Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Dorado/Westin Rio Mar/Wyndham Conquistador in Puerto Rico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Cat

I have never been to PR and have many questions. Firstly, I would appreciate any comments on these hotels, as I am trying to decide on a place to stay in Puerto Rico. So far, I've looked at the Hyatt Dorado, its sister property the Hyatt Cerromar, Westin Rio Mar and Wyndham Conquistador. Which is your favorite hotel and why? Which location is the best? How was the beach/ocean at these resort? Please share your experiences. Thank you. <BR> <BR>On a separate note, any other general advice on PR would be greatly appreciated. Favorite restaurants, places to go, time of year I should go, etc. It looks as if all of these hotels are 40 minutes outside of San Juan - is it easy and cheap to get around PR? <BR> <BR>Thank you for your help!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 05:22 AM
eileen

I highly recommend the Hyatt Dorado -- my husband and I went there in 99 and absolutely loved it (and since then an entire renovation has been completed). If you want peace and quiet and a beautiful beach, then the Dorado is it. The Cerramar is also nice, but busier, more oriented toward families and groups, and has hardly any beach. If you stay at the Dorado you can take the shuttle back and forth to Cerramar to use the facilities if you want a change of scene. It's about 40 minutes outside of San Juan. There are about 7 restaurants between the two properties - plenty of choices. Su Casa at Dorado is the best one, I think. If you get a beachfront room at Dorado you are literally steps away from the water - I recommend the beachfront upper, the view is better and so close to the water you feel like you are on a ship! Sorry, I can't comment on the Westin and Wyndham although I hear they are huge and the rooms are not as close to the beach. It depends on your priorities.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 07:55 AM
DIXIE

I have been to all three of these resorts. They are all beautiful but very different. The one I like least is the Wyndham El Conquistador. It is beautiful but up on a bluff overlooking the harbor, take a launch to the beach. That wasn't too much of a hassel. The resort it's self seemed cold and convention like. The main lobby is like a shopping mall. I love the Westin Rio Mar,great beach and wonderful golf. But I think my favorite it the Hyatt Dorado. Get a room on ground level and walk right out on to the fantastic beach. Very very romantic rooms and the staff is very friendly and helpful with everything. Bonus, you can also use the Cerromar and they have a comp schuttle between the two resorts.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:40 AM
nicky

<BR>Last year we stayed at the Hyatt <BR>Dorado for a week. We were so <BR>disappointed! After checking it <BR>out on the Web we were expecting <BR>a really beautiful room. We were <BR>disappointed because even though <BR>it had been renovated our beach <BR>front (first floor room) was <BR>really shabby. For over $500 <BR>a night I think it could have been better. I found the grounds to be o.k. but not quite <BR>what we expected. The best <BR>thing about our room was that <BR>it had wonderful access to the <BR>beach. The pool was alright, but unfortunately did not have <BR>a view to the ocean. There was <BR>another pool by the ocean but no <BR>one was ever there and it was <BR>very windy. The main restaurant <BR>for breakfast and lunch was partly inside and out. The tables were wobbly and ugly and <BR>worst of all, we asked for a <BR>table on the outside part and <BR>there was like a chicken wire <BR>preventing the birds to come in. <BR>The resort did have a kind of <BR>country club feel. The restaurant "Su Casa" was our favorite. We ate there alot. <BR>Really nice. It was also nice <BR>to have access to Cerromar next <BR>door, with the river pool and <BR>a nice beach. <BR>The Westin was very nice. We <BR>stayed there and found it beautiful. When we went a few <BR>year ago the only downside was <BR>that it was also far from other <BR>places and did not have a great <BR>restaurant selection. But it was new and really pretty.! <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Joe

To Nicky: I wonder if you wld. elaborate <BR>a bit.....the roome are 'shabby' for <BR>$500/night???? (Is that USD???? I am Canadian!!!! Ouch!). We are booked there for May & are now re-thinking.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:59 AM
eileen

The entire property was renovated in 1999. I was there in 99 during the renovation and I did not find anything shabby about my room, they were very nice with ceramic tile, four-poster beds, etc. I really would not worry about this, I do not think you will be disappointed. The $500 a night is the winter rate for a beachfront room, in May I am sure your rate is quite a bit lower. If you don't like your room for some reason, they are very accommodating and will move you to another location.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Manny

If you want to relax The Hyatt Dorado is it!! Ask for a first floor oceanfront room. If you want two good restaurants outside the resort try Mangiare(Italian) and Yukiyu. These restaurants are favored by the locals. Also in old San Juan try Amadeus. The beach in the Westin Rio Mar is no good, specially in March-April time frame. Also beware that it can get crowded in the summer by locals(I am one so I know)same goes with the Cerromar. The El Conquistador is beautiful but on top of a hill and away from the beach. It owns it's own private island,(Palomino) which waters are AMAZING and CLEAR!!. Good Japanesse Resturant.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:11 AM
elizabeth

