Search

Hyatt St. Lucia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 07:30 PM
Sheila

Hyatt St. Lucia

Does anyone know how the resort construction is progressing? My husband and I will be there mid-May. The website provides some general information, but no pictures (which makes sense as it is still being constructed)? Any rumors about quality, progress, etc...?

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 04:27 AM
Kay

I am booked into the Hyatt in June. The lastest information I got was it was due to open in March. some concerts which are part of the St. Lucia jazz festival in mid May are scheduled to be there so I am sure it will be open by May.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 08:27 AM
elaine

Sheila/Kay, <BR> <BR>We were on Pidgeon Island this past Saturday for the day. Our ship crew prepared lunch and location was right next to new Hyatt. Progress looks great! Talked w/some locals who claim it should be ready 'on time'. Hotel is right on beach overlooking Caribbean...Atlantic Ocean is on 'other side'. My opinion is you will need a car as main part of St. Lucia is approx. 25 min. by cab. Hope this helps. <BR>PS -- Hyatt structure is white w/blue roofs...seems attractive

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Sheila

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I've heard that driving your own car in St. Lucia can be risky and terrifying, especially if you're accustomed to driving on the other side of the road in the United States. Any comments?

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 11:05 AM
elaine

Sheila, <BR> <BR>Re: driving/St. Lucia...as mentioned we were only on the island briefly. We did hire a driver, and when we commented that Hyatt seemed 'remote', were told that all hotels have cab service, but that this could get pricey and many folks rent car for a week. <BR>Since we did not venture into the center of the island, I cannot comment, w/exception of our brief transport w/driver. The ride was uneventful. We rented a jeep on Anguilla and found the driving pleasant. Hope other Fodorites can assist re: driving on St. Lucia. One alternative is to check on car rental availability at Hyatt prior to your arrival (w/out actually making a decision)...after you arrive at hotel you can determine if you would get your money's worth vs. a cab, and then make a decision.