Reload this Page >

I found perfect seclusion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Jenn

I just recently returned from Cat Island, where we stayed at Fernandez Bay Village. I cannot begin to describe how perfect the island and our accommodations were! <BR> <BR>This is really a place to go and get away from everything. My boyfriend and I loved the chance to lay on a secluded beach (5 miles of pink sand and we were the only people there!), take kayaks out and around the island, and meet the locals. This place is as laid back as it comes. <BR> <BR>I'd like to keep this my little secret, but feel obliged to tell everyone who'll listen what a perfect and unspoiled time we had there. The landscape can't be beat and there's plenty to do-- so long as you enjoy swimming, laying in the sun, exploring secluded beaches, snorkeling, fishing, bike riding and kayaking. <BR> <BR>NOTE of caution: This is not the perfect vacation for someone who needs to be constantly pampered at a 5 star hotel to be happy. It is simple and above all else, exactly what you make of it! <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Jace

Very curious about Fernandez Bay because we once planned to stay there but had to cancel trip. Also had some reservations because we weren't sure if we would like the rooms. They look sort of rustic in the brochure. Would like your description - also how were the meals?

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:28 AM
David

Ok...let's get down to brass tacks...this blows my mind. I understood Cat Island to be a total loss when I inquired about Cutlass Bay which apparently has been burned down by thugs and the owners were nearly killed and violently assualted. I asked here if it was true--seemed surreal. I wished it wasnt because we really wanted a C/O beach....and now its gone. I dont think Fernandez is C/O but if Cutlass Bay was basically nuked by crime how could a neighboring resort be so good?! I am encouraged by this report--Jenn can you shed any insights here?

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Jenn

Howdy Jace and David, <BR> <BR>Jace, I would say rustic, yes, trashy or unclean, no. The rooms, if you can call them that, are wonderful! All of the places to stay are either suites, cottages or houses. Very private! We stayed in Shane's Shack (think cottage, not "shack!") and were literally FEET from the water's edge. It did get a little sandy, but what would you expect? Housekeeping came through every day and swept, cleaned our bathroom, etc. The other houses were very nice, too-- we walked through them on the last day. Don't think 5-star Hilton, though... think "This is a tiny little island, remote, rustic, UNSPOILED." <BR> <BR>The food was the best I've had on vacation, ever. We had wonderful seafood, steaks, lamb, pork, you name it! I never ate so much in my life. Breakfast was the standard fare: cereal, fruit, yogurt, eggs, toast, bacon or sausage. Lunch was a selction of deli sandwiches (Yummy!) or burgers, grilled cheese, fries, chicken strips, the works. <BR> <BR>David, I'll tell you that I went for many middle of the night walks, by myself, on FBV's beach, with no incident. A few mornings, before the sun came up, I was out for a jog or walk, and again had no problems being a young female, alone. My boyfriend and I left all of our money and valuables in Shane's Shack the entire time and nothing ever got touched, much less stolen. I'm talking hundreds of $$ between us. I felt completely, 100% safe, which I don't even feel in my own apartment. We found the locals to be friendly, helpful and kind... not at all criminal or menacing. FBV is not C/O, but you will have no problem on Cat Island finding a place to be alone, where you can take it all off. As I said, we were on a five mile beach, that was absolutely breathtaking, by ourselves for HOURS, in the middle of a gorgeous day, when you'd expect people to be out and about. I'm really modest and had no problem changing into my bikini right there on the beach-- I'd never do that anywhere else, period-- so you know it's private and secluded... <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Jace

Thanks, Jenn!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:44 AM
David

Well this really helps--and it's what I was hoping you'd say. I didnt want to believe the whole place was ruined--and I've been to several other islands---but again, for those who've heard about Cutlass Bay, the story of what happened there is really insane--it strains credibility--so I had to ask for this confirmation about FBV. <BR> <BR>I plan to go now!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Peggy

