Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is the Beach at Sandals St.Lucia Public?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:28 AM
JIM

I heard that only part of the beach at Sandals St.Lucia Spa is open to the public. Is this tru or is the whole beach open to the public? Thanks

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:33 AM
Mary

ALL beaches in St. Lucia are public. But if you're not staying on the property, you might have to get there by boat--not sure about access rights.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:09 AM
Penney

agree with above post - they are all public. At Sandals Halcyon, just like Sandals Antigua, there is a white wall in the brouchure that shows where therre is a section that is private but it is very small.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:56 PM
Leslie

JIM, I stayed at Sandals St. Lucia last year and, though the beach is public, it was certainly not a problem. Actually, the only people I saw there outside of the resort guests were some children one day. Beach wasn't crowded at all. The sand is kind of a light tan and a medium grain. The water is deep green and deep blue and gets deep quickly. Sandals has its own boat to take you to the island's protected snorkelling area which is about 15 min. away by boat. It's a fun thing to do. Hope this helps!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
shawn

My husband and I went to Sandals St. Lucia last March (2001). It was our first time at a Sandals resort. The beach is public but we did not encounter many problems. Towards one end of the beach there were always some young local kids hanging out, but not causing trouble. It seemed as if towards the end of the day (maybe 3 - 6 pm)there were a few people trying to "sell" their goods. For most of the daytime hours, their was a Sandals employee keeping watch on the beach area. We were surprised Sandals management didn't have more control over the beach property. For the most part, the beach and the resort were safe but Sandals St. Lucia was not the most beautiful beach or resort in the Carribean that we have visited.