Isla Mujeres?

Jul 5th, 1998, 09:56 AM
Jack

Isla Mujeres?

What are some of the best areas of the island? how is the snorkeling and are the dolphins that you can swim with safe?

Jul 7th, 1998, 12:54 PM
v

I took a ferry to Isla Mujeres from Cancun. It's a small island, my friends and I rented mopeds and covered the entire island in about 2 hours. There's a cool turtle farm there if you're into that sort of thing. We swam with nurse sharks, which was totally safe and free. The dolphin swim was very expensive so we didn't do that.

Jul 10th, 1998, 10:35 AM
Michelle

The best beach on the island is Playa Norte, about a five minute walk north (left) when you get off the ferry. The whole town is only about 8 blocks by 5 blocks, so it's easy to explore in an hour or two. A good way to spend the afternoon is the see the rest of the island. Mopeds run about $15 to $20 a day. We've done that several times, but finally opted for the golf cart ($42 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.). That was a much better choice, because of the shade, a place to store snorkeling gear, and the ability to take in the sites for a change (it's hard to ride a moped while you're looking at the ocean), etc. If you take the road out of town along the coast, you can stop at several beaches with bars/restaurants. At the end of the island, Garrafon Park has snorkeling, but there's not much to see as it's a dead reef. Continue around the island and you come to the lighthouse. Pretty picture opportunities behind it. Take the road on the backside of the island (no real beaches or swimming done here) until you end up back in town. For snorkeling go to the ferry pier and inquire about prices. For about $12 a person, they'll take you to three or four snorkeling sites and feed you fresh grilled fish on the beach for lunch. The boats barely look seaworthy, but it's a good time and the price can't be beat (and there's no other way to reach snorkel sites). Sorry to ramble. If you need more info, e-mail me. I've been to Cancun/Isla/Cozumel nine times.

Jul 10th, 1998, 03:38 PM
Michelle

I visit Isla every time I go to Cancun...but unlike the others, I always go via catamaran day-trip (which is lots & lots of fun). However, you do not get to spend the whole day there...you go snorkeling for about an hour, then to lunch and then can wander the streets on your own for about 2-3 hours. We had lunch outside the dolphin habitat. I am usually leary of the care and containment of dolphins, especially in foreign countries, but I have to say, these dolphins appeared to be healthy and have a nice tank and "real" trainers that seemed to truely care about the animals. If I had the money at the time, I wouldn't have hesitated to swim with them. Wow - what an experience! You have to get on the list days in advance, so I've heard!

Jul 10th, 1998, 05:52 PM
debbie

The dolphin swim is very safe and astounding! Would highly recommend it! Must book ahead.

Jul 11th, 1998, 05:30 PM
bob

The dolphins are probably hoping that humans are safe for them.