Jenn, <BR>I had also considered FBV at one time but was scared off by all the negative publicity. So glad you posted. If you were going to recommend the best cottage/suite there for privacy, roominess & view & proximity to the beach, which one would it be? I have a layout of the resort but didn't see a "Shanes Shack" listed. Did you have a meal plan & could you visit a store for snacks/wine/beer & have a refrig to keep it in? Any room service for breakfast? That's just one of my favorite things, to sit on a quiet patio by the beach & sip my tea & drink in the scenery around me. Any info you can give me I'd love to hear! Thanks.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 01:52 AM
Caribbeanlover

Just like many other Caribbean destinations have lost their charm now its time for cat island, by spreading the word cat island in the U.S. within 50 years from now I would not be surprize to see it Americanized and become into a mass destination. It happened to Aruba, it happened to the Caymans, Barbados and currently St. Lucia. <BR> <BR>Yet we complain how Americanized the Caribbean is, but we the Americans are the only ones to blame for this, we are real hypocrits.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:09 AM
David

Too bad we can't keep this "on-topic"...it was bordering on being useful info. <BR> <BR>There's nothing to apologize for in asking for solid reliable service and pristine natural environments. The balance can be struck. Where it falls apart is when people start expecting that at a bargain price that everyone can afford. And that is what ruins the gorgeous islands. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Kristy

Jen, any grocery stores, other restaurants/facilities around? Did you rent a car?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:43 AM
Mark

Dear Jen; <BR> Fernandez Bay Village looks like a perfect spot for my wife and I- thank you for your post. Is there good snorkeling right off the beach and is the water the beautiful light blue/turquoise color? Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 06:38 AM
paul

If you want two other locations where you can enjoy quaintness and a choice of beautiful beaches - some very secluded - and little or no worry about crime, try Marie-Galante or Terre-de-Haute (Les Saintes), both just off Guadeloupe. Although parts of Guadeloupe itself are starting to take on some of the same crime &amp; tourist build-up problems of many other islands (except Americanization, of course), Marie-Galante and Les Saintes are peaceful havens with beautiful beaches, virtually no crime, and peace-and-quiet. On Terre de Haute, no cars are permitted - you get around on foot, on scooter, or bicycle. You can rent cars on Marie-Galante, but you won't ever see anything resembling "traffic" on the road. Nothing could be less Americanized - in fact, you may have trouble finding people who speak any English - brush up on your French, or bring a phrasebook, if you go. Hotel choices are few and far between. Best bets would be the Cohoba on Marie-Galante (a 3-star, on a great beach), and either Le Bois Joli or Petits Saints aux Anacardiers on Terre de Haute. An even more secluded choice than these two, also with an outstanding beach or two which you'll have almost completely to yourself, is the island of La Desirade.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:16 AM
Jenn

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I was away for work!<BR><BR>I didn't rent a car, but we went to the place where car rentals are doled out-- it's the same place as the nearest store. We took a bike or walked everywhere, just because it was almost too beautiful to justify driving. That said, however, I regret not getting to see more of the island and next time plan to rent a car to at least see more than what we were able to cover on foot. <BR><BR>We passed two of the restaurants on our bike trip from FBV to The Hermitage (easy bike ride!). We ate all of our meals at FBV, so I can't say what they were like. However, two different-- VERY different-- couples told us that the food at the restaurant closest to FBV was divine. <BR><BR>As for snorkeling, it's a delight not too far from FBV. We took a kayak out one afternoon and dove right in to find all kinds of wonderful underwater treasures. Twice while we were there, boating excursions to other locations around Cat took a few people out to go snorkeling. A quick bike ride from FBV will take you to three different snorkeling spots, including the very mysterious "blue holes". <BR><BR>No chance at all, Peggy, for room service. You could very easily order your breakfast, get it, and walk back to your patio to eat if you'd like. Darrin and I made coffee every morning (coffee pots in each room) and sat outside enjoying the morning. Remember, though, that part of the dining hall is outside, so you do eat on the beach every time you want, just not necessarily right in your room.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:19 AM
Jenn

One more thing: Yes, there was a refrigerator in each room.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:45 PM
robert

