I'm afraid of everything

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Anon

I'm afraid of everything

What is it with everyone these days? You can't come on this board without seeing someone afraid of something regarding Caribbean travel.<BR><BR>They are afraid of being mugged, getting sick, drinking the water, eating the food...<BR>A vaction is supposed to be fun and relaxing! Go! Have a great time and quit worrying about everything! <BR><BR>If a place is going to put you in that much of a panic, yes even a panic over should they use EC or US dollars, travel in the US or better yet, stay home. The Caribbean is a wonderful, magical place. There is nothing like the sights and sounds and smells.Fascinating people. You aren't going to Outer Mongolia. They have indoor plumbing and everything there.<BR><BR>As my kids used to say...CHILL!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:15 AM
ctt

I agree. During the past 10 years we've vacationed in Florida, Jamaica, Aruba, and St. Thomas. We had a wonderful time on every trip. No problems.<BR><BR>Reading this board had me worried about the wind in Aruba, the crime in Jamaica and St. Thomas, etc. etc. All overexaggerated.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Kim

Us too never have we been sick, we have been to Jamaica on several occasions, Bahamas, St.Lucia.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:48 PM
jb

Unfortunately, lots of people do get sick in the islands. I was sick in Martinique with food poisoning and actually brought a little "friend" home that lived in my tummy for about 2 months. YUCK! And, several years ago, my husband (then boyfriend) was deathly ill for days, basically ruining our vacation, in Jamaica, with once again, food poisoning.<BR><BR>I am not afraid of going - but I am careful about what I eat.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:58 PM
anon

Exaxctly. You are CARERFUL. That is the key. Careful what you eat, what you drink, where you walk at night, but not terrified and fretting over it.<BR><BR>We both got sick once and we too brought the friend home and I couldn't leave the house for a couple months, but I went right back to the islands.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Susan

What is this 'friend' thing all about?<BR>Parasites? But bad enough to render you house-bound for months? C'mon!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:27 AM
anon

I personally had to take up residence in the bathroom for 2 months till the meds took effect.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:00 AM
xxx

That's how people become "CAREFUL." They learn from others. To say they shouldn't inquire about it on this board is ridiculous. How else will new travelers know what and what not to do.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:30 AM
xxx

I agree, but there in inquiring and then there is obsessing.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Susan

I think you all are stupid if you want to ruin your vacation and still be sick afterwards.<BR><BR>And crazy you are if you call a parasite a friend!<BR><BR>Whatever...different strokes for different folks!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:19 AM
blue eyes

For your info........<BR>I was NOT PANICING about using EC or US $ i have never been to the carribbean before and I didn't know which was best........thats all...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:41 AM
anon

You sounded pretty frantic to me...<BR><BR>Susan, would you rather we say we had the screaming shits?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:44 AM
xxx

Susan: It think it's pretty obvious that the term "friend" is being used sarcastically.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Susan

It is obvious that the term friend is used sarcastically, however, I still do not understand who would want to ruin their stomach's on vacation.<BR><BR>We do all have different tolerance though to this sort of thing, so I really shouldn't comment like I did.<BR><BR>Sorry...I know im in for one now!!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:07 AM
anon

I have trouble with my stomach (oh no, another euphemism...)at home, so I might just as well go to the islands.<BR><BR>CARPE DIEM

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Eric

I've stayed at numerous All Inclusives in the Caribbean, and have found that the resorts help to create this fear... Let me give a few examples:<BR><BR>1) Taxi service - Many resorts allow a taxi company to setup a table in the lobby or near the desk. These taxi services are expensive, and the hotel's take a cut. Recently while staying at Riu, my wife and I were very strongly urged (by the hotel staff) not to walk down to the main street, to hail a cab - as it could "dangerous", and they didn't want to be "responsible"... We were basically told it would be dangerous to use any taxi service but their own. We have been to Negril numerous times, and always use the local taxis - at about 1/2 the cost of the hotel's service. Since the hotel is taking a cut, they may (and do) use fear tactics to get your money...<BR><BR>2) Site Seeing - Again, the hotels get a cut of the (very expensive) sight seeing packages that are run out of their lobbies... Often you will end up paying $200-$300 US to get crammed onto a hot bus, to see one of the local sights. You will have much more fun getting a taxi, and going there yourself - as well as saving tons of money. The hotel management and staff will warn you about this - as a way of getting your money. <BR><BR>Just a couple examples... I think this type of behaviour is very common. The management of the all inclusives stand to gain if you are at least a little afraid...<BR><BR>Eric<BR><BR>Eric

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:23 AM
frank

Think it is just the inexperienced traveler that has fears. Apprehension is one thing and a little anticipatory anxiety is good. But as long as people insist on gourging at food buffets in the hot caribbean sun, over indulging and drinking from sun up to sun down and not even thinking of what they are doing there is going to be those who get sick where ever. The trolls and flamers here love to upset and destroy anyone's hope of having a good time so flood the board with tales of crime, illness and lies or exaggerations of some type. Hard to tell the truth from the lies. Go to other sources that are much more reliable than the info here. Don't even try to get info here for the most part it is not accurate.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:08 AM
anon

Then what are you doing here? Telling lies or reading lies?<BR><BR>I for one have never posted anything that I didn't believe was 100% correct and I post solely on personal experience. I don't presume to be an expert after spending a half day on an island duing a cruise. Any info is from lengthy trips to various islands.<BR><BR>Opinions differ, however, and some may see beauty while others see desert. Thank God everyone is different....just because MY opinion of X is not the same as YOUR opinion, it doesn't make it wrong. And vice versa.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Eric

Epimenides was a philosopher from Crete who said "All Cretans are Liars..." Thus we have the "Epimenides Paradox"...<BR><BR>Frank has given yet another example (that would make old Epimenides proud) when he said "Don't even try to get info here for the most part it is not accurate..." <BR><BR>I too try to be very accurate when posting any information on this sight. I base my posts on my actual experiences in the Caribbean, and try to be as factual as possible. Granted, anyone (including resort management) are free to post, but for the most part it seems that people are truthful and frank.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Anon.

Eric: No pun intended?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO