Is Anse Chastanet better than Pitons?

Feb 14th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Mary

Is Anse Chastanet better than Pitons?

Would you choose a day at Anse Chastanet for snorkeling and diving or a trip to the Pitons and Soufriere?

Feb 14th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Mary

Mary: Actually, one of the best views of the pitons is from the sea. Not much to see or do in Soufrierre. In fact, if I went again I'd avoid it like the plague.

The best snorkeling, I found anyway, is on the northwest end of Marigot Bay. I don't believe there are any organized tours; most likely because it's quite shallow and it could be damaged if one isn't careful. I wasn't real impressed with the snorkeling at AC.

BUT, the pitons is only about a 10 minute water taxi trip from AC. You could probably do both -- as long as you're going by water taxi. A "road" taxi would take much longer due to the winding roads, etc. Water and street taxis cost about the same. I'd take a water taxi over a road taxi any day.

Feb 14th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Mary

I should add that there is diving just below the pitons. Don't know how good it is though.

Feb 14th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Kim

The Pitons are beautiful, a sight not to miss in St.Lucia.

Feb 15th, 2002, 07:23 AM
kevin

Mary, Just got back from staying at ladera in-between the pitons. I highly recommend not only diving & snorkeling
at pitons but you must go to dasheene
restaraunt for sunset and dinner it is
absolutely breathtaking!

Mar 4th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Ashley

The snorkeling at Anse Chastanet is good but if you're going to Jalousie or staying there, it's just as good there. Also, the drive by car back to Anse is terrible. The beach is also black sand. I really didn't love the experience. The botanical gardens in Soufriere are worthwhile, and a hike up the Pitons would likely be a memorable experience; we didn't get around to that. "In toto" - skip Anse.

Mar 5th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Kay

Kevin:

How about a trip report! My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Ladera last year and loved it!!!

Mar 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
tracy

Stayed at the Hilton last summer - incredible vacation. I second the recommendation to have dinner at Dasheen. The manager's cocktail party is Monday night - free drinks before dinner and I highly recommend it! It was alot of fun. The snorkeling off the Hilton beach was alright - not the best - but I don't think that area is known for the snorkeling. I think the diving is probably better. The beach at the hilton is wonderful. Not crowded at all. Also - Soufreire is not much to see - but the Botanical Gardens are very pretty and I think it was worth it. The volcano was somewhat interesting too. Have a blast.

Mar 28th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Pat Thomas

I just came back from visiting ST. Lucia and in my opinion it is the most beautiful and friendly island in the Caribbean. The people were terrific and the food was very, very good. I stayed at the Hyatt which was under receivership and is due to be sold. It is an absolutely beautiful hotel, very well laid out and has fantastic oceanfront views from the rooms. We went to Jump Up at Gros Islet and enjoyed it very much, did not feel threatened and enjoyed the grilled chicken. We then went and stayed at Anse Chastanet which was wonderful. I loved the open concept of the rooms, and we had room 7A which had a perfect view of the pitons. The owners of the resort are terrific and the staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. The beach is fine,and the snorkeling is good, but I hear the diving is fabulous. They have a spa and a mountain biking concession on their 600 acres. It was filled with young 30 somethings and was a perfect
holiday. I definately will go back again and stay an Anse Chastanet, but for a longer time. There is so much natural to do in the southern part of the island that you need at least a week there.

Mar 29th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Lauren

Does anyone feel the Dasheene Restaurant at Ladera would be a nice place for a wedding? It's going to be for about 35 people; a sit-down dinner. Please let me know your thoughts or any other suggestions..Thanks!
Lauren

Mar 29th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Mary

I'm assuming you're not staying at Ladera because I don't think they would have enough room for all of you. I know they do weddings but I don't know if they'd do it if you're not staying there. Maybe for a price. But it is worth checking into because the grounds would be a beautiful setting for your wedding. I don't know how many the restaurant seats but I think your group would, for the most part, fill it up.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:27 PM
Betsy & Doug

this is for Pat Thomas: Pat, we are considering a 12 day stay at Anse Chastanet (or La Luna, Grenada). We can only afford the beach deluxe cottage. I have heard mostly good things, but a few negatives (mosquitos, worn out bed furnishings etc) Those things are not too big of a deal for us. Can you give me more details re: A.C. How long from the airport to AC (I hear the drive is the road from hell!!) Average prices for breakfast, dinner. (We would go with the MAP plan I think) What about cost of a beer or Pina Colada? Do you have any clue what it is like there at the end of September? I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to your reply. THANKS

Apr 4th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Tammy

We stayed at Anse Chastanet in Feb, first time. It was amazing. Some background... we are early 30s with two kids, so we were looking to get away a bit. AC is a bit off the path, but to us, it was perfect. We were easily able to taxi down to the Hilton for lunch and went into Soufriere and lots of side trips on the island.

What i loved the most: The rooms ( you mention you can only afford the beach - they *might* upgrade you when you get there if you play it really cool), the atmostphere (very European and relaxed - much much better than the Hilton which was loud Americans in tshirts). I loved the huts on the beach - my husband layed in a hammock all day one day, with people bringing him food and drink. Finally, the people and service were super, our every need was handled quickly and pleasantly.

On the Down: Food is very good, but not Great. If you want that, go to Ladera.

that's it. we were really impressed.

have a great time.
Tammy

Apr 4th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Tammy

We stayed at Anse Chastanet in Feb, first time. It was amazing. Some background... we are early 30s with two kids, so we were looking to get away a bit. AC is a bit off the path, but to us, it was perfect. We were easily able to taxi down to the Hilton for lunch and went into Soufriere and lots of side trips on the island.

What i loved the most: The rooms ( you mention you can only afford the beach - they *might* upgrade you when you get there if you play it really cool), the atmostphere (very European and relaxed - much much better than the Hilton which was loud Americans in tshirts). I loved the huts on the beach - my husband layed in a hammock all day one day, with people bringing him food and drink. Finally, the people and service were super, our every need was handled quickly and pleasantly.

On the Down: Food is very good, but not Great. If you want that, go to Ladera.

and by the way, if you stay up on the hill, you have the best view of the Pitons of anywhere on the Island. Since Ladera and Hilton are actually between the hills, the view is not the same.

that's it. we were really impressed.

have a great time.
Tammy