Reload this Page >

Info on charters with The Moorings?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Claire

Can anyone tell me about experiences with boat/yacht charters in the Caribeean (or anywhere else they charter) through The Moorings? <BR><BR>Did you charter bareboat or a crewed boat? How was the company's service? The crew? How was the boat? Provisioning services? I'd appreciate any comments about those things or the overall experience in general. <BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Eva

Claire, I've chartered with the Moorings a half dozen times, both crewed and bareboat, in the BVI, St. Lucia and Grenada. We've gone with boats from 35 feet (for just me and hubby) to 50 feet.<BR><BR>Moorings may be one of the more expensive charter companies, but, in my opinion, you get what you pay for. The boats are generally in first-class condition, ideally suited to their task. The customer service experience, from reservations to checking-out, goes without a hitch. Their crews (for crewed boats) are outstanding: personable, knowledgeable, entertaining, and GREAT chefs. (The only time I've ever really experienced a hiccup was on our last charter, but since I booked that -- from airfare to hotel to charter -- on less than 18 hours advance notice, I was actually amazed at how smooth things went). The only aspect I'm not a real fan of is provisioning for bareboats, because no stranger can really guess what YOU want to have stocked on your boat; I now do my own provisioning.<BR><BR>I've written reports on all of my charters on my personal website at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html, or feel free to contact me directly. Also, check out the BVI message board at www.traveltalkonline.com -- a lot of frequent-charterers participate.<BR><BR>Good luck choosing a sailing vacation. It is an un-matched way to visit the islands.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Claire

Eva - Thanks for the info. Sounds very favorable. <BR><BR>I will check your site and the other site as well. Anyone else?<BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Kris

Claire, Went on a family vacation with The Moorings in BVI's last March. It was absolutely fabulous. I was originally against crewed boat - I was so wrong. The food was insanely excellent, we didn't have to lift a finger, enough food/bev for 2 weeks (trip was 5 days), and very knowledgable captain. <BR><BR>We had 6 adults, 2 crew, 5 cabins, 5 heads, on a 55' plush cat.<BR><BR>Everything went very smoothly for us and I would charter with them again in a minute.<BR><BR>It was a perfect trip. Kris

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Beverly

Had a great experience chartering a boat to tour the BVIs with just a friend, the sailor, and me, snacktician and relief steerer.<BR>The Moorings takes excellent care of you in addition to making sure you are well stocked. We ended up having more leftovers but their food and other items were well thought out and quality. The boat itself was well maintained, exceptionally clean for the popularity of chartering in the BVIs, and very comfortable. You'll find there is a very large population of those who charter boats in that area so you will be in good company.