Search

Is wind a big problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 09:16 AM
june

Is wind a big problem?

We would like to try Aruba but have heard the wind can be a turn-off. Is it bad enough to avoid vacationing there?

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 09:30 AM
cleo

We just came back from Bonaire and the wind was UNBELIEVABLE!! People we met down there have been to Aruba and said it's just as windy. I wasn't a turn off but don't expect many good hair days!! Also, consider Bonaire over Aruba (depending on your interests - if it's diving go to Bonaire), that 's the opinions of many we talked to who have been to both. E-mail me directly if you want Bonaire info - we LOVED it. <BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 01:53 PM
karel

June, <BR> <BR>I wouldn't avoid Aruba because of the wind. There are so many beautiful sights and fun things to do that the wind will seem secondary once you get there.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 04:39 PM
Debbie

Hi June - Visited Curacao (island betweeen Aruba and Bonaire), and that too has trade winds blowing - nothing hurricane force, but enough to make you want to put your glasses on if you wear contacts, or wish you had extremely short hair that didn't need much combing because styling will last until you're outside of the hotel !! When we landed, even the pilot cautioned 'Hang on to your hats'!!! The trade winds provide a way to enjoy a vacation in the southern Caribbean (very near the equator) without the stiffeling heat/humidity in other areas. All in all, it's not that bad-certainly not a reason to avoid vacationing there. Curacao is less Americanized than Aruba-there aren't any long stretches of beaches (they're more like coves), nor hotel on top of hotel on top of hotel. We found plenty to do in the week that we were there (beach, touring, exploring) and not once in all that time were we 'approached' by either a time share seller or a vendor to buy anything. <BR> <BR>Have fun wherever you decide to go.

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 03:13 AM
Sara

The winds in Aruba are very much welcomed! From my experience, I find that it is windier in the low-rise area as opposed to the high-rise area. Check out: http://www.travelunlimited.com

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 12:09 PM
Karen

The wind in Aruba is Horrific ... it does vary according to the season but we found that during the winter, we needed to make a wind breaker out of some lounge chairs and towels or be literaly blasted by the blowing sand. (And we were told that it gets worse toward Spring!) It was probably one of the most uncomfortable beach vacations I had ever experienced. People choose to stay by the pool ... no sand there ... well, why go to a beach island to swim in a chlorinated puddle? Those Divi Divi trees are bent over for a reason!

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 03:37 PM
Linda

We were in Aruba in April. The wind helped break the intense heat. It was only an issue if you had an elaborate hairdo. I considered it a valid excuse to dispense with the daily blow dryer and curling iron.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 03:49 PM
Cheri

The wind was terrible when we were in Aruba. Walking on the beach it would kick up and you would get sandblasted. I don't remember the wind in Curacao. On Bonaire the wind wasn't bad, but when we walked on Klein Bonaire we got sandblasted again.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 03:56 PM
Karen

Wind a problem only if you had an "elaborate hairdo" ... I don't think so ... the sand blowing against you literally stings and HURTS ... it gets in your eyes, ears and all kinds of uncomfortable places. Sure it is hot ... and without the wind, might be hotter ... but you don't go to the Carrib to be cold do you?

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 06:51 PM
james

I just got back from Aruba and was a little concerned about the wind prior to the trip. I personally felt the wind was so much more of a plus than a minus. Now if you are going to play golf I would discourage that. The most enjoyable part of the trip for me was smoking a cigar in the lobby of the Hyatt, and what made so enjoyable was the tradewinds coming thru the lobby.

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 10:41 AM
jenny

Hi, <BR>I'll be in Aruba late Oct. Does anyone know if the wind is really bad then? Not that i really really care!!! It's going to be a great trip. I just want to be prepared. Are jackets necessary in the evening? Thanks, <BR>jenny

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 10:49 AM
Sherrie

June, <BR> <BR>My husband and I were in Aruba in July. The wind was welcomed. Without it, it really would be hot!! Just don't worry about a fancy hairdo. This was our second trip to Aruba. We loved it!!!

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 11:41 AM
Lee

June: If you don't like it windy, then maybe it's not for you. <BR> <BR>It isn't blustery. The wind is pretty steady at nearly 10 MPH, but is isn't cool. No jacket is needed unless it's specified as proper attire. The wind helps to cool you and has the advantage of not allowing any flying insects. There are virtually none on the island! Definite bonus. <BR> <BR>Temps are steady year-round. Upper 80's during the day and upper 70's at night with very low humidity. Leave the curling iron at home and enjoy!

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 09:02 AM
Linda

Do not listen to people who say that the wind is horrific. I have been to Aruba many times and yes it is quite windy, but it is so friendly and fun, with beautiful water and beaches, that the wind does not seem to matter. One time my friend sat up in her beach chair and the wind blew the back of the chair up and it hit her in the head. It did not hurt her (much) and we still laugh about it and that was 10 years ago. My boyfriend (who is extremely particular) absoolutely loved Aruba. He was used to tropical islands, but after seeing the clear water and eating the best food, he is convinced that Aruba is the best in the Caribbean. Aruba is a desert island with very little rainfall, there is never a bad time to go to Aruba! Have fun.