have been so helpful in my search for which island to go to for my 30th birthday (probably t&c!), and now I would LOVE it if you could help out my partner teacher! She hasn't been on a tropical vacation since her honeymoon in St. Martin thirteen years ago...here is what she wrote to me about what she is looking for:
isolation/privacy
don't want any night-life..we want to be alone
great beaches to read
shallow water to snorkel
maybe trails or beaches for running/hiking
might even do a very slow river canoe or kayak

she also said this:
we would love to go and stay on anguilla but I think it's pretty pricey

What would your recommendation be for islands and accommodations? She is looking to go in mid to late April for 5 nights/6 days, and I don't think she wants to spend more than $5000 for everything. She would be flying out of Phoenix, Arizona.

She was also considering Belize, like I was, but is also afraid about things she read about the crime. However, I have learned, from these forums, that the crime isn't all that bad there.

We are both going back to work tomorrow (after our winter break) and I'd love to bring her some great ideas! You input is valued and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Jan 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Perhaps North or Middle Caicos may be worth looking into. Both islands are an easy 10 minute or so commuter flight from Providenciales and both offer the seclusion, beautiful beaches, snorkeling, and nature trails your friend desires. Each island has a small number of inns and restaurants, North Caicos offering more than Middle Caicos.
Jan 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Laby! Your advice helped me out a great deal on my post, and I appreciate your advice for my friend! Sounds great!
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 9th, 2006, 06:04 AM

turks & caicos in the off season is outstanding. my fiance and i travelled there in september 2004 and we could not have asked for a better time to relax and unwind. he's not a *crowds* person at all, so we were just thrilled at not experiencing lines or wall to wall people anywhere we went. the best hotel on grand cayman is the westin - our ground level room was literally two steps from the beach. outstanding!
Jan 9th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Jackiehammond, as I thought further about your friend's interests, the relatively short duration of her vacation and the long distance she will be traveling to get to the Caribbean, I think that it might make more sense for her to stay at a hotel on Providenciales (Provo) rather than to take another flight to North or Middle Caicos. Her day will be long enough without having to consume even more time with the extra commute to and from the Caicos. Now, admittedly, it will not be nearly as isolated or private on Provo as it would be on North or Middle Caicos. But I think it makes sense to sacrifice a little on that front in order to have a more relaxing and less exhausting vacation.

I had earlier mentioned the Coral Gardens Hotel to you for its outstanding beach, great off-beach snorkeling and quiet atmosphere. I'd recommend the same to her. She won't find the trails and kayaking right there but the hotel can easily arrange for these activities, including a day trip to Middle Caicos.
Jan 9th, 2006, 07:06 AM

How about Harbour Island in the Bahamas? The most beautiful beach, not crowded, not big on nightlife, friendly people.
Jan 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

laby,

yes, coral gardens! that is probably where i'll end up going myself (maybe my friend, too!). i think t&c is a great recommendation. i just wish coral gardens had more "bungalow" type, more luxurious accommodations. maybe the pics don't do it justice??? the snorkeling and beach though sound and look AMAZING! thanks so much for your responses!!!

citygirlmk,
thanks for mentioned t&c! it must be beautiful...so many people like it! it sounds wonderful! thanks for the info about grand cayman, too. i'll have her check it out.

ccrosner,
thanks for your post! i'm sure she never thought about harbour island. cool!

thanks so much to all of you! i emailed my friend with all of your recommendations. your input is valued!

more thoughts, anyone???

Jan 10th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

ttt one more time.
Jan 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM

jackie,

if you want to snorkel then Coral Gardens is the best place to stay - we stayed there last August.

If snorkeling is a 4/5th choice then perhaps not - Also T&C isn't tropical, how do you think your friend would like Jamaica?

Idle Awhile in Negril - wonderful beach, quiet resort (owned by the same company as Couple Swept Away so you can use their sport facilities), night life if you want to find it, good restaurants within easy reach along the beach (no taxis)

And Jamaica Inn, the only place I would do AI, the food was AMAZING, private beach and very quiet, wonderful accomodations - both of these resorts get good reviews on this board and have many posters that will give advice.

Any questions?
Jan 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks, alya! i will let her know. i didn't really think of jamaica, so thanks for the info!
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM

I like Bonaire, which is below the hurriane belt. It's probably the best place to go for diving and snorkeling in the Carribeans. Belize is nice too; less expensive than Bonaire and other Caribbean islands. The crime is not a big issue.

http://uniqueplaces.blogspot.com
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks, alana! bonaire does look beautiful!