I really, really need some advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of 6 would like to take a caribbean vacation this december instead of buying gifts. We have never been to any of the islands and would love to take our four daughters for a 5/6 day trip. Any ideas on how to achieve a modest trip that feels special without breaking the bank?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:50 PM

I'm sure someone will have a suggestion, but you should be prepared -from December 15 it's "high season" in the Caribbean and that translates to the most expensive pricing all year for accommodations. Usually the week between Christmas and New Years is THE MOST EXPENSIVE of the year. Some places even require a 2 week booking at that timeframe.

I do hope you are successful, though.

Lois
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Due to your time frame I am not sure about the prices. Typically the DR specifically Punta Cana has been known for resonable prices. Not sure how you feel about Mexico but the Playa Del Carmen area is also nice, beautiful beaches and many family resorts. Try checking applevacations.com It is to early now though to check there.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:55 PM

My family always talks about doing that, but we haven't yet. It's a great idea though!

I'd recommend Aruba...stay at the Radisson (they usally offer good deals)

Or if you want to stay at a condo or Villa...which I assume you might since you have a large family...try either the British Virgin Islands or Cayman Islands (I know Caymans are expensive but if you go the condo route it can be very reasonable)

Another thought is the Dominican Republic...realtivey inexpensive.

Good luck!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:16 AM

Sorry Kristen, but a condo in the Caymans at Christmas won't be cheap. This time is usually shoulder season but for many of the condos it is high season. A large condo for a family of 6 (assuming they need 3 bedrooms) could easily be $500 US and up per day. Also they won't be able to book less than a 7 day stay in my experience. We went to Cayman 4 years ago at Christmas and had trouble even finding just a 7 day rental in a condo. I agree that a condo is the best way to go to Cayman but getting a deal there at Christmas time doesn't fit with my experience.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:08 AM

you're right Randy...I am currently looking for early december and some places offer 2 nights free and reduced rates so that is along the lines of what I was thinking. But any place at X-mas will be pricey....
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Go in early Dec. before high season prices. Might I suggest the ESJ towers in San Juan PR. You can get a beach front condo to save on food, it is a great location and there are tons of things to do in PR. Really I think PR is a gem of a place to visit. Good luck, Larry
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:53 AM

My sister and her family and mine recently got back from a trip to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. It was our first trip to Mexico in a long time as usually we travel to the Caribbean. We were totally taken with how much youget for the money. Far cheaper then the Caribbean. While the resorts ar much larger, you get excellent beaches, many dining choices, impressives pools, tons to see and do off the resorts and great for kids of all ages. We went to the Paraiso Del Mar and I highyl recommend it. Kids had a ball and pretty good on price.
You also get exchange privalges with the other two resorts there as well.
Penney
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:09 AM

If you must travel over Christmas season, I would suggest looking into the Caribbean side of the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico, perhaps Akumal (located about 60 miles south of Cancun). Holiday rates there while higher than any other time of year are still reasonable. Not sure about minimum stay requirements though. Also lots of carriers offer flights into Cancun airport, so with greater competition you'll have a better chance of getting reasonable airfare as well vs. some of the islands that are only served by a few carriers.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:29 AM

How about a cruise? I would think you could get some decent deals if you look for them. I have a friend who goes on cruises with her whole family, and they always have a great time. That way, your family could also get a taste of several different islands since you have never been to the Caribbean. It really helps you decide what places you would like to return for a longer stay. My recommendation for a cruise line is Royal Caribbean - I've been on two enjoyable cruises with them.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:03 PM

We did this in 2001.... 14 of us went to Puerto Plata, The Grand Ventana (Victoria HOtels)...it was so incrediably afforadable we would do it again, but go to Punta Cana this time. I have been to many Caribbean Island each year with my husband alone, and most of them would just be too expensive a vacation for the whole crew, but the DR is truly a good bargin at that time of year.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:46 PM

I am going to second the notion of taking a cruise. It's a great way to travel considering that you get to visit a few different places, and there is lots of great activities onboard the ship. Royal Carribean is great, but if you are concerned with the cost of this, you may want to check out Norwegian Cruise Lines. They're prices are pretty good and it's a great value for families. Good Luck!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Definitely a cruise! Check out expedia.com for cruises that fit your needs. Carnival and Royal Caribbean are great for families with kids. (Royal Caribbean is nicer than Carnival, but don't avoid Carnival if the price is right.) Norwegian Cruise Line has a 7 day cruise on the SS Norway for approximately $350 pp.

There are so many points for departure now, New Orleans, Galveston/Houston, Charleston, not just the usual Florida cities. Cruises out of San Juan, Puerto Rico are a great value, but the airfare is a problem.

Please update us on what you decide to do.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Lots of options in Jamaica, high season starts Dec 15 so you can go before that or look around...some areas of JA are not at all expensive.

Have a look at treasurebeach.net - lots of nice villas (with cook, maid, etc....no work!) with good prices, right on the water.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Forgot to post a link to an article about a family taking a villa in TB:

http://www.sunspot.net/travel/bal-tr...rtslife-travel
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:33 PM

aruba, divi all inclusive. A bit more expensive that time of yr but kids 18 and under stay and eat free...don't know any other that offers that!