Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If you make a restaurant reservation, please keep it!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:37 AM
restaurateur

It may not be a new problem here in St. Thomas, but several restaurateurs have recently seen a rise in visitors making large reservations and then failing to show up. We understand that this is becoming common practice on the mainland where large parties, unsure of where they might want to eat, make reservations at different places and then decide at the last minute where they want to go. We ask that you please don't bring such habits here to our islands! Most of our resstaurants are quite small and if someone makes a reservation for a large party we go through hoops prepping and sometimes turning away our unreserved regulars to accomodate you. When you neither show up or cancel, we end up upsetting our regulars and wasting food (which is then going to up the price for future customers). So, please, if you make a large reservation and can't keep it, please cancel with proper notice. We would appreciate your cooperation. If the practice continues, don't be surprised or offended if we ask for your credit card number and explain that if you're a no-show we'll debit your credit card with a per person "no-show" charge. We really don't want to do this but we do work very hard for a living.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Parrot Mom

What many upscale restaurants do in the States is to request a credit card # upon the request for reservations. I would assume there is or could be a "no-show" fee. Or the alternative is to hold the reservations for 30 minutes and then release the tables.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:30 AM
ANNA

Incredible! Just logged on here (my old computer allows me precious little time on the net but customers said my place had been mentioned a few times so I had to check it out) and here is something that I would have sworn I'd written myself but didn't! It was just about a week ago that I took a reservation for 12 people on a Friday night. The caller wanted non-smoking so they were basically going to take over my "Cozy" dining room. Stupidly I didn't get a telephone number. I busted my butt all afternoon to make sure I had enough food prepped to accomodate the party and my regular customers. A few of my regulars (not reserved) came in between 7 and 7:30 and I told them when they walked towards the Cozy that they'd have to sit out in the bar area because I had a party coming in and they were fine about that. What wasn't fine was that the party didn't show up. On a hunch I called the nearest hotel at about 8:15PM and on giving them the name of the people who had called was told that they were indeed staying there. The operator was empathetic that these people hadn't kept their reservation but I left a message on their room's answering machine simply saying who I was and that if they were on their way that was fine but, if not, "thanks so much for your reservation". At 9:30 they hadn't called and hadn't shown up so I left another message on their room machine simply suggesting that they shouldn't do this kind of thing because I had worked very hard to ensure a pleasant dining night for them. Of course I never heard a word from them and maybe the anonymous restaurateur who posted this message was one like me who got stuck that night by the same group. I wasted food that night. Friday night is my fish and chips special and with my small kitchen I prep the chips beforehand so I can get the food out quickly. I also cooked up more fresh mashed potatoes to ensure that I had enough for my regulars and for that group. Throwing out that which I couldn't keep made me sick. But I've now learned a lesson and had already decided after that debacle on going with the credit card deal for parties over 8. As far as holding tables for 30 minutes, I think that's always been the norm here. Doesn't alter the fact that this is a practice that shouldn't become the "norm" - as so many of these things tend to become. I honestly run a small and struggling business and provide good service and good food which has only recently started to get some attention. This was a souring note for me but it won't happen again. Thanks, "restaurateur" - I'm sure I must know you because I'm an institution here - but you took the words right out of my mouth!<BR>Cheers to you visitors who, with your accolades and good graces keep us all going. The people who do this kind of "multi-reservation" deal probably don't search the net anyway and it's all going to fall on deaf ears!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Garber

I sympathize with your plights and I'm sorry. But on a different note, in the future could you divide your posts into paragraghs. Much easier to read. Thanks much.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Citygirl

Too bad that the rude manners that has forced some of us in metro areas to require a credit card and cancellation fee has found its way to the islands. I bet they'd be the first to complain if they arrived and weren't seated immediately or if there were a snafu to their disadvantage. My apologies on behalf of those of us who would not do such an ungracious thing and know that it will just lead to someone not taking reservations at all - something I wouldn't like because it would mean a possible long wait for a table which I am not interested in doing.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:38 PM
xxx

I'll bet that these people who make the dinner reservation and never show up are the same people who "reserve" a pool or beach chair with their towels and magazines at 6 AM and then don't show up until after noontime!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:20 PM
anonymous

Ahhh... the people that save chairs with towels -- my biggest pet peeve.<BR><BR>As for the restauranteurs, I completely agree with you... if people reserve a table, have the decency to show up or cancel -- for the benefit of the restaurant's business and others who would like to try the restaurant.<BR><BR>On the other hand, I have grown increasingly frustrated with the number of restaurants (at least in the US) that have no problem seating you 30-45 minutes after your reservation time, while telling you to pack yourself in with the other sardines at the bar to wait for your table. I would suggest that it's a 2-way street. I could understand waiting 10-15 minutes after a reservation time, but after that, how about a free drink or dessert? <BR><BR>These all seem like issues of common courtesy... right?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:28 PM
DiningOut

don't mind an unanticipated wait if they throw in something for free, huh? sometimes timing is everything and things go wrong. If you have a late seating then it is possible or probable that you might have to wait and don't punish the owner because the other diners decided to drink coffee for 2 hours after they've finished! I hate it when they have empty tables, you have the reservation but they show you to the bar while the table is set up just to sell you an extra drink or two. If you refuse, surprising how quickly you get seated some places.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:10 PM
anonymous

Well, unfortunately restaurants are in the business of "predicting" ... that is, having an idea how long people tend to spend dining in a restaurant and understanding how long the waits will be... that's part of the business ... that's why people are willing to spend $50 per person to eat out.<BR><BR>And usually, I find that when late reservation seating is a problem, it usually affects 20-30 people, not 5-6. And even if the restaurant is full, that doesn't necessarily justify the situation -- especially if the restaurant staff simply overbooks.<BR><BR>True, unanticipated delays occur. But if a restaurant is truly interested in maintaining a loyal customer base, and interested in developing a positive reputation, it's not such a costly proposition to buy people a drink while they wait beyond reasonable waits.<BR><BR>Personally, I would never make a reservation and either not show up, or cancel last minute. But I also expect that if the restaurant is going to expect me to show up on time and spend good money on a meal, and leave a nice tip, that perhaps the restaurant should remember who the customer is.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:37 AM
s

WHY IS THIS IN THE CARIBBEAN SECTION???<BR><BR>It should be EVERYWHERE!!<BR><BR>(Yes, I know I'm yelling.)