Just got back from the Wyndham El Conquistador - very pretty/but large and somewhat empty resort for what i thought was almost high season. Food prices at the many restaurants is crazy high (salads are like 15.00) - but the food is pretty good. staff was pretty unhelpful and they forgot to put our bags on the airport shuttle and charged us to send them back to US in addition to the mandatory $15 fee that you are charged whether you use it or not - so that was pretty poor for a $500 a night resort. Probably going to go back to the Ritz next time. No beach - have to take a quick water shuttle - but Palomino island is beautiful.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:57 PM
nicky

Dear Joe, <BR> <BR>Let me elaborate on what <BR>I mean by "shabby&gt;' First of <BR>all, your entrance to the <BR>Beachfront rooms had very <BR>little landscaping and <BR>looked almost institutional. <BR>The doors were old grey metal <BR>(What a first impression) and although <BR>the rooms had been renovated. <BR>if you look in the brochures <BR>they do look beautiful, with <BR>four poster beds etc. However, <BR>the renovations were done <BR>just enough to get by, The <BR>sliding doors to the little <BR>patio were old and metal. The <BR>furniture on this little patio <BR>was likeplastic. I'm sorry <BR>but for this money (yes, $500 us in high season or even less <BR>in low season, it just is not <BR>what it is cracked up to be. I guess it is <BR>just what you expect for your <BR>money from these resorts. I have since talked to a few <BR>people who have been there and <BR>agreed. Was it an awful place, <BR>no.. It just <BR>wasn't a place I would go <BR>back to and spend that kind <BR>of money on. We've stayed <BR>at the Ritz in San Juan <BR>several times, and althogh <BR>the beach there is not great <BR>the resort is fabulous, the <BR>grounds beautiful, the service <BR>outstanding and for less then <BR>at the Hyatt. I'm sure <BR>you might possibly enjoy it <BR>but I just think that some <BR>of the literature on it is <BR>alitle deceiving. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 11:35 AM
michele

I have to speak up for the El Conquistador. Went for my honeymoon in June '99. While it is expensive (though we got a great deal at that time), we thought it was a fantastic place. The service was excellent - everybody was friendly and professional. We had an ocean-view room in Las Brisas. Fantastic! We spent every evening before dinner sitting on our balcony. You're up on a cliff, with a view of the bay and of the smaller islands (Vieques, etc.), with the rainforest behind you. The regular rooms there are the size of a suite in many other resorts. <BR> <BR>The pools are wonderful, and the funicular ride down to the bottom of the resort is fun. Yes, you take a short boat ride to go to the beach, but that is part of the fun. Palomino island is very cool. The food there, while expensive, is very good. Our package included breakfast buffet (nice), one dinner, 2 rounds of golf and 2 massages. The Golden Door spa is HIGHLY recommended. And my husband loved the golf course. <BR> <BR>This place does cater to conventions, but the place is so big and varied it really has room for everyone. What it is IS spotless, well-run, with wonderful facilities and gorgeous surroundings. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. I do plan to check out the Dorado soon (this year we're trying the new Our Lucaya on GBI). <BR> <BR>Wherever you stay, a few must-sees: The rainforest - El Yunque (we took a tour from the hotel, it was fantastic). Old San Juan is gorgeous. We actually liked San Cristobal better than El Morro - don't miss it. We rented a car and drove to San Juan for the day - very do-able. <BR> <BR>If you really want an intimate, romantic spot, I've heard the Horned Dorset resort is THE BEST on the island. While we prefer a bigger place with more "stuff" to do, I would definitely check that place out.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Mark

Hyatt Dorado is tops. If you or your husband play golf and love the beach you are steps from the best of both. I can't wait to return you won't be dissapointed. <BR>Have fun!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 03:55 PM
bob

ditto on the dorado. very quiet and secluded resort with great golf on the beach.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:28 AM
deborah

cat-my husband and I and another couple went to puerto rico feb. 1-5, 2001. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton-nice hotel, have seen nicer. Close to airport, you could hear plane noise outside. Age of guests older 45+ For nightlife we went to the Wyndham el san juan, this is the spot, live music and lots going on. The hotel is beautiful inside. If you like steak the palm is there. Another great restaurant is Ajili Mojili in Condado, the Lobster was the best I have ever had. We did a snorkling trip that left from the other side of the island, fajardo, drive about 1 hour. We decided to stay for dinner and go see the El Conquistador, very large beautiful hotel on a hill. Did not see the rooms or the private island. If you want to sit on the beach you have to take the boat to the island. If you stay here there are no restaurants close to the hotel, only the ones part of the El Conquistador, many choices. I would stay there if you don't mind eating just there. We did not see the Hyatt or Westin. Don't miss walking in Old San Juan- we had a great dinner at parrott club. Hope this helps.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:13 PM
Michelle

<BR>For those who have visited both Dorado & Cerromar .... how does Cerromar's beach compare to Dorado's?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:08 PM
Tony

I was at the Westin over Christmas. The beach is nice, the rooms were good. The restaurants were a tremendous disappointment. Reservations lost, long delays, disappointing food, over priced. Reservations for tennis and for massages were also "lost". Overall it's a poorly run hotel.