Island Advice

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 07:53 PM
James

Island Advice

I am looking for an island with both great beaches and interesting culture for a February 2001 holiday. Suggestions for a moderately priced island would be appreciated!!!!

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 02:12 PM
RichF

For your criteria - beaches, price and culture (history, music & food). <BR> <BR>1. Jamaica (Negril) - one of the top beaches, safe, price, culture, food, music & nature (day trip to YS falls or Dunns River Falls. <BR>2. Peurto Rico - cheap airfare, culture. <BR>3. Barbados - small island, culture, nice beaches.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 08:46 PM
Keely

Someone suggested Isla Mujeres in Mexico to a reader with a similar question. <BR> <BR>Heard interesting things about Cat Island in the Bahamas that made us want to go there, tho we haven't yet. Inexpensive. Short flight from Florida or Nassau. Magnificent beaches. Very unspoiled. Interesting resorts. Fernandez Bay hotel has stone cottages, no TVs, supposedly good food, and sounds like a true island escape. We wanted to stay there once but they were closed the week we were going. By the way, I think Sidney Poitier was born on Cat Island. <BR> <BR>A lot of the other Out Islands have very inexpensive resorts as well. You could also check out wheretostay.com - very easy to navigate and it's all Caribbean islands. <BR> <BR>I don't know how moderately priced Aruba is, but I read in a couple of places that it is one of the only islands with no history of slavery, and it shows in interesting ways in the culture. So that's something to explore, too. I know it has great beaches, and my folks told me that the breezes there are unlike anywhere else in the world - heavenly. <BR> <BR>Good luck in your searches!

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 07:03 PM
d motl

Isla Mujeres problably came from us . We do a 16 page home grown brouchure on the island and surrounds which we e-mail on request. We go to the island twice a year for 15 days and update it each time we return. <BR>dan and ginny <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Melissa

We stayed at Fernandez Bay on Cat Island, Bahamas last April. Very quiet and relaxing. Food is fine - nothing fancy though. Great bar to visit with other guests. Rooms are very comfortable and right on the beach. Beach is beautiful as is the water. The managers and employees were very kind and helpful. We enjoyed getting to know some of the islanders that work at Fernandez (very friendly and warm) - i recommend going into a church service on Sunday - a great cultural experience. If you are looking for a place where you will go to sleep early, eat well, nap, swim, kayak, read, fish then Fernandez is great. You really get away from it all (no phone or tvs in room) We felt totally refreshed after a week but might have enjoyed a little more night life. Moderate prices - oh, keep in mind that it might not be truly tropical in February - but i like it HOT and humid! Also consider St. John - maybe Maho Bay - a bit rustic, but my favorite island because of beaches, people, climate, huge undeveloped tracts of land.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 05:42 PM
Peggy

Melissa, <BR>Have looked at Fernandez Bay. Was the vegetation recovering from the last hurricane? Heard they were hit very hard. What cottage do you recommend there for the most privacy but good beach location? I have their brochure but it is hard to tell. Was it possible to shop at a store for Beer/wine/snacks to have as a convenience or was there other places to dine besides the resort? Thanks for any info. <BR>Peggy