Reload this Page >

Hyatt, Ritz or Marriott?

Search

Hyatt, Ritz or Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Sally

Hyatt, Ritz or Marriott?

I'm planning just 3 days in Puerto Rico for relaxing on the beach & lying by the pool. I have hotel points with Ritz Carlton, Marriott & Hyatt so want to stay in one of these. Which of these 3 would you recommend for quality of beach & pool? I'm also hoping not to hire a car so good hotel restaurants or restaurants nearby would also be a plus

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:34 PM
rqf

Hyatt Dorado has a basic rectangular pool and a good beach. Quiet and restful but in the boondocks so, unless you have a car, all meals have to be taken at the hotel or the sister hotel, Cerromar next door.<BR>Cerromar beach similar to Dorado but pool is a river pool and huge. Lots of kids in attendance so peace and quiet is a sometime thing.<BR>Marriott - in the Condado. No need for a car with plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Beach is okay and could be crowded especially on weekend.<BR>Ritz - in Isla Verde near airport. Beach and pool are fine. Plenty of restaurants in the area both in nearby hotels and those not connected with any hotel. <BR>Couldn't go wrong with any of the three but if I had to make a choice I would pick the Ritz.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Sally

Thanks rqf, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for. If I wasn't tied to these three hotel chains what would you say is the best beach/pool combo without crowds & without kids for the weekend? Many Thanks again.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:13 AM
rqf

Of the three for peace and quiet I would choose the Hyatt Dorado. The beach is not very wide but that does not matter since it is not crowded. The pool, however, is a standard pool and there are no shade trees - umbrellas, yes. All beaches in PR are public but access to the beach at the Hyatt is so restricted the only people at the beach will be hotel guests.<BR>The beach at the Ritz is good and the pool area is quite nice. The hotel is next to the airport so airplane noise can be intrusive. This can be a problem.<BR>I would stay away from the Condado area because the beach is almost also busy and the space isn't there for huge pool area.<BR>The Wyndham El San Juan is near the Ritz so beach is comparable but the pool area at the Wyndham is much larger and the grounds are more extensive. If you are attuned to it you can hear aircraft noise. I was at the Wyndham in November and for the first time there was sea grass in the ocean until the last day of our visit. One further note on the Dorado. It is one of the oldest tourist hotels on the island dating back to the 60's. I assume it has been renovated since but the same basic hotel units still exist.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Jim

I would agree with rqf, although I wasn't terribly impressed with the beach at the Ritz. The pool area, while not as extensive as the ESJ, is very nice.