Interesting read. Cat Island and the other outer islands are still safe, but you musn't be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Robert <BR>****************************** <BR> <BR>Bahamas Current Headlines: <BR> <BR>Other Cat Island News <BR> <BR>10 year old child raped in Cat Island Man bound over in superior court for the arson of Cutlass Bay has now been accused of the rape of a 10 year old Bains Town, Cat Island girl. If Bahamian Courts had acted properly, this child would not have been the victim of this horrible crime. Does Julian now have the Dream Team attorneys or now that the Russells are not involved does he even have an attorney? Brave Davis you are responsible. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Nassau Guardian reports "Cocaine Kingpins" order hit on Prime Minister <BR> <BR>Welcome to the REAL Bahamas <BR> <BR>Cat Island Past & Present <BR> <BR>Experience the Drug Dealing, Money Laundering and Corruption. Government officials, police and courts are for sale to the highest bidder. <BR> <BR>The August 27, 1999 Assault Against Robby & Sandy <BR> <BR>In Robby's Own Words <BR> <BR> <BR>The Arson committed on August 27, 1999 destroyed the Clubhouse, including the Kitchen, Bar and Restaurant, 12 Rooms and 2 vans. <BR> <BR>Robby, Sandy & Stacy ran for their lives. <BR> <BR> August 27, 1999 Arson <BR> <BR>The persons that were charged in the crime and the persons I intend to prove to you that were responsible are still on Cat Island, and right next door to Cutlass Bay. <BR>Sandy <BR> <BR> <BR>Robby's dream was shattered by Drug Dealers <BR> <BR>Read about the new crime act (similar to the U. S Rico Act) just enacted in the Bahamas. <BR> <BR> Prime Minister Ingraham supported the bill but his opposition is vowing to have the bill repealed. Even this bill will not help unless something is done to stop the corruption within the police departments and the court system. <BR> <BR> Robby never became embroiled in Bahamian Politics while on Cat Island. But, because we experienced first hand, Sand Money discloses Bahamian Politics and what we had to deal with in order to co-exist. <BR> <BR> You will read letters written to the American Embassy in the <BR>Bahamas and their answers. You will read letters written to U. S. Senators. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Jenn

Wowsers Robert. This is, indeed, nothing new or unheard of, but nonetheless, a good reminder that despite the lush, peaceful and beautiful surroundings provided by Cat Island, no place on Earth is without crime. It's sad and something that definitely needs to be taken notice of. <BR> <BR>I had read these stories online prior to leaving for Cat Island and nearly cancelled my trip because of them. I am so glad, after having gone and experienced it for myself, that I didn't. It's important to remember that no matter where you go, to keep your wits about you and stay safe. <BR> <BR>Despite this awful press and the stories swirling of violence on Cat Island, I had no problems whatsoever. We left cash in our room, unattended, without losing a dime. I took many late night walks, sometimes alone, without once encountering another person, much less someone threatening. We were there for 8 days of complete and blissful peace, solitude and fun. <BR> <BR>Thanks for bringing the safety discussion to the forefront, Robert. It's a great reminder! I think another way to look at this, however, is to consider that Cat isn't known as a hot bed of tourists, therefore reducing the amount of crime normally associated with those types places. For example, think of Jamaica, where I'd bet you're at least 100 times more likely to be mugged than on Cat Island. Or Nassau, where stories like these few you posted regarding Cat Island are commonplace and not the newsmaking exception. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Robert

Jenn; Yes, the out islands of the Bahamas are a "Best Kept" secret to people like us. However, many need a structured schedule in order to have fun. The shade of a palm tree, a cot and good book with Kahlik beer on the turquoise ocean is fine with me. Still, the drug activity is increasing throughout the more remote Bahamian Islands, although it did take a downturn in the late 80's/early 90's. On Abaco, I helped researchers save the endangered Bahama Parrot in southern Abaco. Back then, the road wasn't paved, and I hunted feral cats and slept in the forest/jungle at night. Saw many signs of drug trafficking. The chief of police stopped us in his jeep one day, and told us to stay away from the area. Another constable with an automatic rifle, and two more approached the windows of our pick up. He began asking many questions, until I told him we were with the New York Zoological Society, and were part of a team saving the parrots. He then apologized, and let us go. To this day, I wonder if he was paid by drug smugglers to keep an area clear for shipment time. Regardless, the last thing paid off police officials or drug traffickers want to do is harm tourists. Robert