Kim

Is St. Lucia safe?

Very Safe, I never had a problem!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Mary

Ditto.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Robin

I have heard the contrary.. that it is NOT a friendly place, VERY pushy vendors, people "blocking" your path until you pay them money to be your "tour guide" has anyone experienced this

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 01:00 PM
anon

ST. Lucia is a very poor country. It also has a drug problem. No island is free from crime so NOWHERE can be absolutely safe KIM! Ditto Mary! I have been there and would not drive the woindy roads at night, etc. and definitly be street smart. Just because it is a tropical island people tend to relax and ignore common sense. Last year a couple were brutally beaten. Nuns murdered in the Cathedral in Castries. It is a beautiful lush island, go enjoy, but stay alert just like you would in any location.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Kay

Hi Kim: <BR> <BR>We were there for out honeymoon last summer and LOVED the island and people. But there like anywhere else use common sence in where you go and what you do. We just told the venders a firm no thank you and they left us alone. We nver went to a non-toust secluded place and watche dourt pockets just like at home. <BR>Go and have a wonderful time on such a beautiful island.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:11 AM
lisa

We never had any problems & felt safe when we were there. Vendors never hassled us.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:02 PM
joan

I've been to St. Lucia twice, and loved it! Last time was summer 99, we (husband and wife) rented a villa near Ladera Resort. Our rental agent warned us not to pick up hitchhikers, but we did anyway. DUH! Well, the guy took us way out of our way in a loop around soufriere, talking nonstop. Eventually he began telling us he was our guide and that we should pay him. We ousted him from our jeep near a resort (didn't want him to know where we were staying), after giving him $20EC just to shut him up. My husband almost socked him when he insisted we make it $20 US... all our fault! Let me emphasize, we never felt unsafe, just very stupid. All the other folks we met, from the gardener who shared his hot peppers, to the lady in the bakery who gave us hot bread, were wonderful people. I loved St. Lucia, would go back in "a new york minute"! I have yet to see a Carib island without some pushy vendors. As stated above, a firm "no" and avoiding further eye contact does the trick! <BR> <BR>Go, have fun, drink a Piton beer for us! <BR>Joan

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Beth

We didn't have any issues either. If you stay at a resort and do the guided tours, you are just fine. <BR> <BR>Once we went into Soufriere for the afternoon to have lunch - took a water taxi there and back - but while walking through the town, a child came up and offered us directions... We told him we knew where we were going, but of course he insisted on walking us there anyways, and then put out his hand... we gave him $1 and he was thrilled. <BR> <BR>It's just a poor island country, like anywhere else. Use your head and you will be just fine. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:03 AM
Virginia

I know for a fact of an English tourist who was attacked in her hotel room by a local man who had broken into her 2nd floor room. He raped and stabbed her and as yet hasn't been caught. She was very lucky to escape with her life.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Dee

Absolutely safe. My husband and I were there in February and I was concerned because it was shortly after the terrible incident in the Catholic church during mass. Our vacation was wonderful and the residents could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We can't wait to return.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Michelle

My husband and I just returned from St. Lucia on Friday and loved it. Simple common sense, such as you'd exercise in any place unknown to you, should keep you very safe. I'd echo many comments you see below. In general, the St. Lucian people are very friendly and welcoming. However, it is not a wealthy country and I'd discourage wearing a lot of jewelery (I put mine in the hotel safe) or carrying a lot of money you don't immediately need. Have fun and enjoy!